View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2018, 3:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Need help with a live streaming service 
Team MVP

Post Re: Need help with a live streaming service
thelomasbrowns wrote:
https://nflst.directv.com/

$50 if you're eligible.

That's $50 a month for 4 months. The student version is $25 a month for 4 months.

August 8th, 2016, 1:07 pm
Megatron

DayDreamer wrote:
I finally came up with a good legal solution to my problem. NFL Sunday Ticket offers a streaming service priced at 50/mo for 4 months (200 in total) if you can prove that you live in an apartment, and can't get a dish installed. It is also offered to all residents of certain cities, as it happens, Philly is one of those cities. As a bonus, they offer almost a 50% discount to students, and since I am actually moving to Philadelphia for grad school, I'm in luck. 100 bucks for live streaming of all NFL games is a good deal in my book.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, but I think we have a solution. I'll let you guys know how things shake out once I subscribe, it should be around early September.
How did you find out Philly was one of the cities? I'm in the Phoenix area and currently have DirecTv but getting ready to ditch it. I checked the link using my address and it says I qualify; though I'm not sure if that's because I currently have DirecTv or because Phx is one of the cities.

August 8th, 2016, 4:13 pm
Team MVP

TheRealWags wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
I finally came up with a good legal solution to my problem. NFL Sunday Ticket offers a streaming service priced at 50/mo for 4 months (200 in total) if you can prove that you live in an apartment, and can't get a dish installed. It is also offered to all residents of certain cities, as it happens, Philly is one of those cities. As a bonus, they offer almost a 50% discount to students, and since I am actually moving to Philadelphia for grad school, I'm in luck. 100 bucks for live streaming of all NFL games is a good deal in my book.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, but I think we have a solution. I'll let you guys know how things shake out once I subscribe, it should be around early September.
How did you find out Philly was one of the cities? I'm in the Phoenix area and currently have DirecTv but getting ready to ditch it. I checked the link using my address and it says I qualify; though I'm not sure if that's because I currently have DirecTv or because Phx is one of the cities.

If you currently have DTV you likely won't be able to get it. That service (if I understand correctly) is only available to people can't get DTV. So if you already have it, they won't let you do the streaming only option.

BTW I'm in the same boat with canceling DTV. I'm just tired of paying so damn much for TV that's mostly junk. Moving over to a Roku or something soon.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

August 8th, 2016, 4:28 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Wrote about this in the other topic, but this is what you want:

Roku Streaming Stick 3600R ($50)
Logitech Harmony Smart Control with Remote ($90)
HD Antenna ($30)

Then, some of these:

Netflix subscription - $10/mo
Amazon Prime subscription - $100/yr
Hulu Plus no commercials subscription - $12/mo
PlayStation Vue - $40/mo
HBO Now - $15/mo
Starz - $9/mo
Showtime - $9/mo through Amazon or $11/mo standalone

I wonder if you could get away with using someone else's address to signup for NFL Sunday Ticket streaming or if they check your IP and compare it to the address, etc.

August 8th, 2016, 5:07 pm
Team MVP

Blueskies wrote:
Wrote about this in the other topic, but this is what you want:

Roku Streaming Stick 3600R ($50)
Logitech Harmony Smart Control with Remote ($90)
HD Antenna ($30)

Then, some of these:

Netflix subscription - $10/mo
Amazon Prime subscription - $100/yr
Hulu Plus no commercials subscription - $12/mo
PlayStation Vue - $40/mo
HBO Now - $15/mo
Starz - $9/mo
Showtime - $9/mo through Amazon or $11/mo standalone

I wonder if you could get away with using someone else's address to signup for NFL Sunday Ticket streaming or if they check your IP and compare it to the address, etc.

Yep. I already have Netflix, and I have a 4K tv, so I'll get the Roku 4. Plus PS Vue, HBO & Showtime, and I'm all set I think. It'll be way, way cheaper than my DTV service.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

August 8th, 2016, 7:19 pm
3rd Round Selection

TheRealWags wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

I called them, the customer service people told them about Philly. You can try that route, just call them up, and don't tell them about your current subscription. Although, they might refuse service once they know you're a DTV customer.

I'm with TDJ, these days, getting a traditional cable/dish is just a waste of money. Netflix and HBO combo should cover most movies and shows. Its just that the sports networks are still stuck in the good old days.

