View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 24th, 2018, 3:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions FA acquisitions. 
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: Lions FA acquisitions.
The Legend wrote:
I think it would be disappointing if the Lions dont come away with a good runner in this draft but signing Ridley maybe makes them feel comfortable to the point where they dont have to reach for a RB if they miss on the guys they have targetted

Exactly!

April 2nd, 2016, 12:06 pm
3rd Round Selection

liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I think it would be disappointing if the Lions dont come away with a good runner in this draft but signing Ridley maybe makes them feel comfortable to the point where they dont have to reach for a RB if they miss on the guys they have targetted

Exactly!

We have talented enough runners on our roster already. You give them a solid O-line, and our guys can make the running game quite substantial. Between Abdullah, and Riddick, we have the speed, and catching ability covered quite well. As far as short yardage situations, don't forget that Burton is still on the roster, and he's only going to get better in his second year. Call it wishful thinking, but I have a lot of confidence in Zenner for the 1st down runs, and if for some reason, he hasn't fully recovered by September, we have Ridley.

The focus should be on the trenches. If we could get a good, quality starter on either side of the line in this draft, and maybe some depth at the QB, and secondary, I'd call it a solid draft.

April 2nd, 2016, 3:43 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

DayDreamer wrote:
liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Exactly!

We have talented enough runners on our roster already. You give them a solid O-line, and our guys can make the running game quite substantial. Between Abdullah, and Riddick, we have the speed, and catching ability covered quite well. As far as short yardage situations, don't forget that Burton is still on the roster, and he's only going to get better in his second year. Call it wishful thinking, but I have a lot of confidence in Zenner for the 1st down runs, and if for some reason, he hasn't fully recovered by September, we have Ridley.

The focus should be on the trenches. If we could get a good, quality starter on either side of the line in this draft, and maybe some depth at the QB, and secondary, I'd call it a solid draft.

I agree with this. I really don't want to see them spend a pick on a RB unless someone really great falls for amazing value. OL and QB are the only offensive positions I would like to see them draft, maybe throw in WR late round option to compete with Fuller for the 5th spot.

April 3rd, 2016, 6:22 pm
NFL Team Captain

rao wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Exactly!

I agree with this. I really don't want to see them spend a pick on a RB unless someone really great falls for amazing value. OL and QB are the only offensive positions I would like to see them draft, maybe throw in WR late round option to compete with Fuller for the 5th spot.

I don't believe they should be oblivious to talent upgrades at any position (except kickers). The focus should be on building quality depth at all positions. If the top player on our board, at our pick, is a WR or RB, so be it. That's just intelligent drafting. The depth on our RB chart looks fine right now, I get that. Can't say the same at WR, we don't have quality depth there, Fuller needs to be replaced. We need LB's badly, and a couple DE's for the rotation, another OT would be nice, Safety outside of Quinn is a question mark.

April 4th, 2016, 11:11 am
3rd Round Selection

liontrax wrote:
I don't believe they should be oblivious to talent upgrades at any position (except kickers). The focus should be on building quality depth at all positions. If the top player on our board, at our pick, is a WR or RB, so be it. That's just intelligent drafting. The depth on our RB chart looks fine right now, I get that. Can't say the same at WR, we don't have quality depth there, Fuller needs to be replaced. We need LB's badly, and a couple DE's for the rotation, another OT would be nice, Safety outside of Quinn is a question mark.

Drafting "BPA" got us Ebron and Fairley among others. Need and talent have to both be factors in who gets drafted. Although, I agree that we can use some upgrades at a lot of positions, if a slightly lower rated player fills an immediate need, I'm okay with forgoing a slightly higher rated player at a position of strength. OL & DL should be addressed early, we need starters there and you can't find starters after the first 2, maybe 3 rounds unless you get extremely lucky. The depth can be addressed in later rounds, where they will have the luxury of time to learn and improve.

April 4th, 2016, 11:42 am
NFL Team Captain

DayDreamer wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Drafting "BPA" got us Ebron and Fairley among others. Need and talent have to both be factors in who gets drafted. Although, I agree that we can use some upgrades at a lot of positions, if a slightly lower rated player fills an immediate need, I'm okay with forgoing a slightly higher rated player at a position of strength. OL & DL should be addressed early, we need starters there and you can't find starters after the first 2, maybe 3 rounds unless you get extremely lucky. The depth can be addressed in later rounds, where they will have the luxury of time to learn and improve.

Sorry, but referencing BPA and Ebron in regards to our misguided 2014 draft selection doesn't make any sense to me. Not when Taylor Lewan, Odell Beckham, Aaron Donald, Zach Martin, and Kyle Fuller were still on the board and all played a position of need greater than TE. That was Mayhew bungling the draft again. Agree that need and talent should be factored in, unless the players talent far supersedes the targeted pick. Disagree that " you can't find starters after the first 2, maybe 3 rounds " I believe that's where a good coaching staff makes they're bones, developing mid-round picks into solid contributors, if not starting caliber players. It takes an eye for talent to identify them, and we haven't had that.

