View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 13th, 2018, 1:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Joe Dahl 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Joe Dahl
97. Joe Dahl, OG, Washington State (6-4 1/8, 304, 5.18 40)

Lions weren't kidding about making changes on the Oline.

April 30th, 2016, 2:30 pm
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: Joe Dahl
Does this basically tell you what Quinn thinks of the O-linemen his predecessor drafted?

April 30th, 2016, 2:32 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

liontrax wrote:
Does this basically tell you what Quinn thinks of the O-linemen his predecessor drafted?

Yep, pretty damning.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

April 30th, 2016, 2:35 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I think it was just a value pick. He was projected to go higher by a few places and has the ability to kick back out to OT in an emergency.

April 30th, 2016, 2:36 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

It might say more about who they had accumulated prior. There are a lot of street guys at the bottom of the chart, with few to no young drafted guys in backup roles. Having Glasgow or Swanson as the top interior backup for the 3 spots seems much better than Keyton or Cave.

Quinn said directly that he would be working to improve depth. It seems that he is doing just that.

April 30th, 2016, 2:38 pm
NFL Team Captain

Enjoyed this right-up from Gil Brandt - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -nfl-draft

Joe Dahl, OG, Washington State: Dahl (6-4 1/8, 304, 5.11) is one of my favorites in this draft. I like players who transfer up (think J.J. Watt); Dahl spent his freshman year at Montana before transferring to Wazzu, where he was a three-year starter at left guard and left tackle. He could play multiple positions at the next level, including center, but I think guard is his best position. He's strong (28 bench reps). Some team will draft him in the second round; others will wish they had.

April 30th, 2016, 2:40 pm
3rd Round Selection

I don't see this as an indictment of Mayhew's interior line picks. Glasgow maybe, but not this pick. Quinn has stated that he will go with the BPA regardless of position and that says a lot about the quality of the depth that Mayhew had behind the starters.

Those watching OTA's and training camp are sure to see smoke coming off the LoS and out of line drills as O-line and D-line strive for a roster spot. :thumbsup:

April 30th, 2016, 6:15 pm
RIP Killer

This was a good pick. He had incredible value in that round, and let's face it, Warford was dynamic in his rookie year but has failed to live up to it since then. Tomlinson began to show improvement at the end of last season, but certainly wasn't all that great. Dahl gives them someone to push the competition, and has the versatility to play all five line spots. As much as I'm not a fan of a few of these picks, this one was a good one.

April 30th, 2016, 10:24 pm
Pro Bowl Player

rao wrote:
I think it was just a value pick. He was projected to go higher by a few places and has the ability to kick back out to OT in an emergency.

Patriots draft for versatility. Quinn drafted a 1st rnder that has played LT and will play RT, a C who started at OG previously, and a OG who can swing to OT. Sounds plausible.

May 1st, 2016, 1:36 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

m2karateman wrote:
This was a good pick. He had incredible value in that round, and let's face it, Warford was dynamic in his rookie year but has failed to live up to it since then. Tomlinson began to show improvement at the end of last season, but certainly wasn't all that great. Dahl gives them someone to push the competition, and has the versatility to play all five line spots. As much as I'm not a fan of a few of these picks, this one was a good one.

I like this pick also. A guy that was the best OL on his college team so he played wherever he could help the most and now the Lions can cross train him at RT and guard and see where he performs best. This is the type of player the previous two Lions regime never drafted in the middle rounds. One that you couldnt necessarily plug into a certain spot but who you knew could probably help you somewhere eventually when the dust settles. Dahl very well could end up being the Lions starting RT in the not too distant future or he may end up replacing someone inside that doesnt pan out. The type of player that really helps when you are roster building bc things dont always go according to plan as far as where you have each player slotted in.

Glasgow is kind of similar although I expected him to go later than where the Lions took him. Still, when I look back at the batch of players at the end of the day and see they have Dahl and Glasgow that makes you feel good about that OL bc one player that has a bad offseason or gets injured should no longer hurt you as bad as in recent years.

May 1st, 2016, 9:36 am
3rd Round Selection

Starters:
LT - Riley Reiff
LG - Laken Tomlinson
C - Travis Swanson
RG - Larry Warford
RT - Taylor Decker

Backups:
C/G - Graham Glasgow
G/T - Joe Dahl
G/T - Geoff Schwartz

That leaves last years backs UFA and waivers claims Cornelius Lucas, Michael Ola and Corey Robinson all fighting for the #9 spot if the Lions even opt to carry 9 OL. Dahl and Schwartz both might be able to slide over to tackle.

May 1st, 2016, 10:22 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

i would just add hopefully dahl is the type of player you draft and bring along so that later on you dont have to burn 1st rounders on the likes of Taylor Decker, Reiff, or Tomlinson driven more by need than value.

May 1st, 2016, 10:32 am
RIP Killer

Don't cast Geoff Schwartz to the curb just yet. He may start over Tomlinson at LG if he's healthy. He is a very solid player when healthy, unfortunately he's had a ton of ankle problems in the last few years.

Quinn sees him playing G rather than OT, and Tomlinson didn't exactly impress last year. Not to mention, Warford is hurt every other game.

I see the day 1 starters being...
Reiff
Schwartz
Swanson
Warford
Decker

Backups - Glasgow, Dahl,Tomlinson, Ola

May 1st, 2016, 11:42 pm
Walk On

I'm happy to see Quinn address the OL as much as he did and add much needed depth. Stafford won't be on his back if they have to spin the OL carousel due to injuries like they did last season. I also think that if the OL substantially improves then so will the run game. It's a Win Win scenario for that reason.

May 2nd, 2016, 1:53 pm
League MVP

Jafo wrote:
I don't see this as an indictment of Mayhew's interior line picks. Glasgow maybe, but not this pick. Quinn has stated that he will go with the BPA regardless of position and that says a lot about the quality of the depth that Mayhew had behind the starters.

Those watching OTA's and training camp are sure to see smoke coming off the LoS and out of line drills as O-line and D-line strive for a roster spot. :thumbsup:

I agree with this.

On a side note, and I think some have mentioned this already, its almost like Quinn already knew what he had to do before even taking the job. Get these lines upgraded.

May 2nd, 2016, 3:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next