View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2018, 1:20 am



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Opening Week Roster Projection 
Author Message
Team MVP

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3276
Post Re: Opening Week Roster Projection
The plan at WR is to cater the 53-man roster to JBC's game plans. He never had more than 4 WR active. So we have 4 WR on the 53, and 5 on the PS. Why keep more if they are going to be inactive? If there's an injury, you bring someone up. It's actually smart thinking. In emergencies, you can have the RB's line out outside, especially since that seems to be Riddick's primary role anyway.


September 5th, 2016, 1:45 pm
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9065
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Opening Week Roster Projection
njroar wrote:
The plan at WR is to cater the 53-man roster to JBC's game plans. He never had more than 4 WR active. So we have 4 WR on the 53, and 5 on the PS. Why keep more if they are going to be inactive? If there's an injury, you bring someone up. It's actually smart thinking. In emergencies, you can have the RB's line out outside, especially since that seems to be Riddick's primary role anyway.


Not only that, but, think about this:

What if, after 9 games, we go into our bye week as serious Super Bowl contenders? By week 9, you can count on one of our top 4 WRs will be on IR. A player only needs to be on a teams roster for 6 games to get credited with a full season in regards to the NFL Player Pension.
CJ will have been at home watching it all unfold and getting that itch to play again. We will have the bye week and 7 more games. Calvin could claim the Lions talked him out of retirement and have a couple weeks to get up to speed with any changes in the offense. And then be fresh for the final playoff push. And the Lions have the cap available to pay him.

Has anyone else thought about this possibility?


September 5th, 2016, 11:48 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2352
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Opening Week Roster Projection
I wouldn't say they are catering to JBC's gameplan. It's more that his game plan allowed them to help other areas. If they are catering to anyone it's the ST coach or Austin. JBC is getting the absolute bare minimum to run his offense. Seems like a very good plan from the staff. There really wasn't any instances of one player being held over another that makes you say WTF, even DanO over Ruddock has a reasonable explanation.


September 6th, 2016, 10:00 am
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 1019
Post Re: Opening Week Roster Projection
Reasonably explain why Corey Fuller is still technically on the team since Caldwell can't seem to do it himself...

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


September 6th, 2016, 5:12 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2352
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Opening Week Roster Projection
Footsoldier32 wrote:
Reasonably explain why Corey Fuller is still technically on the team since Caldwell can't seem to do it himself...


Obviously it's because he's injured and there is no reason to release him when he doesn't take a roster spot and only costs $360k. I'm sure if he had actually had to compete for a roster spot he would have also been cut.


September 6th, 2016, 6:15 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 1019
Post Re: Opening Week Roster Projection
rao wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:
Reasonably explain why Corey Fuller is still technically on the team since Caldwell can't seem to do it himself...


Obviously it's because he's injured and there is no reason to release him when he doesn't take a roster spot and only costs $360k. I'm sure if he had actually had to compete for a roster spot he would have also been cut.


If he was going to get cut, what was even the point of putting him on IR? I know it doesn't take a roster space, but then just cut him. Someone else can waste their money on the guy.

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


September 6th, 2016, 9:19 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2352
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Opening Week Roster Projection
Footsoldier32 wrote:
rao wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:
Reasonably explain why Corey Fuller is still technically on the team since Caldwell can't seem to do it himself...


Obviously it's because he's injured and there is no reason to release him when he doesn't take a roster spot and only costs $360k. I'm sure if he had actually had to compete for a roster spot he would have also been cut.


If he was going to get cut, what was even the point of putting him on IR? I know it doesn't take a roster space, but then just cut him. Someone else can waste their money on the guy.


It's not a waste of money for them, $360K isn't even pocket change to an NFL team. I'm sure Quinn would also like a chance to see him on the practice field himself and not just use game tape. Hell it could be something as simple as the team just doing him a favor since he wouldn't have a shot at making a team while injured. Can't hurt to have players see your team taking care of a player like that when he's hurt.


September 6th, 2016, 9:37 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 1019
Post Re: Opening Week Roster Projection
rao wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:
rao wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:
Reasonably explain why Corey Fuller is still technically on the team since Caldwell can't seem to do it himself...


Obviously it's because he's injured and there is no reason to release him when he doesn't take a roster spot and only costs $360k. I'm sure if he had actually had to compete for a roster spot he would have also been cut.


If he was going to get cut, what was even the point of putting him on IR? I know it doesn't take a roster space, but then just cut him. Someone else can waste their money on the guy.


It's not a waste of money for them, $360K isn't even pocket change to an NFL team. I'm sure Quinn would also like a chance to see him on the practice field himself and not just use game tape. Hell it could be something as simple as the team just doing him a favor since he wouldn't have a shot at making a team while injured. Can't hurt to have players see your team taking care of a player like that when he's hurt.


Fair enough, especially the last point. I would prefer that they not waste a roster spot on him next year however. Not a big Corey Fuller fan...obviously.

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


September 6th, 2016, 9:43 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.