View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Week 2: vs Raiders 
Team MVP

Post Week 2: vs Raiders
Its preseason. I know.

And its the Raiders.

But our pass rush looks awesome. They seemed dialed in tonight.

Nice catch by Ebron.

I can see some very good things happening with Tate this year. And I can really see coverage opening up for Calvin.

Again, its early and its preseason. But its tough not to like what I've seen in this first quarter.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 15th, 2014, 10:39 pm
League MVP

Post Re: Week 2: vs Raiders
agree there were definitely some positives in that game. looks like this george johnson guy is probably going to make the team and beat out darryl tapp and probaby be in the rotation.

August 16th, 2014, 11:36 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I won't get to watch the game till tomorrow but I did see the 6'6 Kris Durham win the first jump ball of his career on his TD.

August 16th, 2014, 12:57 pm
Team MVP

I got up today and rewatched the second half, and our depth in the secondary really concerns me. Florence isnt even on the team for two weeks and he blew a big coverage assignment (or so it looked like).

Here's a question: Where is Nick Fairley? For being a former 13th overall pick, he sure doesnt stand out.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

August 16th, 2014, 2:38 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Webster likely won a roster spot with his hit on Carr that put Carr out of the game and gave him, (Carr), sore ribs and a concussion.

Probably gonna take Andre Fluellen's Roster spot. He pretty much crapped all over himself.

Fairley came into the game and immediately encroached. Gave the Raiders a free 5 yards. I would not be surprised if he ends up officially as a cap cut. Mosely started in his place.

August 16th, 2014, 4:57 pm
Div 1 - Starter

BillySims wrote:
I would not be surprised if he ends up officially as a cap cut.

I have been wondering about this, too. It seems like Fairley simply does not want to play for the Lions. He has the talent but is making NO EFFORT. It's like he has made a CHOICE that he does not want to play for the Lions and is simply going through whatever motions he thinks he needs to collect a paycheck.

Maybe he wants them to cut him? Perhaps he has delusions that some other team is going to want to sign a mopey head case for a good amount of money? Or maybe he simply no longer cares and is satisfied with the large amount of compensation he has already received.

I don't know what the coaches think and I don't know the full story, but from a fan's perspective it's almost as though he has decided to quit his job with the Lions.

<Sigh.> Another great talent head case. First Titus Young. Now Nick Fairley.

August 16th, 2014, 8:43 pm
League MVP

Growler wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I would not be surprised if he ends up officially as a cap cut.

I have been wondering about this, too. It seems like Fairley simply does not want to play for the Lions. He has the talent but is making NO EFFORT. It's like he has made a CHOICE that he does not want to play for the Lions and is simply going through whatever motions he thinks he needs to collect a paycheck.

Maybe he wants them to cut him? Perhaps he has delusions that some other team is going to want to sign a mopey head case for a good amount of money? Or maybe he simply no longer cares and is satisfied with the large amount of compensation he has already received.

I don't know what the coaches think and I don't know the full story, but from a fan's perspective it's almost as though he has decided to quit his job with the Lions.

<Sigh.> Another great talent head case. First Titus Young. Now Nick Fairley.

I dont think he s in that Titus Young category. He s extremely talented but not as hardworking as some of his teammates. Still, his game performance is better than backup level. Caldwell is trying to push him towards greatness while also setting an example that you wont play just bc of your name, draft position, etc. I dont see Fairley getting cut bc he s a pretty good player even if some other guys might be more professional.

August 17th, 2014, 12:27 am
Player of the Year - Defense

If stats ever matter to gm's, it's in a contract year. Fairley can mope around if he wants, but he's only lowering his future salary, whether he's here or not. Caldwell's being smart. If you aren't going to perform, take a seat. Especially at this time of the year when others need that extra practice time to improve. It should motivate Fairley and show that the past doesn't earn you anything, and it's also sending the message to the rest of the team that even 1st round picks can be benched.

Fairley and Young are two completely different circumstances. Young was mental, Fairley is just lazy.

As to the game, the loss means nothing. The starting offense looked good, the starting defense looked good. The Oline must be on #teamkellen because they don't want to block for Danny O. It also says a lot when the Raiders needed to keep bringing a few 1's and 2's back in the 3rd and 4th quarters just to stay in the game.

Besides Fairley's offsides, i wouldn't worry too much about penalties right now. The league is focused on any touching past 5 yards, and if you've looked at other games around the league, there's been a ton more penalties called. The defense is also playing base packages, not what we'll see on a daily basis. And while we all keep track of the training camp news, just remember that the media only sees a portion of practices. Most of it is all behind closed doors.