April 4th, 2016, 6:27 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Wallace Gilberry added to the DE rotation. Should give them a player to rotate with Taylor on passing downs.

April 4th, 2016, 7:40 pm
3rd Round Selection

liontrax wrote:
Sorry, but referencing BPA and Ebron in regards to our misguided 2014 draft selection doesn't make any sense to me. Not when Taylor Lewan, Odell Beckham, Aaron Donald, Zach Martin, and Kyle Fuller were still on the board and all played a position of need greater than TE. That was Mayhew bungling the draft again. Agree that need and talent should be factored in, unless the players talent far supersedes the targeted pick. Disagree that " you can't find starters after the first 2, maybe 3 rounds " I believe that's where a good coaching staff makes they're bones, developing mid-round picks into solid contributors, if not starting caliber players. It takes an eye for talent to identify them, and we haven't had that.

Sure, you can develop them, but people drafted in the 3rd round and beyond usually don't start immediately, and we have needs on the roster that need immediate starters, like OT, and DE. As you said, unless the talent differential is too much, we should be looking to address those two positions in the first 2 rounds, where you'll the best chance of landing a day 1 starter. Depth can be addressed in later rounds, and if some of those depth picks develop into eventual starters, even better.

April 5th, 2016, 11:26 am
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

DayDreamer wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Sure, you can develop them, but people drafted in the 3rd round and beyond usually don't start immediately, and we have needs on the roster that need immediate starters, like OT, and DE. As you said, unless the talent differential is too much, we should be looking to address those two positions in the first 2 rounds, where you'll the best chance of landing a day 1 starter. Depth can be addressed in later rounds, and if some of those depth picks develop into eventual starters, even better.

I disagree. You should be able to to find plenty of starters in the 3rd and 4th rounds. You can still find quality linemen on both sides of the ball, nickel WR's and DB's, loads of LB's, committee RB's...tons of guys there. The problem is, that we have missed on these picks for so long, many Lions fans don't think it's possible anymore. But it happens all the time.

April 5th, 2016, 1:10 pm
NFL Team Captain

DayDreamer wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Disagree. Odds are we already have our immediate starters at OT and DE. Ziggy and Devin Taylor at DE, Reiff and/or Ola/ Schwartz at OT. I suppose there is a chance that a rookie could supplant one of the vets but I wouldn't pencil them in as immediate starters. But if it plays out that way, that's great, and we have quality depth at key positions. The need for a DE appears to be a priority after studying the roster, don't have many bodies behind the starters.

April 5th, 2016, 4:37 pm
NFL Team Captain

regularjoe12 wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
liontrax wrote:

I disagree. You should be able to to find plenty of starters in the 3rd and 4th rounds. You can still find quality linemen on both sides of the ball, nickel WR's and DB's, loads of LB's, committee RB's...tons of guys there. The problem is, that we have missed on these picks for so long, many Lions fans don't think it's possible anymore. But it happens all the time.

Thank you. Just looking at our starters, it's littered with players selected after the second round. Many of them very good players.

April 5th, 2016, 4:49 pm
3rd Round Selection

liontrax wrote:
Disagree. Odds are we already have our immediate starters at OT and DE. Ziggy and Devin Taylor at DE, Reiff and/or Ola/ Schwartz at OT. I suppose there is a chance that a rookie could supplant one of the vets but I wouldn't pencil them in as immediate starters. But if it plays out that way, that's great, and we have quality depth at key positions. The need for a DE appears to be a priority after studying the roster, don't have many bodies behind the starters.

Rieff/Ola combination wasn't great last season, albeit serviceable in a pinch. And no one knows how long Schwartz might play with his injury concerns. Schwartz and Ola are depth, they're backups (Schwartz might be dedicated G, per Quinn). We NEED a tackle period. Whether we end up with a LT, move Rieff to RT, or we end up with a RT and keep Rieff at LT should be the only possibilities we should entertain. Now, granted, if all the good tackles including Tunsil, Spriggs, Stanley, Conklin, Ifedi and Decker are gone by #16, yeah, we should probably look for other positions, but even if one of those names is still available at #16, that's who we get, unless a top-10 quality DE/DT/CB is available.

As far as DE goes, Taylor might be a good enough starter, but he might not be a 3 down starter. If say Calhoun drops to us in round #2, he'll immediately improve the rotation, and should be considered a day 1 contributor, if not a day 1 starter.

April 5th, 2016, 4:59 pm
3rd Round Selection

liontrax wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Thank you. Just looking at our starters, it's littered with players selected after the second round. Many of them very good players.

