View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Opening Week Roster Projection 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Opening Week Roster Projection
The Legend wrote:
Final preseason projection after a great showing by the Lions reserves

QB - Stafford/Rudock

NE typically keeps only 2 QBs and Im not sure other teams are knocking on Orlovsky's door in case the Lions need him back. Orlovsky had a poor showing in preseason games while Rudock looked like he improved and even displayed some mobility

RB - Abdullah/Riddick/Zenner/Washington

Washington is the story of the preseason, has the best top end speed of the group and also some size. We ll see if the Lions give him a few looks or let him handle kick returns. Also interested to see if Abdullah has improved his receiving skills - supposedly has great hands but him and Stafford had trouble connecting a year ago

FB - Burton

TE - Ebron/Wick

Surprised they gave Mulligan the axe last week as it looked like they really needed him. I cant justify using a 3rd TE spot with BP on PUP and Quarless on the suspension list

WR - Tate/M. Jones/Boldin/TJ Jones/Billingsley

Jay Lee or Billingsley have a chance after strong performances in Week 4. Andre Roberts may not offer much more than TJ Jones already provides. I go with the Welker/Edelman clone who plays tough and seems to have the better hands

OT - Decker/Reiff/Ola/Lucas

Lucas would be my best guess for 4th tackle but Dahl played LT in the preseason finale and looked adept so they could look to him in a pinch. Even with Ola dinged up right now, Lucas could be out

OG - Warford/Tomlinson/Dahl

Would be nice to have some veteran depth but Dahl looks pretty good and versatile and this looks like more of a rebuilding year anyway

C - Swanson/Glasgow/Ikard

Ikard has looked okay to me so far, the Lions may be more inclined to keep Thomas for a few more weeks to give him a look as they must ve liked something about him to make the trade but with Glasgow limited right now it might make sense to have a backup center and Ikard finished last season on the roster with the Lions.

P - Martin
K - Prater
LS - Muhlbach

(KR - Washington, PR - TJ Jones)

Lions were able to stash Landes on IR, wonder if that injury was pre-existing but either way its a win-win. Lions keep the better snapper and Quinn doesnt get egg on his face for cutting a drafted longsnapper

DE - Ansah/Taylor/Gilberry/Copeland

Zettel and Hyder both had good performances in preseason game 4 but Im not sure either make the team. Zettel maybe has a better chance but I dont see how they can cut Gilberry and Copeland has some versatility where he can play on kick coverage or even to LB in a pinch

DT - Ngata/Walker/Robinson/Thornton/Reid/Charles

Potential for a trade from this spot. Thornton appears to have won a job and was a nice pickup last season and he maybe ahead of Reid. I think Reid is better than Charles but Charles was given some money and also some experience at DE where the Lions are light

LB - Levy/Whitehead/Van Noy/Bynes/Williams

Van Noy finally looks healthy, has speed that seemed lacking before either bc of injury or confusion. Seems like a different and now usable player. Williams made some nice plays in the reserve role and should be able to pitch in if he has to as well as get his feet wet on special teams

CB - Slay/Lawson/Diggs/Walls/Carter/Bademosi

Walls and Carter might be playing for a spot but Bademosi IMO isnt really a corner he s just a special teamer so the Lions probably have to keep all 3.

S - Quinn/Wilson/Bush/D Carey/Killebrew

I think Wilson will take over as a starter ahead of Bush. Don Carey can also play some corner

PUP list - Pettigrew/Fuller

Suspended - Quarles

Predicted week 1 game day inactives: S Killebrew, CB Carter, DT Charles, DT Reid, WR Billingsley, OT Ola, C Glasgow

PS - WR J. Lee/OT Robinson/TE Fuehne/DE Zettel/CB Barnes/S I. Johnson/OG Thomas/WR Q Davis/DT Wright/RB Winn

