View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 12th, 2018, 6:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Joe Dahl 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Joe Dahl
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
This was a good pick. He had incredible value in that round, and let's face it, Warford was dynamic in his rookie year but has failed to live up to it since then. Tomlinson began to show improvement at the end of last season, but certainly wasn't all that great. Dahl gives them someone to push the competition, and has the versatility to play all five line spots. As much as I'm not a fan of a few of these picks, this one was a good one.

I like this pick also. A guy that was the best OL on his college team so he played wherever he could help the most and now the Lions can cross train him at RT and guard and see where he performs best. This is the type of player the previous two Lions regime never drafted in the middle rounds. One that you couldnt necessarily plug into a certain spot but who you knew could probably help you somewhere eventually when the dust settles. Dahl very well could end up being the Lions starting RT in the not too distant future or he may end up replacing someone inside that doesnt pan out. The type of player that really helps when you are roster building bc things dont always go according to plan as far as where you have each player slotted in.

Glasgow is kind of similar although I expected him to go later than where the Lions took him. Still, when I look back at the batch of players at the end of the day and see they have Dahl and Glasgow that makes you feel good about that OL bc one player that has a bad offseason or gets injured should no longer hurt you as bad as in recent years.

I think your post is spot on. Grab the best player on his college team at the position. I wouldn't be surprised if Dahl gives Decker a run for his money on the right side in camp. I'll be surprised if Decker doesn't start, because we all know draft position still plays a part.

May 2nd, 2016, 6:02 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
This was a good pick. He had incredible value in that round, and let's face it, Warford was dynamic in his rookie year but has failed to live up to it since then. Tomlinson began to show improvement at the end of last season, but certainly wasn't all that great. Dahl gives them someone to push the competition, and has the versatility to play all five line spots. As much as I'm not a fan of a few of these picks, this one was a good one.

I like this pick also. A guy that was the best OL on his college team so he played wherever he could help the most and now the Lions can cross train him at RT and guard and see where he performs best. This is the type of player the previous two Lions regime never drafted in the middle rounds. One that you couldnt necessarily plug into a certain spot but who you knew could probably help you somewhere eventually when the dust settles. Dahl very well could end up being the Lions starting RT in the not too distant future or he may end up replacing someone inside that doesnt pan out. The type of player that really helps when you are roster building bc things dont always go according to plan as far as where you have each player slotted in.

Glasgow is kind of similar although I expected him to go later than where the Lions took him. Still, when I look back at the batch of players at the end of the day and see they have Dahl and Glasgow that makes you feel good about that OL bc one player that has a bad offseason or gets injured should no longer hurt you as bad as in recent years.

I think your post is spot on. Grab the best player on his college team at the position. I wouldn't be surprised if Dahl gives Decker a run for his money on the right side in camp. I'll be surprised if Decker doesn't start, because we all know draft position still plays a part.

My brother-in-law is a Washington guy and he said Dahl is very good but probably projects at guard.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

May 2nd, 2016, 6:12 pm
RIP Killer

Dahl will be a G and only an emergency T. Quinn has even said they took him to be a G, but his versatility was key

May 2nd, 2016, 8:21 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
Dahl will be a G and only an emergency T. Quinn has even said they took him to be a G, but his versatility was key

Projections aren't always reality. They may have taken him as a guard, but if he proves his ability they may be willing to put him at right tackle. Especially if Decker sh*ts the bed in camp.

May 2nd, 2016, 9:48 pm
RIP Killer

That may be, but he will likely get more looks at OG, and with Tomlinson looking like rectum for most of the year and Warford hurt or just playing like poop, he will have plenty of opportunities.

May 2nd, 2016, 9:52 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

m2karateman wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Projections aren't always reality. They may have taken him as a guard, but if he proves his ability they may be willing to put him at right tackle. Especially if Decker sh*ts the bed in camp.

it doesnt have to be right away - it could be in a year or two. reiff may want too much money and they may put decker on the left and give dahl or someone else a chance on the right. or injuries could force people into different roles. i like having guys like dahl on the roster even if dahl himself turns out not to make it I can appreciate the strategy of going for a player like that at a value part of the draft

May 3rd, 2016, 12:35 am
Martha Firestone Ford

I just hope that we are so deep at OT now, and a couple of the OT's from last year show that they are much improved, that we are able to trade a couple for picks next year.

