View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 14th, 2018, 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Grahm Glasgow, Center UofM (Rd 3 Comp Pick) 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Re: Grahm Glasgow, Center UofM (Rd 3 Comp Pick)
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Truthfully, I am not that impressed. I am not certain that Glasgow represents that big of an improvement over Swanson. I'm not sure Robinson was a player the Lions needed, but he was good value in the mid-second round. And in Decker I don't see a player that will transition into a top tier LT in the NFL. To me, Reiff and Decker are basically the same player. Decker will be a big upgrade as a RT, but taking a player who gets put at RT and stays there for his career in the first round is considered a huge reach.

Actually, taking an (at least) day-one starter at RT seems to me to be a perfect pick at 16.

I agree with M2K on this because you can get day 1 starters at RT in the 3rd round. 3rd round is the time tested proven way that most teams get their RT's, OG's, and Centers.

April 30th, 2016, 11:23 am
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

BillySims wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Truthfully, I am not that impressed. I am not certain that Glasgow represents that big of an improvement over Swanson. I'm not sure Robinson was a player the Lions needed, but he was good value in the mid-second round. And in Decker I don't see a player that will transition into a top tier LT in the NFL. To me, Reiff and Decker are basically the same player. Decker will be a big upgrade as a RT, but taking a player who gets put at RT and stays there for his career in the first round is considered a huge reach.

Actually, taking an (at least) day-one starter at RT seems to me to be a perfect pick at 16.

I agree with M2K on this because you can get day 1 starters at RT in the 3rd round. 3rd round is the time tested proven way that most teams get their RT's, OG's, and Centers.

and we got one of those in the third! IF these players pan out, this was a very smart draft.

April 30th, 2016, 11:27 am
Martha Firestone Ford

regularjoe12 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

and we got one of those in the third! IF these players pan out, this was a very smart draft.

Yes, we did. But, we also got 1 in the 1st. And that is the point. We drafted, in the 1st, what we could get in the 3rd. It is amazing how you and others just can't seem to grasp the concept. Hawkins is still available. And he will be a good RT. Possibly a day 1 starter at RT for whoever drafts him.

April 30th, 2016, 11:33 am
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Yes, we did. But, we also got 1 in the 1st. And that is the point. We drafted, in the 1st, what we could get in the 3rd. It is amazing how you and others just can't seem to grasp the concept. Hawkins is still available. And he will be a good RT. Possibly a day 1 starter at RT for whoever drafts him.

Because you have to take guys when you have picks. Not to mention you have to pick the talent where it is sitting. Spriggs was the only OT taken after Decker and it was by a OT desperate team. There are no starter RT this year out of the first. Tackle just isn't deep this year. There is no such thing as"time tested proven" in the drafts year in and year out. Some years your way works great, but some years the talent isn't there for that position and you have to plan accordingly. So far it looks like Quinn has done just that.

Edit to add: it's good to see you being rational again. Last night your were being......extreme. Sorry I had to call you out, but you passed rediculous doing 100 miles an hour with your hair on fire!

April 30th, 2016, 11:41 am
Rookie Player of the Year

regularjoe12 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Because you have to take guys when you have picks. Not to mention you have to pick the talent where it is sitting. Spriggs was the only OT taken after Decker and it was by a OT desperate team. There are no starter RT this year out of the first. Tackle just isn't deep this year. There is no such thing as"time tested proven" in the drafts year in and year out. Some years your way works great, but some years the talent isn't there for that position and you have to plan accordingly. So far it looks like Quinn has done just that.

Edit to add: it's good to see you being rational again. Last night your were being......extreme. Sorry I had to call you out, but you passed rediculous doing 100 miles an hour with your hair on fire!

The Titans just did the same thing as the Lions with a higher pick and it's considered a good safe move. Teams get their RT how ever they can find them. When the 49ers were one of the best lines in football they had a pair of 1st rounders at OT. The idea most RTs come from the 3rd round is sketchy at best. A lot of teams have done the same thing as the Lions over the years and I know the Bills, Dolphins, Vikings and GB have 2nd round or better RTs off the top of my head.

April 30th, 2016, 12:38 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

The Titans just did the same thing as the Lions with a higher pick and it's considered a good safe move. Teams get their RT how ever they can find them. When the 49ers were one of the best lines in football they had a pair of 1st rounders at OT. The idea most RTs come from the 3rd round is sketchy at best. A lot of teams have done the same thing as the Lions over the years and I know the Bills, Dolphins, Vikings and GB have 2nd round or better RTs off the top of my head.