Practice squads are 10 deep these days so its a bigger chance for the Lions to develop some guys behind the scenes. Lee s potential shined bright in the last preseason game and he looked better than Quinshad Davis. Robinson is cheap insurance on the practice squad and might be a little better athlete than Cornelius Lucas. Fuehne has been overshadowed by Wick but could develop into an all around tight end and made a nice catch for a TD as well. Zettel could make a roster spot if the Lions cut loose one of there extra defensive tackles. Barnes has been a steady performer in the preseason as well and broke up a couple passes. Kerry Hyder could also be in play here with his huge game to finish but Im not sure if he s still eligible. I d also look for them to pick up a LB or 2 maybe from someone else's cuts instead of Davis, Wright or Winn

QB - I want to see DanO gone, but I just can't see the coaches letting him go for a rookie. Ruddock wouldn't be able to provide anything for Stafford on the sidelines like DanO does.

DL & LB- I see Hyder and Zettel over Copeland, Reid, and Charles. Hyder is a DE/DT and seems to me to have outplayed Charles, while Zettel has just shown up all preseason. Copeland's ST and emergency LB contributions can be replaced by keeping DiManche at LB.

DB - With Carey at Safety no reason to keep Walls since they can throw him out as the 5th CB or as the 4th if someone goes down during a game. Also Wilson can handle TEs and RBs well in coverage so the Lions could use 3 safeties at times like Austin has done before.

Those are the only real differences I see happening from your predictions. Though Jay Lee taking the last WR spot seems like a high chance given he better fits what Fuller was supposed to do for the team and Billingsley is just another guy to get yac. If Jones gets hurt they have no one to get open deep.

September 2nd, 2016, 8:00 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Ikard is already cut...the seahawks cut jahri evans that might be a guard worth a look

September 2nd, 2016, 8:22 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Quote:
QB - I want to see DanO gone, but I just can't see the coaches letting him go for a rookie. Ruddock wouldn't be able to provide anything for Stafford on the sidelines like DanO does.

Yeah I definitely considered that too but I feel like Quinn spent a lot of the offseason looking for young, cheap talent and I feel that roster spot will help him hang onto some of what he s found. While the extra sideline eye is valuable, ultimately it should be on the coaching staff to be able to help Stafford from the sidelines or press box. Im in agreement with your point though.

Quote:
DL & LB- I see Hyder and Zettel over Copeland, Reid, and Charles. Hyder is a DE/DT and seems to me to have outplayed Charles, while Zettel has just shown up all preseason. Copeland's ST and emergency LB contributions can be replaced by keeping DiManche at LB.

I thought Zettel looked really soft most of the preseason and when I attended a practice but the last two weeks I agree he s done a good job and should be in consideration and thats definitely a spot where the Lions need to develop something. Hyder I ve always considered as a major longshot. His build just looks so un-NFL and he doesnt seem to be all that quick so maybe I wasnt paying that much attention to him. The Lions have had him around for over a year so they must like something about him and he was insanely productive yesterday and also had a couple fumble recoveries the year before so maybe he s just a guy that plays hard is a grinder and finds a way to get it done. Maybe he s a guy they just like to have around in practice to keep other guys working hard I dont really know. Definitely rooting for him. Reid had surgery this offseason and I thought played pretty well last year and maybe has some more upside in addition to being more established thats why I went with him. Charles I ve thought was a signing that never made sense when the Lions had already brought back Walker and Ngata. They ve already paid Charles $750k but could save a cool $1m by cutting him which is less than what they would have to pay Hyder to take his spot. Maybe that difference in addition to Hyder s versatility wins Hyder a spot. As for Copeland he s also versatile and a good special teamer with speed. I dont think he truly can contribute much on defense but does on special teams. Long run, team would be better with Zettel but you need some guys like Copeland around too and Zettel might make it to the practice squad. I dont know much about DiManche but the Lions could use another LB for sure.

