View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 1:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Preseason week 4. Lions @ Bills. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Preseason week 4. Lions @ Bills.
regularjoe12 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
I don't see why we'd keep Moore on the roster. No one is going to pick him up off waivers, so put him on the practice squad. Our season is screwed if Stafford misses serious time regardless!

Exactly! Lets look at the options/scenarios here:

1) Worst case - the Lions release him and he gets picked up by another team. Outcome: is there really much difference between Moore and someone you sign off the street at that point? Josh Freeman, David Garrard, Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn, Seneca Wallace, etc. (and a host of QBs who are about to hit the waiver wire).

2) Best case - the Lions release him, clears waivers and is put on the PS. He is our 3rd QB without taking up a roster spot.

Honestly, the risk of the worse case is well worth it IMO. I'd much rather have someone on the 53 who is going to contribute, even if that means picking up a waived player of a team we are going to face just to pick his brains about an opponent.

In reality, the question I have is who is the better backup QB between Dan O and Kellen, make your choice and let the other one walk.

I guarantee you, if we cut him with the intent of putting him on the Practice Squad, The Bills will pick him up. The Bills have maybe the worst QB situation in the NFL after Manuel.

why would they when they just cut Thad? he was a Lions castoff with about the same potential as Moore...

They need STARTER capable guys, not perrenial backups like Moore is destined to be. He doesnt have the armstrength to be anyones starter.

And he just ripped them a new rectum. You think they might have taken notice of him? EJ Manuel is their starter. But, their backups are seriously lacking.

August 29th, 2014, 5:53 pm
Div 1 - Starter

There's a lot more to being a QB than having a cannon for an arm. Can he make make accurate throws up to 20 yards? I'll take a QB who can consistenly make accurate 20 yard throws and who makes good decisions and who avoids interceptions and who can find the open man but who can't make accurate 40 or 50 yard throws over a guy who can sometimes make 40 yard throws but who isn't very consistent within 20 yards and who isn't a playmaker.

August 29th, 2014, 10:32 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Bills just signed Orton as their backup.

August 30th, 2014, 12:24 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

njroar wrote:

Sorry to side track but does anyone else think that Orton would be a Superbowl winning QB had Lovie done the right thing?

August 30th, 2014, 11:54 am
League MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
njroar wrote:

Sorry to side track but does anyone else think that Orton would be a Superbowl winning QB had Lovie done the right thing?

no

right thing = benching grossman?

August 30th, 2014, 12:18 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Legend wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
njroar wrote:

no

Yes. The bears just needed a guy to take care of the ball and play a little keep away from Peyton in the rain

August 30th, 2014, 10:11 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Killwill25 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
njroar wrote:

no

Yes. The bears just needed a guy to take care of the ball and play a little keep away from Peyton in the rain

I agree with Killwill here. when the game started 7-0, what the bears really needed was a QB who wouldnt give the game away. That r them IMO. But rex did as Rex does and now it doesnt matter ;)

September 2nd, 2014, 10:11 am
League MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
njroar wrote:

no

I agree with Killwill here. when the game started 7-0, what the bears really needed was a QB who wouldnt give the game away. That r them IMO. But rex did as Rex does and now it doesnt matter ;)

Colts recovered from that kickoff return and took the lead without any help from Grossman whatsoever. Grossman had a bad pick 6 later and fumbled some snaps but the Colts had 3 turnovers themselves. The Bears biggest problem was there defense vs the Colts offense, they did a decent enough job to slow Manning and Wayne/Harrison but the Colts dominated the clock and the game with Rhodes and Addai who combined for over 250 yards and time of possession was almost 2:1. Thats what really happened...but its easier to just say the coach should ve played the backup QB. Nevermind that Kyle Orton's play in 2005 was actually worse than Grossman in 2006.

September 2nd, 2014, 11:35 am

The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
njroar wrote:

no

Colts recovered from that kickoff return and took the lead without any help from Grossman whatsoever. Grossman had a bad pick 6 later and fumbled some snaps but the Colts had 3 turnovers themselves. The Bears biggest problem was there defense vs the Colts offense, they did a decent enough job to slow Manning and Wayne/Harrison but the Colts dominated the clock and the game with Rhodes and Addai who combined for over 250 yards and time of possession was almost 2:1. Thats what really happened...but its easier to just say the coach should ve played the backup QB. Nevermind that Kyle Orton's play in 2005 was actually worse than Grossman in 2006.

