View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 21st, 2018, 9:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: NFL Draft Day 1 
RIP Killer

Post GAME DAY THREAD: NFL Draft Day 1
The most exciting day of the year for Lions fans is finally here. Who will they take? Will they trade up/down? Will they take that guy you love?

Put all your thoughts about the first round here.

Join fellow Lions fans during the draft in the Lionbacker Chat Room - http://www.lionbacker.com/chat

GO LIONS!

April 28th, 2016, 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: NFL Draft Day 1
There are only 2 elite OT's in this draft. They will both be gone by pick 8. Conklin and Decker are next. But, they will only be average NFL OT's. We had better not draft an average OT over a pro bowl caliber defensive player just because the perception is that we need an OT. If we do, it is an early indication that not 1 damn thing has changed but the faces.

April 28th, 2016, 10:43 am
3rd Round Selection

I'm actually ok with taking Decker or Conklin. Although they're not elite, they're definitely better than what we have at a position of grave need.

That said, I'd also be good with Dodd, or one of the top DTs like Robinson or Reed. I'm not entirely convinced about Lawson, he could turn out to be the next Fairley.

My guess is Reed, Kelly, Dodd and Decker might still be available if we trade down to the 20s. So, that's what I predicting.

April 28th, 2016, 11:00 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I'm hoping they land Kelly with a trade down ideally, but even at 16 is fine with me. I won't be to sad if they take someone else since I feel like Quinn will make a solid football decision and not get mesmerized by shiny things the way previous GMs have.

I'm also very curious as to how much medical will play into Quinn's decisions because there is a lot of talk of Myles Jack dropping. It's possible you don't get much time with Jack before he needs microfracture surgery and then who knows if or how he will play after that, but those few years could be all pro.

April 28th, 2016, 11:35 am
Player of the Year - Offense

Don't get cute! Trade down or draft a lineman.

My ideal scenario: trade down and grab Spriggs.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

April 28th, 2016, 12:44 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Don't get cute! Trade down or draft a lineman.

My ideal scenario: trade down and grab Spriggs.

I'm cool with a trade down. But, I would prefer Hawkins from LSU in the 3rd round for our RT.

I think Riley Reif is a capable LT, WHEN WE USE THE POWER BLOCKING SCHEME!!!!

All indications are that we are using the power blocking scheme now that Cooter is the OC.

I hope we trade down and pick up a 3rd rounder. Then hopefully, we DL in both the 1st and 2nd round. Then use the 3rd round pick we got in the trade down on Hawkins from LSU. Then use our comp pick on a center. Either Adams? From MSU or Glasgow from UofM.

Personally, I think Glasgow might just be the most under rated OL in a he draft. This guy is mammoth. 6'5" with an arm span that LT's wish they had. He is a knee bender so he can play lower than his height would suggest. And, he is a rare commodity in that he is a Center that can pull and trap easily. A surprising number of NFL Centers are not mobile enough to do this with.

April 28th, 2016, 2:54 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
There are only 2 elite OT's in this draft. They will both be gone by pick 8. Conklin and Decker are next. But, they will only be average NFL OT's. We had better not draft an average OT over a pro bowl caliber defensive player just because the perception is that we need an OT. If we do, it is an early indication that not 1 damn thing has changed but the faces.

First off, there's no guarantee of anything. There's nothing at this point that says Conklin can't be a better NFL player than Tunsil, or that Decker can't become a consistent All Pro. Secondly, the only thing I'm looking for is that the Lions get the best value for their pick, whether that involves trading down or not. If someone slips to 16 and they can get great value, take him, regardless of position. If they can trade down, get some future picks or some picks in rounds 3 or 4, then do it and use the same formula...best value at that selection spot. If it means a guard, then take him. We can always kick someone like Tomlinson outside to right tackle. We did it with Damien Woody, and he became one of the better RTs in the league for a couple seasons.

If Conklin is on the board and represents the best TALENT available, I won't be bothered by the pick. The past couple drafts the Lions didn't take the best talent, they took players they felt best fit their system, and best filled a need. Systems don't win games, talent does.

April 28th, 2016, 4:21 pm
NFL Team Captain

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

First off, there's no guarantee of anything. There's nothing at this point that says Conklin can't be a better NFL player than Tunsil, or that Decker can't become a consistent All Pro. Secondly, the only thing I'm looking for is that the Lions get the best value for their pick, whether that involves trading down or not. If someone slips to 16 and they can get great value, take him, regardless of position. If they can trade down, get some future picks or some picks in rounds 3 or 4, then do it and use the same formula...best value at that selection spot. If it means a guard, then take him. We can always kick someone like Tomlinson outside to right tackle. We did it with Damien Woody, and he became one of the better RTs in the league for a couple seasons.

If Conklin is on the board and represents the best TALENT available, I won't be bothered by the pick. The past couple drafts the Lions didn't take the best talent, they took players they felt best fit their system, and best filled a need. Systems don't win games, talent does.

Agree! How many times have there been " can't miss " or " future all pro " attached to some of these early 1st round OT's that don't pan out? Conklin too me is a safe pick if he's there. At worst, he's a decent to good RT or G. A few scouting reports are saying he doesn't have the feet to play LT. Just get the best talent and if it's at a position of need, great.

April 28th, 2016, 5:02 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

I have seen a few mocks today that had Rankins drop to us.

April 28th, 2016, 9:28 pm
NFL Team Captain

BillySims wrote:
I have seen a few mocks today that had Rankins drop to us.

Not my favorite player. Guess it depends on who's there. How about Tunsil and Jack falling? Way to shake-up the draft.

April 28th, 2016, 9:35 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I just hope Tunsil is gone so I don't have to sweat over them taking the hot mess that he is off the field not to mention his durability issues.

April 28th, 2016, 9:37 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Well, so much for todays mocks. LOL. Rankins to the Saints.

April 28th, 2016, 9:37 pm
NFL Team Captain

Take a chance on Jack if he's there?

April 28th, 2016, 9:38 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

sweetd20 wrote:
I just hope Tunsil is gone so I don't have to sweat over them taking the hot mess that he is off the field not to mention his durability issues.

Photos of him toking on a bong hit the internet today. Plus, his father in law filed suit against him a couple days ago because of an assault from last June.

April 28th, 2016, 9:39 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Shaq Lawson is my guy. He is a high motor beast that just won't quit. He played half a season with a shoulder in a harness to keep it from popping out. He refused to come out of the game. He will play his rookie season with the harness. Then have surgery as soon as his season is over. He will be ready for his sophomore season without the harness.

April 28th, 2016, 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next