Could it be:

DE Ansah/Taylor/Gilberry/Hyder/Zettel
DT Ngata/Walker/Robinson/Thornton/Reid
LB Levy/WHitehead/Van Noy/Bynes/Williams +/- DiManche

I certainly dont see why not, either way I think the Lions will keep 10 DL.

Quote:
DB - With Carey at Safety no reason to keep Walls since they can throw him out as the 5th CB or as the 4th if someone goes down during a game. Also Wilson can handle TEs and RBs well in coverage so the Lions could use 3 safeties at times like Austin has done before.

I really like Carey and hopes he makes it. Walls hasnt shown me much Im just going by track record and the Lions seem to have never said anything positive about Carter until maybe after this last preseason game. A few teams are playing 3 safeties and it would certainly make sense. Also would save them a roster spot and the $840k Walls is set to earn.

CB Slay/Lawson/Diggs/Carter/Bademosi
S Quinn/Wilson/Bush/Carey/Killebrew

Quote:
Those are the only real differences I see happening from your predictions. Though Jay Lee taking the last WR spot seems like a high chance given he better fits what Fuller was supposed to do for the team and Billingsley is just another guy to get yac. If Jones gets hurt they have no one to get open deep.

I feel like Cooter acknowledges this line isnt quite there yet with youth and poor athleticism and is committed to the ball getting out quick, was quite succesful with it last year. Billingsley seems to have legit speed and quickness not to mention hands, balance and effort. Im not sure Lee truly has deep speed for the NFL despite being a big play guy in college, I do like his size and his ability to go up and get it.

Actually, Lee cut while I was writing this post. They ll try to get him on the practice squad. Will be interesting to see if the Lions go with Billingsley over Roberts. I think the Welker/Edelman/even Woodhead formula has worked too well for Quinn to cut the kid.

September 2nd, 2016, 9:11 pm

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

Yeah I definitely considered that too but I feel like Quinn spent a lot of the offseason looking for young, cheap talent and I feel that roster spot will help him hang onto some of what he s found. While the extra sideline eye is valuable, ultimately it should be on the coaching staff to be able to help Stafford from the sidelines or press box. Im in agreement with your point though.

Quote:

I thought Zettel looked really soft most of the preseason and when I attended a practice but the last two weeks I agree he s done a good job and should be in consideration and thats definitely a spot where the Lions need to develop something. Hyder I ve always considered as a major longshot. His build just looks so un-NFL and he doesnt seem to be all that quick so maybe I wasnt paying that much attention to him. The Lions have had him around for over a year so they must like something about him and he was insanely productive yesterday and also had a couple fumble recoveries the year before so maybe he s just a guy that plays hard is a grinder and finds a way to get it done. Maybe he s a guy they just like to have around in practice to keep other guys working hard I dont really know. Definitely rooting for him. Reid had surgery this offseason and I thought played pretty well last year and maybe has some more upside in addition to being more established thats why I went with him. Charles I ve thought was a signing that never made sense when the Lions had already brought back Walker and Ngata. They ve already paid Charles $750k but could save a cool $1m by cutting him which is less than what they would have to pay Hyder to take his spot. Maybe that difference in addition to Hyder s versatility wins Hyder a spot. As for Copeland he s also versatile and a good special teamer with speed. I dont think he truly can contribute much on defense but does on special teams. Long run, team would be better with Zettel but you need some guys like Copeland around too and Zettel might make it to the practice squad. I dont know much about DiManche but the Lions could use another LB for sure.

Could it be:

DE Ansah/Taylor/Gilberry/Hyder/Zettel
DT Ngata/Walker/Robinson/Thornton/Reid
LB Levy/WHitehead/Van Noy/Bynes/Williams +/- DiManche

I certainly dont see why not, either way I think the Lions will keep 10 DL.

Quote:

I really like Carey and hopes he makes it. Walls hasnt shown me much Im just going by track record and the Lions seem to have never said anything positive about Carter until maybe after this last preseason game. A few teams are playing 3 safeties and it would certainly make sense. Also would save them a roster spot and the $840k Walls is set to earn.

