View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 12th, 2018, 5:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Jimmy Landess 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Jimmy Landess
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I dont think you need to have a long snapper waiting in the wings. Muhlbach had one major blip in his first game and since then has been solid. He could probably play until he s 37 or 38 and be fine which is another 3-4 years. If they are confident enough in the kid to draft a long snapper they should cut Muhlbach and let him find a new job.

Muhlbach could be getting ready to retire. He plays for the min every year, so he might not feel like putting in the time training every year anymore. He's at a good age he can just move on to the next phase of his life since I assume he has other sources of income he's manged to create for himself given he makes so little for a pro football player. 12 years is a good career and he has said before he has a finance degree and would like to work the business side of football.

The Patriots signed a long snapper in the 5th round last year. I think Quinn takes from the idea its better take a guy you know can become a starter for you over the very low chance guys you normally get in the last 2 rounds.

He still makes around $1m a year which I think is going to be tough to recreate and probably worth 5 years of a good job that he may get outside of football.

Teams dont seem to have problems finding longsnappers like they do for kickers or punters so I dont see how using a pick for it makes sense except for the cap savings difference of a rookie deal and veteran long snapper which is only like $500k and the Lions arent up against the cap. Also, having a great longsnapper vs an adequate one probably isnt going to be noticed in the win loss column.

It's kinda hard to say. No one really makes big mention of the movement in long snappers across the league. The turn over could be the same as kickers. Teams look to replace adequate kickers and punters all the time. A bad snap on a kick is missed points and on punts it could be 6 points for the other team.

May 1st, 2016, 12:45 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

I dont remember the last time a team had to cycle through long snappers bc of ineptitude like the Lions had to cycle through kickers two years ago or like tampa last year

May 1st, 2016, 1:02 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Legend wrote:
I dont remember the last time a team had to cycle through long snappers bc of ineptitude like the Lions had to cycle through kickers two years ago or like tampa last year

Even if it happened it wouldn't be well documented. A lot of times you don't even know if a guy is their long snapper because they will be listed as their original playing position. A simple linebacker getting released could be a team getting a new long snapper.

I'm not in total agreement with the pick. I'm not really a fan, but I feel like I can understand the reasoning that could be behind it. I don't think the pick was the best value, while I also don't believe it was a throw away. I think as time goes on with Quinn these types of picks will happen less once he feels more secure with the core of the roster. This was also an evaluation period for the scouting staff and the safe picks may be a result of Quinn lack of time to build trust in them yet.

May 1st, 2016, 1:19 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Even if it happened it wouldn't be well documented. A lot of times you don't even know if a guy is their long snapper because they will be listed as their original playing position. A simple linebacker getting released could be a team getting a new long snapper.

I'm not in total agreement with the pick. I'm not really a fan, but I feel like I can understand the reasoning that could be behind it. I don't think the pick was the best value, while I also don't believe it was a throw away. I think as time goes on with Quinn these types of picks will happen less once he feels more secure with the core of the roster. This was also an evaluation period for the scouting staff and the safe picks may be a result of Quinn lack of time to build trust in them yet.

If I recall correctly, Don Muhlbach was considering retirement after the 2015 season and the Lions convinced him to stay another year. Maybe he has expressed his desires to retire again, and the team felt they needed a safety net. People complained when they took Sam Martin in the fifth round. I don't think many are complaining about that pick now. If Landess doesn't pan out, then the complaints are justified. But at this point I'm inclined to believe there are reasons many of us are not aware of, and may never be aware of, as to why they used a 6th round pick on him.

May 1st, 2016, 1:42 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

This pick means that almost certainly Mulbach is done here. It does seem odd though, since they just re signed him in th eoff season. Perhaps he has changed his mind or they just have decided to get younger. Didn't they just do a mini camp recently? I think they may have drafted Mulbach back in the day also. This is only a wasted pick if they cut him in camp

May 1st, 2016, 3:38 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

jrd66 wrote:
This pick means that almost certainly Mulbach is done here. It does seem odd though, since they just re signed him in th eoff season. Perhaps he has changed his mind or they just have decided to get younger. Didn't they just do a mini camp recently? I think they may have drafted Mulbach back in the day also. This is only a wasted pick if they cut him in camp

Muhlbach was not drafted. The Patriots supposedly drafted one last year bc he was from a military school and they wanted to help convince the school they should give him time to participate in training camps.

May 1st, 2016, 3:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2