Really? thats kind of a bold statement. both barely etched an above 50% completion, both had more picks than TD's. Yeah one "Played better" than the other...and the poop i did yesterday smelled better than the one I did the day before! ;)

the difference IMO is that Rex would flat out lose games all by himself after he made a mistake. you could see his confidence shatter. We called him "Sad Panda" once he got that look on his face. Somthing you could easily see in him by 1/2 time. Im not say8ing they would have won that game with Otrton, but I liked their chances better.

September 2nd, 2014, 12:35 pm
League MVP

reg joe
Quote:
Colts recovered from that kickoff return and took the lead without any help from Grossman whatsoever. Grossman had a bad pick 6 later and fumbled some snaps but the Colts had 3 turnovers themselves. The Bears biggest problem was there defense vs the Colts offense, they did a decent enough job to slow Manning and Wayne/Harrison but the Colts dominated the clock and the game with Rhodes and Addai who combined for over 250 yards and time of possession was almost 2:1. Thats what really happened...but its easier to just say the coach should ve played the backup QB.[b] Nevermind that Kyle Orton's play in 2005 was actually worse than Grossman in 2006

Really? thats kind of a bold statement. both barely etched an above 50% completion, both had more picks than TD's. Yeah one "Played better" than the other...and the poop i did yesterday smelled better than the one I did the day before! ;)

the difference IMO is that Rex would flat out lose games all by himself after he made a mistake. you could see his confidence shatter. We called him "Sad Panda" once he got that look on his face. Somthing you could easily see in him by 1/2 time. Im not say8ing they would have won that game with Otrton, but I liked their chances better.

i will agree that they were both bad. orton in 2005 had a ridiculously low yards/attempt of 5.1, started 15 games with only 9 TDs and passer rating under 60. grossman the next year had more turnovers but was better moving the ball down the field 6.7 ypa, rating over 70 and 23 tds. btw grossman was 23 tds/20 ints so he did have more tds than ints, orton was 9td/13 int. orton did become quite a bit better in 2008, so Ill give you that but doubt the coaching staff had a lot of confidence in him at the time of that super bowl game

September 2nd, 2014, 1:37 pm

The Legend wrote:
reg joe
Quote:
Colts recovered from that kickoff return and took the lead without any help from Grossman whatsoever. Grossman had a bad pick 6 later and fumbled some snaps but the Colts had 3 turnovers themselves. The Bears biggest problem was there defense vs the Colts offense, they did a decent enough job to slow Manning and Wayne/Harrison but the Colts dominated the clock and the game with Rhodes and Addai who combined for over 250 yards and time of possession was almost 2:1. Thats what really happened...but its easier to just say the coach should ve played the backup QB.[b] Nevermind that Kyle Orton's play in 2005 was actually worse than Grossman in 2006

i will agree that they were both bad. orton in 2005 had a ridiculously low yards/attempt of 5.1, started 15 games with only 9 TDs and passer rating under 60. grossman the next year had more turnovers but was better moving the ball down the field 6.7 ypa, rating over 70 and 23 tds. btw grossman was 23 tds/20 ints so he did have more tds than ints, orton was 9td/13 int. orton did become quite a bit better in 2008, so Ill give you that but doubt the coaching staff had a lot of confidence in him at the time of that super bowl game

IMO Grossman "won out" because of his upside. when the kid was on he was spectacular. the problem with him is that when he imploded (which turned out was going to be often) he REALLY imploded! He makes cutler look stable and consistant! lol
With THAT defense the game controller is the guy I would want at QB. That D could win games by itself, just put an QB who wont lose it for ya and you SHOULD be set. Rex was not that guy.

September 2nd, 2014, 2:01 pm
NFL Veteran

regularjoe12 wrote:
IMO Grossman "won out" because of his upside. when the kid was on he was spectacular. the problem with him is that when he imploded (which turned out was going to be often) he REALLY imploded! He makes cutler look stable and consistant! lol
With THAT defense the game controller is the guy I would want at QB. That D could win games by itself, just put an QB who wont lose it for ya and you SHOULD be set. Rex was not that guy.

I would look at it differently. The Indy offense was equally as good as that Bears defense and its far more likely all things being equal the defense would only slow down the offense not stop it. If I'm the Bears I would also go with the guy that can be a difference maker instead of the guy I know won't make any plays for good or bad.

September 2nd, 2014, 8:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2