CB Slay/Lawson/Diggs/Carter/Bademosi
S Quinn/Wilson/Bush/Carey/Killebrew

Quote:

I feel like Cooter acknowledges this line isnt quite there yet with youth and poor athleticism and is committed to the ball getting out quick, was quite succesful with it last year. Billingsley seems to have legit speed and quickness not to mention hands, balance and effort. Im not sure Lee truly has deep speed for the NFL despite being a big play guy in college, I do like his size and his ability to go up and get it.

Actually, Lee cut while I was writing this post. They ll try to get him on the practice squad. Will be interesting to see if the Lions go with Billingsley over Roberts. I think the Welker/Edelman/even Woodhead formula has worked too well for Quinn to cut the kid.

I think Caldwell/Austin has always gone with 9 DL, but if they don't keep 3 QBs(which I would prefer your prediction) keeping Reid for a total of 10 would be great.

I do hope they keep Billingsley over Roberts now that they have released Lee. He's got the look of a playmaker in that little white WR mold.

Really hope Lee makes it to the PS. His speed seems good enough given his other attributes to make him a deep threat. There has been plenty of 4.5 guys that have made a career deep. His size is great and he has OL type arm length.

September 2nd, 2016, 11:13 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Maybe Lee wasnt cut yet? I dont really know I saw it on twitter but nothing from a reliable source.

September 3rd, 2016, 10:16 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Ouch TJ Jones was cut! Looking better for Billingsley and Roberts could be the return man. Lee may have a chance to unless the twitter reports were true.

September 3rd, 2016, 11:54 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Billingsley cut also according to justin rogers twitter

September 3rd, 2016, 11:59 am

Maybe they only keep 4 WRs with Riddick being used as a 5th when needed. If they can get Lee and/or Billingsley to the PS they can move one up if an injury happens.

September 3rd, 2016, 12:34 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

rao wrote:
Maybe they only keep 4 WRs with Riddick being used as a 5th when needed. If they can get Lee and/or Billingsley to the PS they can move one up if an injury happens.

its going to be thin especially with how little it takes for ebron to go down for a month at a time and not really having much depth there either. So maybe its Jones/Tate/Boldin/Roberts?

Could they be interested in bringing someone from outside in at WR like Justin Hunter to kick the tires on for a week or two see how he does in a different setting? Or maybe Lee makes it but they liked Roberts fielding/returning the punts better than TJ Jones/Billingsley

September 3rd, 2016, 12:39 pm

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:

its going to be thin especially with how little it takes for ebron to go down for a month at a time and not really having much depth there either. So maybe its Jones/Tate/Boldin/Roberts?

Could they be interested in bringing someone from outside in at WR like Justin Hunter to kick the tires on for a week or two see how he does in a different setting? Or maybe Lee makes it but they liked Roberts fielding/returning the punts better than TJ Jones/Billingsley

I wouldn't mind them kicking the tires on Hunter. If a change of scenery could get him motivated he could be a big time play maker. Hunter at even 80% of his potential would be a 1b level WR.

September 3rd, 2016, 12:43 pm
Team MVP

6 DEs, 5 DT, so 11 DL currently. I'm betting Quinn has some bottom of the roster cutting still to go while signing some vets.

September 3rd, 2016, 4:41 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

QB - Hoping they can get Rudock to the practice squad. You can see a change in philosophies if you consider the Lions brought Kellen Moore to 4 training camps without him showing a whole lot but cut Rudock after he had some nice highlights. On the other hand, if you consider that Orlovsky was brutal and didnt truly beat anyone out for his roster spot you get that "same old Lions" feeling.

RB - They made the right calls here. Poor Ridley got cut from the Colts too.

WR - A lot of head scratching here. Hope Billingsley and Lee make it to the practice squad but supposedly TJ Jones was told he has a practice squad spot if he goes unclaimed.