May 3rd, 2016, 12:54 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
I just hope that we are so deep at OT now, and a couple of the OT's from last year show that they are much improved, that we are able to trade a couple for picks next year.

Well, I honestly think Corey Robinson is out of a job. Between us signing Schwartz, drafting Decker and Dahl, I think he's out. The only way the Lions get anything in trade is if some team loses a starter during the pre-season, and Robinson lights it up during that time period.

I think the Lions will once again carry 9 OL, and this is how I see it playing out:

OT- Reiff, Decker, Lucas, Schwartz
OG- Tomlinson, Warford, Dahl, Swanson
OC- Glasgow

If they only carry 8, bye-bye Swanson.

May 3rd, 2016, 5:25 pm
3rd Round Selection

m2karateman wrote:
Well, I honestly think Corey Robinson is out of a job. Between us signing Schwartz, drafting Decker and Dahl, I think he's out. The only way the Lions get anything in trade is if some team loses a starter during the pre-season, and Robinson lights it up during that time period.

I think the Lions will once again carry 9 OL, and this is how I see it playing out:

OC- Glasgow

Actually, since Dahl, Swanson, and Schwartz have position flexibility. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas ends up being the odd man out. Also, you forgot all about Ola, who has shown that he can start in a pinch.

May 3rd, 2016, 5:39 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

OC- Glasgow

If they only keep 8 there is no reason to keep 4 OTs with Schwartz and Dahl as possible back up OTs and Robinson can just sit on the PS to move back up for an injury. Swanson is their only real back up for center which makes him a lock to stay. Quinn said Dahl would get looks at every spot on the line except center.

May 3rd, 2016, 6:12 pm
RIP Killer

DayDreamer wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

OC- Glasgow

Actually, since Dahl, Swanson, and Schwartz have position flexibility. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas ends up being the odd man out. Also, you forgot all about Ola, who has shown that he can start in a pinch.

You're right, I did forget about Ola. Well, given that, I'd say it will be Swanson out of a job, Ola as either starter or backup at RT. I believe I read that Dahl can play center. Not sure if that is accurate, but I read somewhere that he can play all five positions on the line. If not, perhaps the Lions put Lucas on the PS and Dahl acts as backup at four of the five positions, and Swannie sticks around.

May 3rd, 2016, 7:10 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

m2karateman wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

OC- Glasgow

You're right, I did forget about Ola. Well, given that, I'd say it will be Swanson out of a job, Ola as either starter or backup at RT. I believe I read that Dahl can play center. Not sure if that is accurate, but I read somewhere that he can play all five positions on the line. If not, perhaps the Lions put Lucas on the PS and Dahl acts as backup at four of the five positions, and Swannie sticks around.

Actually, the one position Quinn ruled out for Dahl was center.

I say can Lucas because he's a bum. Robinson didn't really show anything so I don't even know I'd keep him on the PS. We definitely have a logjam at guard/center, so someone will have to go. Think you might see Schwartz be one of the final cuts

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

May 3rd, 2016, 9:42 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

I think they could stash Robinson on the Practice Squad if he s worth it. Lamar Holmes was also a less publicized pickup with experience who ll get a shot at a tackle spot

May 3rd, 2016, 10:05 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

m2karateman wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

OC- Glasgow

My thought is that Swanson stays, so in that vein I hope your instinct proves wrong here. Today before we play any downs I think I want Glasgow and Swanson fighting for the C spot. The 2nd place man becomes the primary backup for the 3 middle spots as we've seen Swanson do as a rookie. Lucas is in yr 3 and yr 2 did not look so well. Keeping in mind that these arere living men who are aspiring to pro spots, my current guess is that Dahl proves to be better than Lucas and he sticks as the swing tackle.

May 4th, 2016, 11:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2