View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2018, 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Jake Rudock 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Re: Jake Rudock
rao wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Lol

In all seriousness, I'm most pissed about the big DTs that they think can plug into the Jason jones role at DE. I don't buy it. I see very little in terms of a pass rush this year and they just don't have the CBs to make up for it. Could be a long year on defense

Copeland is listed as a DE for them, so he will probably end up the pure pass rusher when they want speed opposite Ansah. Other than that I don't think they want a pass rusher on both sides. They have had plenty of options to add a pass rusher this off season and haven't. With how wide Ansah gets they look a lot more like the Seattle front with Ansah as the Leo. Jason Jones had 4.5 sacks last season while Taylor had 7 with equal tackles, but for some reason he is considered to awful to take over the starting spot. It's just dumb to ignore Taylor's progress just because the coaching staff didn't use him their first season there. The Lions have DEs to work with. Their pass rush can only get better from last year now that they have more to work with at DT.

8 sacks. The refs just decided to take 1 of the best of the season and turn it into an untimed down because arog asked them to

May 1st, 2016, 1:29 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

DJ-B wrote:
rao wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Lol

In all seriousness, I'm most pissed about the big DTs that they think can plug into the Jason jones role at DE. I don't buy it. I see very little in terms of a pass rush this year and they just don't have the CBs to make up for it. Could be a long year on defense

Copeland is listed as a DE for them, so he will probably end up the pure pass rusher when they want speed opposite Ansah. Other than that I don't think they want a pass rusher on both sides. They have had plenty of options to add a pass rusher this off season and haven't. With how wide Ansah gets they look a lot more like the Seattle front with Ansah as the Leo. Jason Jones had 4.5 sacks last season while Taylor had 7 with equal tackles, but for some reason he is considered to awful to take over the starting spot. It's just dumb to ignore Taylor's progress just because the coaching staff didn't use him their first season there. The Lions have DEs to work with. Their pass rush can only get better from last year now that they have more to work with at DT.

8 sacks. The refs just decided to take 1 of the best of the season and turn it into an untimed down because arog asked them to

Your totally right. That would have been 5.5 sacks in the last 6 games.

May 1st, 2016, 2:11 am
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Lol

It's not that Taylor is 'too awful'. But in this league you can't have two starters at this position and then two or three guys as backups. They need at least three, better to have four, really good defensive ends in the 43 system. Taylor flashed, but he can still get buried by good right tackles. He benefited from Ansah having a monster year and teams having to focus on Zeke and Ngata. It doesn't diminish what he did, but it did make his job all the much easier.

We now have a fistful of DTs on our roster, and very few DEs. And the Lions typically carry four DTs and five DEs to start the season. Unless Quinn has plans on trading one of our DTs to some desperate team for one of this pass rushers, I don't see this getting fixed anytime soon.

May 1st, 2016, 7:54 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

rao wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Lol

Taylor isnt a disciplined edge defender. He has a hard time keeping that edge, gets hooked by ends and tackles too often and doesnt stay home when they misdirect to the opposite side not to mention he doenst hold his ground very well when they run right at him. Jones might not get to the passer as often as Taylor did but played the position in a fundamentally sound manner.

May 1st, 2016, 8:31 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Rudock pick - an okay pick but probably not great on value. More pressing needs and this is a place where you stop pressing the "safe" button and maybe take a chance on a guy that flashes some upside. I think Rudock has a decent chance of being a reliable No 2 QB at the end of his rookie deal but probably not in the first two years. He is composed, tough and navigates the pocket fairly well with good short area accuracy. However he doesnt see the whole field well in turn seems to throw to the wrong spot. He has maddeningly poor accuracy on deeper throws as well. Arm strength is probably just average. He ll probably last longer in the league than most of the others drafted in this range so we cant complain too much. but have to question why so many "safe" picks when the team is not strapped for cap space and could easily fill the roster with slightly more expensive veterans.

May 1st, 2016, 8:41 am
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Rudock pick - an okay pick but probably not great on value. More pressing needs and this is a place where you stop pressing the "safe" button and maybe take a chance on a guy that flashes some upside. I think Rudock has a decent chance of being a reliable No 2 QB at the end of his rookie deal but probably not in the first two years. He is composed, tough and navigates the pocket fairly well with good short area accuracy. However he doesnt see the whole field well in turn seems to throw to the wrong spot. He has maddeningly poor accuracy on deeper throws as well. Arm strength is probably just average. He ll probably last longer in the league than most of the others drafted in this range so we cant complain too much. but have to question why so many "safe" picks when the team is not strapped for cap space and could easily fill the roster with slightly more expensive veterans.

Remember that Quinn came from New England, where the Pats like to take a quarterback in the draft at least every other year. It has worked pretty well for them, since they've been able to develop some of those guys and trade them for picks higher than what they used on that player originally. Many folks on this forum have said the Lions need to find and develop a QB. Ruddock worked out for the Lions, and they came away happy with the results. If Ruddock shows something they can stow him on the PS this season, maybe even in 2017, then have someone they can put on the active roster as the main backup. There is also the chance that if he gets moved to the active roster earlier, then they might be able to trade him to quarterback needy team if he shows something.

May 1st, 2016, 1:46 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Remember that Quinn came from New England, where the Pats like to take a quarterback in the draft at least every other year. It has worked pretty well for them, since they've been able to develop some of those guys and trade them for picks higher than what they used on that player originally. Many folks on this forum have said the Lions need to find and develop a QB. Ruddock worked out for the Lions, and they came away happy with the results. If Ruddock shows something they can stow him on the PS this season, maybe even in 2017, then have someone they can put on the active roster as the main backup. There is also the chance that if he gets moved to the active roster earlier, then they might be able to trade him to quarterback needy team if he shows something.

The Patriots hit on Brady and Cassel but I question there strategy when they started taking higher picks that never had much of an opportunity to play for them. The last two QBs they took were Mallet in Round 3 and Garropolo in Rd 2. How did they expect to showcase those guys in a way where they could get a 1st round pick or 2nd round pick out of it as an upgrade? They also took Kevin O Connell in Round 3 and Rohan Davey in Round 4. The other two late ones were Kilff Kingsbury Rd 6 and Zac Robinson Rd 7. I dont mind taking the late picks but if the Lions had an all time great at QB, I would hope Quinn doesnt waste picks in rounds 2-4 on QBs.

May 1st, 2016, 3:18 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

The Patriots hit on Brady and Cassel but I question there strategy when they started taking higher picks that never had much of an opportunity to play for them. The last two QBs they took were Mallet in Round 3 and Garropolo in Rd 2. How did they expect to showcase those guys in a way where they could get a 1st round pick or 2nd round pick out of it as an upgrade? They also took Kevin O Connell in Round 3 and Rohan Davey in Round 4. The other two late ones were Kilff Kingsbury Rd 6 and Zac Robinson Rd 7. I dont mind taking the late picks but if the Lions had an all time great at QB, I would hope Quinn doesnt waste picks in rounds 2-4 on QBs.

Goropollo is going to get 4 games to show the league what he can do as soon as Brady's appeals have run dry.

May 1st, 2016, 3:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3