Going into game 3, i want to see consistency. Can they keep performing at the same level or better. Or is there a drop off. Jacksonville has a decent defense so will be interesting to see. And same with week 4 against Buffalo. See how Schwartz can handle our offense.

August 17th, 2014, 3:01 am
Div 1 - Starter

It was a nice game (for preseason), but watching Fairley fail to perform - again - got me wishing the Lions had picked Aaron Donald instead of Ebron. Fauria is actually turning into the big pass-catching target Lombardi wants, *and* Fauria's blocking has improved, and Fauria has way better hands.

But looking down the road, Suh might be gone, Fairley is definitely gone, and Mosley is in his low-30's. Having Reid and Donald both in-house would make that whole situation look a bit better.

August 17th, 2014, 1:16 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Don't judge linemen based on their performance in preseason games:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-pres ... ter-2012-9

August 17th, 2014, 1:59 pm
Div 1 - Starter

JL wrote:
It was a nice game (for preseason), but watching Fairley fail to perform - again - got me wishing the Lions had picked Aaron Donald instead of Ebron.

It has me wishing they had drafted someone else instead of Nick Fairley. Long-term he's going to end up being a wasted 2011 #13 draft pick and he really hasn't contributed that much for the team in his time here. That leaves the Lions with two high first round draft picks spent on DT's. One hasn't performed very well. The other is outstanding but so good that he has the leverage to make himself difficult to sign. It's Lions' luck I guess. We can live without an expensive underperforming Fairley, but I sure hope they can keep Suh without breaking the bank.

August 17th, 2014, 4:51 pm
Team MVP

Growler wrote:
JL wrote:
It was a nice game (for preseason), but watching Fairley fail to perform - again - got me wishing the Lions had picked Aaron Donald instead of Ebron.

It has me wishing they had drafted someone else instead of Nick Fairley. Long-term he's going to end up being a wasted 2011 #13 draft pick and he really hasn't contributed that much for the team in his time here. That leaves the Lions with two high first round draft picks spent on DT's. One hasn't performed very well. The other is outstanding but so good that he has the leverage to make himself difficult to sign. It's Lions' luck I guess. We can live without an expensive underperforming Fairley, but I sure hope they can keep Suh without breaking the bank.

I agree. I wouldnt care if they dumped Fairley tonight. I sure as heck wouldnt lose sleep over it. Suh on the other hand, id be shocked if he was a Lion next year, but if thats the case its really gonna hurt to see him in another jersey. I still stand by the Lions not picking Aaron Donald though. I dont believe in taking a DT that high in the draft. Though I wasnt a HUGE fan of taking Ebron (though I understand it), I think in the long run its a better pick than if we would have taken Donald. Ebron really can be a difference maker once he gets comfortable at the pro level, which its starting to look like he is a little.

August 17th, 2014, 5:50 pm
League MVP

i think the fairley bashing is overblown. his production at a cheap rookie contract salary has been worth it and in no way is the guy a bust. it would make little sense to cut him right now. he s still a good player just one that perhaps could be great but isnt motivated to be great. as for suh, people seem to disregard the fact that he wants no part of being in detroit, that his salary demands are greater than his level of play, and that perhaps his cap space is better spent at DE and CB.

August 17th, 2014, 10:30 pm
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
i think the fairley bashing is overblown. his production at a cheap rookie contract salary has been worth it and in no way is the guy a bust. it would make little sense to cut him right now. he s still a good player just one that perhaps could be great but isnt motivated to be great. as for suh, people seem to disregard the fact that he wants no part of being in detroit, that his salary demands are greater than his level of play, and that perhaps his cap space is better spent at DE and CB.

Yeah, but at least he comes to play though. At least Suh shows up in tip top shape and plays hard every snap. Fairley is a guy thats always out of shape and takes every other play off. Why on earth would you want a guy on your team that you have to motivate to get to play to his potential? Shouldnt living the dream of playing in the NFL be motivating enough? Shouldnt being drafted, in the 1st round, 13th overall be motivating enough? Or the fact that he makes 10 times more money than probably everyone he graduated with be motivating? NOPE. Apparently not.

Im not literally saying to dump him right now, but if they did I wouldnt care.

August 18th, 2014, 5:09 am
3rd Round Selection

Anyone else a bit worried by Caldwell's two challenges? To me, both were low chance of success challenges with low potential rewards.

August 18th, 2014, 8:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next