I'm talking about day 1 starters. There aren't too many of those after round 2/3, across the league, not just the Lions.

April 5th, 2016, 5:00 pm
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

DayDreamer wrote:
liontrax wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

I'm talking about day 1 starters. There aren't too many of those after round 2/3, across the league, not just the Lions.

Yes, there are. Every year. They may not be superstars, but you CAN find starter quality talent all over rds 3 & 4.

I just looked and on average each year over the past 3 years 8-10 teams found day 1 starters (Us included in Warford) in rd 3, and 5-7 teams found starters in rd 4. Some of the round 3 guys are superstar types (Rustle Wilson was a damn fine grab in the 3rd). You don't have to catch lightning in a bottle to find starters there, you just have to find the right guys.

April 5th, 2016, 5:34 pm
NFL Team Captain

DayDreamer wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Rieff/Ola combination wasn't great last season, albeit serviceable in a pinch. And no one knows how long Schwartz might play with his injury concerns. Schwartz and Ola are depth, they're backups (Schwartz might be dedicated G, per Quinn). We NEED a tackle period. Whether we end up with a LT, move Rieff to RT, or we end up with a RT and keep Rieff at LT should be the only possibilities we should entertain. Now, granted, if all the good tackles including Tunsil, Spriggs, Stanley, Conklin, Ifedi and Decker are gone by #16, yeah, we should probably look for other positions, but even if one of those names is still available at #16, that's who we get, unless a top-10 quality DE/DT/CB is available.

As far as DE goes, Taylor might be a good enough starter, but he might not be a 3 down starter. If say Calhoun drops to us in round #2, he'll immediately improve the rotation, and should be considered a day 1 contributor, if not a day 1 starter.

I prefer Emmanuel Ogbah or Shaq Lawson types of DE's, a little more sand in the pants types. Although pick 16 might be a little rich for either one. Calhoun at 250 lbs. is a little light unless we're going to a 3-4 and he's playing OLB. As for OT's, the 4 tackles the Lions hosted this week, Jason Spriggs of Indiana, Jerald Hawkins of LSU, Shon Coleman of Auburn and Caleb Benenoch of UCLA, none are currently considered day 1 picks. Not to imply they're not day one starters, just saying. Looking at the current top 25 OT rankings, if Conklin's there, he might be good value, though some view him as a RT only. The following rankings haven't been updated since March 22nd. Although it may not change much, if at all by draft day. Imo needs to be taken with a grain of salt, because we have no idea how the teams are ranking them.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/pros ... gs/2016/OT

1 *Laremy Tunsil OT 1 Ole Miss Jr 6-5 310 1
9 *Ronnie Stanley OT 2 Notre Dame rJr 6-6 312 1
18 *Jack Conklin OT 3 Michigan State rJr 6-6 308 1
22 Taylor Decker OT 4 Ohio State Sr 6-7 310 1
34 Jason Spriggs OT 5 Indiana Sr 6-6 301 1-2
42 *Germain Ifedi OT 6 Texas A&M rJr 6-6 324 2
51 *Shon Coleman Injured OT 7 Auburn rJr 6-5 307 2
61 Le'Raven Clark OT 8 Texas Tech rSr 6-5 316 2
78 *Jerald Hawkins OT 9 LSU Jr 6-6 305 2-3
88 John Theus OT 10 Georgia Sr 6-6 313 3
99 Kyle Murphy OT 11 Stanford Sr 6-6 305 3
117 Joe Haeg OT 12 North Dakota State Sr 6-6 304 3-4
125 Cole Toner OT 13 Harvard Sr 6-5 306 4
149 Fahn Cooper OT 14 Ole Miss rSr 6-4 303 4-5
156 Willie Beavers OT 15 Western Michigan rSr 6-5 321 5
186 Brandon Shell OT 16 South Carolina rSr 6-5 324 5-6
200 Alex Lewis OT 17 Nebraska rSr 6-6 312 6
214 *Avery Young OT 18 Auburn rJr 6-5 328 6
228 Pearce Slater OT 19 San Diego State Sr 6-7 329 6-7
249 Nick Richter OT 20 Richmond rSr 6-5 304 7
259 *Caleb Benenoch OT 21 UCLA Jr 6-5 311 7-FA
267 Clay DeBord OT 22 Eastern Washington rSr 6-6 308 7-FA
286 Joe Gore OT 23 Clemson rSr 6-5 300 7-FA
294 Halapoulivaati Vaitai OT 24 TCU Sr 6-6 320 7-FA
317 Taylor Fallin OT 25 Memphis rSr 6-6 340 7-FA

If the top OT's and DE's are gone, or the value doesn't fit, we could be looking at a CB or LB at 16. Or better yet, a trade back.

April 5th, 2016, 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next