The Titans took a player that is being looked at as a left tackle. Everyone knows that is Tunsil's future in the NFL. With Decker, the consideration is that if he is moved to left tackle, he won't be a perennial Pro Bowler, whereas Tunsil has that ability. Decker might work out to be a very solid left tackle in the league, and that would be great. But Decker isn't even close to Tunsil in regards to footwork, pass protection ability, or quickness of hands. He isn't as athletic.

My whole point is that Decker, if moved to the left side, doesn't represent a huge upgrade, if any, over what we currently have in Reiff. Now, if he is kept at right tackle and is a perennial Pro Bowler there, he was worth the pick. But I just don't see that in his future. I've been wrong before, and honestly I hope I'm wrong now. I'm just giving my opinion.

April 30th, 2016, 3:03 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

The Titans took a player that is being looked at as a left tackle. Everyone knows that is Tunsil's future in the NFL. With Decker, the consideration is that if he is moved to left tackle, he won't be a perennial Pro Bowler, whereas Tunsil has that ability. Decker might work out to be a very solid left tackle in the league, and that would be great. But Decker isn't even close to Tunsil in regards to footwork, pass protection ability, or quickness of hands. He isn't as athletic.

My whole point is that Decker, if moved to the left side, doesn't represent a huge upgrade, if any, over what we currently have in Reiff. Now, if he is kept at right tackle and is a perennial Pro Bowler there, he was worth the pick. But I just don't see that in his future. I've been wrong before, and honestly I hope I'm wrong now. I'm just giving my opinion.

Titans took Conklin, Dolphins got Tunsil. Dolphins also have a 1st rounder playing RT even before they drafted Tunsil.

April 30th, 2016, 3:08 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

I have skepticism about Decker as well, I just don't know. I think there is a lot to like, but some stuff is maybe missing. Time will tell. If he can push Reiff to RT, you got better at 2 spots with one pick. That's something all by itself. If he brings the nasty attitude to the OL and is a leader like they are saying, I think this pick will be just fine. The Lions have too many good, quiet dudes on the team. They need some thumpers with an attitude to set the tone. Maybe we are seeing that this weekend.

I was hoping for Conklin, and was crossing my fingers when Tunsil was sliding. What I liked best about Conklin was the power he shows. Decker shows a lot of that as well, but I thought Conklin had better game film from what I was able to watch online.

April 30th, 2016, 3:36 pm
Pro Bowl Player

rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:
He and Decker will be best friends! HaHaHa!!!

Decker could just be blowing smoke but he did say Glasgow is one of his favorite guys he met through the draft process. It makes sense they get along really well given the rivalry and they are both from the same midwestern area.

Also, despite being a Wolverine and a Buckeye, being both on OL gives them something in common, and they never technically faced off. Ive heard it said time and again that being on the same side of ball tends to make a big difference. If it was a UM DT vs an OSU OL that were say 2-3 year competing with eachother it might be a little more intense.

May 1st, 2016, 3:30 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Just for comparison s sake, I thought David Molk was a much better center and NFL prospect than Glasgow with superior strength and technique as well as experience at the position. Molk went in Round 7 and didnt really pan out after some injuries (I suspect were likely steroid use related). Glasgow with exceptional size should be more versatile and have greater longevity in the league. Not sure if he s the answer at center long term but its good to have depth and competition in that OL group and if Tomlinson continues to appear clueless on the field Glasgow can probably give him a run for his spot also.

May 1st, 2016, 9:23 am
League MVP

Billy, I'm curious here. The Lions have scouts. They have an organization filled with guys who are professionals in this job. They know more about these players than you, me, or any of us ever will. They've watched them more than any of us. Met them. Had dinner with some. Worked out some. They as a team put together a board whete after a year full of scouting and evaluating, draw up a list and order of how they value them for this team. This is their job. Yet you keep talking about this Hawkins guy, who I agree is a good player, and say they could have had him later and would be a better pick. So it's YOUR opinion that u keep going on and on about, versus a whole professional sports organization. With all due respect, are you thinking for some weird reason that one of those guys will scan the Internet forums hoping they can find a "fan" that can help them in the war room?

