View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Week 2: vs Raiders 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Week 2: vs Raiders
UK Lion wrote:
Anyone else a bit worried by Caldwell's two challenges? To me, both were low chance of success challenges with low potential rewards.

didnt he win the first one?

August 18th, 2014, 9:30 am
Hall of Fame Player

Yes he did Joe.

August 18th, 2014, 11:58 am
3rd Round Selection

regularjoe12 wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
Anyone else a bit worried by Caldwell's two challenges? To me, both were low chance of success challenges with low potential rewards.

Yes he did - but for 8 yards of field position. IMO, even though he won, it was a mistake to use it in that situation, given the gain was so low and it's difficult to conclusively prove the ball didn't hit the Lions player.

August 18th, 2014, 12:56 pm
NFL Veteran

UK Lion wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

Yes he did - but for 8 yards of field position. IMO, even though he won, it was a mistake to use it in that situation, given the gain was so low and it's difficult to conclusively prove the ball didn't hit the Lions player.

This is the preseason, the coaches will take the first opportunity to challenge something to practice the procedure. They aren't even worried about winning the game, it's all just live practice to prepare for the season. The preseason is an awful indicator of the choices a head coach would make in an actual game. Every call they make in the preseason is designed to let them see how players and the staff will react to a given scenario, it's not about how that scenario will help win the game.

August 18th, 2014, 1:09 pm
League MVP

kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
i think the fairley bashing is overblown. his production at a cheap rookie contract salary has been worth it and in no way is the guy a bust. it would make little sense to cut him right now. he s still a good player just one that perhaps could be great but isnt motivated to be great. as for suh, people seem to disregard the fact that he wants no part of being in detroit, that his salary demands are greater than his level of play, and that perhaps his cap space is better spent at DE and CB.

Yeah, but at least he comes to play though. At least Suh shows up in tip top shape and plays hard every snap. Fairley is a guy thats always out of shape and takes every other play off. Why on earth would you want a guy on your team that you have to motivate to get to play to his potential? Shouldnt living the dream of playing in the NFL be motivating enough? Shouldnt being drafted, in the 1st round, 13th overall be motivating enough? Or the fact that he makes 10 times more money than probably everyone he graduated with be motivating? NOPE. Apparently not.

Im not literally saying to dump him right now, but if they did I wouldnt care.

on a high school or college team i would agree but the salary cap means the bottom line is production vs salary. i dont think fairley is going to be asking for the highest defensive player contract in the league. i have a hard time committing to fairley long term bc it seems that guys that dont take care of there bodies in the nfl will wash out of the league even if they are as talented as he is. suh wants a record setting contract that in my opinion he doesnt deserve. he s disruptive and his strength/athleticism is amazing but i still dont think he plays within the scheme or learns new techniques. he can work hard all he wants but until he s about the team rather than ndamukong suh im not sure i want him either.

August 18th, 2014, 2:57 pm
3rd Round Selection

rao wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

This is the preseason, the coaches will take the first opportunity to challenge something to practice the procedure. They aren't even worried about winning the game, it's all just live practice to prepare for the season. The preseason is an awful indicator of the choices a head coach would make in an actual game. Every call they make in the preseason is designed to let them see how players and the staff will react to a given scenario, it's not about how that scenario will help win the game.

Well, we'll see. For a guy where one of the main knocks on him coming into Detroit was "poor game manager", seeing two challenge decisions that were poor doesn't help get rid of that concern - pre-season or not.

August 19th, 2014, 4:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2