TE - Ebron, Wick, Charles? Maybe Charles was kept around in case Ebron isnt ready for Week 1 but all 3 of them are "catch" no block guys. If Ebrons healthy, Charles could get before the season, if not either him or Wick could be gone when Quarless comes back in Week 3. Fuehne should be a PS guy.

OL - Lucas and Robinson over Ola? Didnt we see how this played out last year when Lucas/Waddle were called to action and wet the bed? Robinson only made an active roster one time despite being healthy, on the team all last season, and the position being a total bust until Ola came on in and solidified it. Cutting solid depth here for developmental guys that havent shown anything doesnt make sense (unless Ola's injury is going to be months out) especially when you consider what they did at QB and WR.

DL - rao was right with Zettel and Hyder and despite the Lions keeping 11, Caraun Reid still got cut. I think he ll catch on somewhere, maybe the Giants or Dolphins. Charles survives for now but may still be at risk of getting cut.

LB - Bostic survives to go on IR designated to return which will open up a spot for maybe Dimanche getting picked back up or for the Lions to pick someone else up outside the organization or at WR. Bostic didnt do much of anything in his 11 games at NE last year but Quinn must really like him.

DB - Barnes made the team, here s one guy they surprisingly kept that I am definitely on board with. Alex Carter seemed like a bust in Caldwell s eyes from day 1 when he couldnt attend offseason practices bc of NCAA rules and had to be at class at Stanford, got injured in camp last year and then didnt even do well enough in his two weeks of practice for the Lions to activate him off PUP in a season that wasnt going anywhere for the Lions - where you might ve thought it would be a good chance to try and develop a 3rd rounder. Walls got cut leaving the Lions pretty young at corner, Carey probably plays some corner for them in a pinch or we see some 3 safety looks also.

Potential PS: QB Rudock, TE Fuehne, WR Lee, WR Billingsley, OL Thomas, CB Carter plus 4 more.

Most of the guys I d want on the PS are on the active roster and a couple of the guys I d want here are on the team instead.

In any event I agree with nj, Lions will probably be active on the wire the next week or two.

September 3rd, 2016, 7:08 pm

I have to believe they are going to find a trade somewhere with at least one of the DL players. Even if it's just for a 7th rounder, I can't see why they would go into week one with 11 on the DL since the extra guys will be inactive anyways.

September 3rd, 2016, 10:27 pm
League MVP

So Bynes went on IR, not Bostic and we claimed a LB to fill his spot. Interesting. Wonder what the plan at WR is.

September 4th, 2016, 9:14 pm
3rd Round Selection

Right now I'm rather ambivalent regarding the roster and PS. It is one of those I care, but can't do anything about it so I don't care kind of things. There is too much we don't know that goes into the decisions.

Most were surprised the Lions did not keep TJ Jones. Me, I was happy they cut him and disappointed he made the PS. Then I had to think about it. The Lions didn't play him for spit during the preseason and he didn't show all that well either. This leads me to think it was part of a plan all along.

Not keeping 3 qb's also disappointed, but then again, who is likely to claim a 6th rd qb pick off waivers. Aside from someone desperate and the closest candidate for that traded for Bradford before the cut. At least, I think they did. Billingsley was also another one of those calculated risks. Undersized, undrafted, small school and most teams are looking for bigger, more known prospects that played against top competition.

As for the actual roster, I'm pretty happy with it because of the direction I see Quinn going. He has demonstrated an emphasis on the Lines. Almost everyone focuses on the skill positions, yet every single play starts along the Lines and the old adage is that games are won or lost in the trenches. The number of wide receivers compared to tight-ends and running backs also seems to indicate that there will indeed be an added emphasis on running the ball. My biggest disappointment with the roster is the thinness of the linebacking corp. Which is probably why we kept more DL; to take the pressure off the LB's and leave a option if a LB comes available we like.

September 5th, 2016, 9:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next