Not saying the Lions are always right, but man. Let them do their job man, especially since it's a whole new GM doing this.

May 1st, 2016, 9:53 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

kdsberman wrote:
Billy, I'm curious here. The Lions have scouts. They have an organization filled with guys who are professionals in this job. They know more about these players than you, me, or any of us ever will. They've watched them more than any of us. Met them. Had dinner with some. Worked out some. They as a team put together a board whete after a year full of scouting and evaluating, draw up a list and order of how they value them for this team. This is their job. Yet you keep talking about this Hawkins guy, who I agree is a good player, and say they could have had him later and would be a better pick. So it's YOUR opinion that u keep going on and on about, versus a whole professional sports organization. With all due respect, are you thinking for some weird reason that one of those guys will scan the Internet forums hoping they can find a "fan" that can help them in the war room?

Not saying the Lions are always right, but man. Let them do their job man, especially since it's a whole new GM doing this.

Each team has a different strategy and the Lions front office has a history of drafting worse than what some unemployed guys who just really love football could do with there only tools being TV, radio and an internet connection. Billy and everyone else on here has the right to criticize picks although we are all aided by the fact that more often than not - players dont pan out. Failure is more common than success in the NFL so the real difficulty is not in criticizing the pick but presenting the alternatives.

Two players I really liked at OT in this draft were Spriggs and Hawkins. Now, I dont have 3 seasons worth of tape and meeting them for interviews, etc. I base it purely on what I have seen of them in either big games or when they were playing vs local schools in Spriggs case plus scouting reports, highlights, and measurables. You are right we are going off of less than what the Lions scouting department has access to but each of us looks for certain traits and the front office's are doing the same thing to make there assessment. The Lions may have passed on these guys but when I saw Spriggs get taken by the Packers and then Hawkins get picked by the Steelers I felt sick to my stomach bc each of these teams has a history of building good lines usually without sacrificing major resources like taking one in Rd 1 3 out of 5 years. These franchises historically get ahead by taking solid immediate starter Left tackles like David Bakhtiari in Round 4 or someone who can develop into a good NFL LT in Round 7 like Kelvin Beachum while the Lions are trying to get there entire line in the top 3 rounds but with less production.

May 1st, 2016, 10:27 am
Martha Firestone Ford

kdsberman wrote:

You are the one going on and on about it. I have been over it since day 2 ended. For the record. I did not say that Hawkins is better than Decker. I said that Decker is only MAGINALLY better than Hawkins. My only problem with the pick is NOT the position Decker plays. It's that Decker was NOT the best player at a position of need available. Lawson was a much better player at a position of need. Both OT and DE were positions of need. And we took the lesser player of the 2. If you can't understand that, then I am not going to keep beating my head against the wall arguing with you. I will just let it play out on the field. Maybe someday, you will admit I was right. I will do the same if I am wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. Probably won't be the last. But, I man up when I am wrong. I have done several times in the past.

May 1st, 2016, 10:40 am
League MVP

So YOU think Decker is marginally better. You. A fan. Someone who knows no more than a few games or maybe YouTube videos. I guess Green Bay is crazy because they took Spriggs before Hawkins. Or Cleveland taking Shon Coleman in the 3rd. Bunch of dummies, they could have had Hawkins. Stupid Colts. Taking La'Raven Clark before Hawkins. Good thing the Steelers got him at the end of the 4th. 123rd overall. So all those teams before the Steelers are stupid. They should have talked to BillySims who had all the draft evaluations. So if the dumb Lions wouldn't have picked him, how far would he have fallen??

May 1st, 2016, 12:52 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

kdsberman wrote:
So YOU think Decker is marginally better. You. A fan. Someone who knows no more than a few games or maybe YouTube videos. I guess Green Bay is crazy because they took Spriggs before Hawkins. Or Cleveland taking Shon Coleman in the 3rd. Bunch of dummies, they could have had Hawkins. Stupid Colts. Taking La'Raven Clark before Hawkins. Good thing the Steelers got him at the end of the 4th. 123rd overall. So all those teams before the Steelers are stupid. They should have talked to BillySims who had all the draft evaluations. So if the dumb Lions wouldn't have picked him, how far would he have fallen??

You know what? You are just trying to start a fight. So, you can just bite me right on the brown star. You are not worth arguing with. Don't talk to me until you grow little boy.

May 1st, 2016, 3:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next