August 10th, 2016, 1:56 pm
Team MVP

Sports are the next bubble. The TV contracts keep getting bigger, but just look at how many users they're shedding due to people cutting the cord. The % of the cable bills that is due to the sports contracts is why the costs keep going up so much, and you're just going to see more people cut because there are other options. Eventually the leagues are going to have to make individual packages direct to customer because the middle man isn't worth the hassle.

August 10th, 2016, 2:15 pm
Team MVP

njroar wrote:
Sports are the next bubble. The TV contracts keep getting bigger, but just look at how many users they're shedding due to people cutting the cord. The % of the cable bills that is due to the sports contracts is why the costs keep going up so much, and you're just going to see more people cut because there are other options. Eventually the leagues are going to have to make individual packages direct to customer because the middle man isn't worth the hassle.

I generally agree. The problem (with the NFL anyway) is that DirecTV signed a new 8 year, $1.5 billion/yr contract with the NFL in 2014. So the NFL is getting $1.5 billion every year until 2022. That's insane. They have no incentive to leave the traditional cable broadcast channels just yet. The only hope is the DTV comes up with better options for streaming the content.

August 10th, 2016, 2:23 pm
Team MVP

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
njroar wrote:

I generally agree. The problem (with the NFL anyway) is that DirecTV signed a new 8 year, $1.5 billion/yr contract with the NFL in 2014. So the NFL is getting $1.5 billion every year until 2022. That's insane. They have no incentive to leave the traditional cable broadcast channels just yet. The only hope is the DTV comes up with better options for streaming the content.

The NFL is fine. The leagues have the content, so they are in no danger of going anywhere. They got their money, the problem is the providers. They'll the ones that go under. Here's an article that explains it more precisely than I could.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn- ... ear-080416

The leagues could run into a money issue IF they don't have a plan in place, should the providers start going under. The cutbacks would probably be visible enough that the leagues could implement something (NBA and MLB already have their packages in place on multiple providers) but sometimes these things take times, so reached income could mean sudden cuts in what's available to players, so it could make for an interesting negotiation or strike come the next CBA agreement after it happens.

August 10th, 2016, 2:53 pm
Team MVP

njroar wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
njroar wrote:

The NFL is fine. The leagues have the content, so they are in no danger of going anywhere. They got their money, the problem is the providers. They'll the ones that go under. Here's an article that explains it more precisely than I could.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn- ... ear-080416

The leagues could run into a money issue IF they don't have a plan in place, should the providers start going under. The cutbacks would probably be visible enough that the leagues could implement something (NBA and MLB already have their packages in place on multiple providers) but sometimes these things take times, so reached income could mean sudden cuts in what's available to players, so it could make for an interesting negotiation or strike come the next CBA agreement after it happens.

I agree. I wasn't trying to say it was a problem for the NFL. I meant it was a problem from the consumer's perspective. Poor phrasing on my part.

August 10th, 2016, 3:16 pm
Team MVP

I think consumers are stuck now because this is a transitional period. IF/When the sports bubble happens, I think we'll have a better range of options to choose from. I guess I look at it from not a glass half full/half empty view, but a waiting for the glass to shrink view. Or for them to add more water lol.

August 10th, 2016, 3:18 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Disney just spent $1 billion to buy one-third of the tech company that makes the MLB Network. So clearly, they want to take ESPN over the top. Not sure how it will all work out in the long run.

But the idea for paying for a bundle of channels you surf through is just so outdated and laughable.

Outside of watching Lions games, I haven't seen a TV commercial in years.

August 10th, 2016, 3:45 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

njroar wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
https://nflst.directv.com/

$50 if you're eligible.

That's $50 a month for 4 months. The student version is $25 a month for 4 months.

Ah, you're right. Sorry, didn't notice that.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

August 12th, 2016, 11:42 am
Varsity Captain

If you are at all technically inclined, I would suggest using the Amazon Fire TV box and installing the Kodi software on it.

August 15th, 2016, 1:13 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

You can buy the Internet version of Sirius/XM. It will likely cost less than the $18/month I pay for my semi radio and the Internet. But, you can listen live online to the Lions Home team radio broadcast.

August 16th, 2016, 8:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next