View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 14th, 2018, 2:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Preseason game 1. Apparently, no-one cares? 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Preseason game 1. Apparently, no-one cares?
A few thoughts.

Washington just won the K/P Return job.

Zenner is now the #2 RB. In the Power Back role.

Why don't they just convert Riddick to FB? He is great catching passes out of the backfield. Above average blocking. And sucks trying to run the ball.

Decker had better get better than that effort. Or Stafford is going to get killed before the season is halfway done.
Not only did Decker block for poop, but, he arrived to his blocking location on a screen pass at the same time as the play was over!

Ruddock had a pretty decent game. But, temper it with the fact that he was playing against the Steelers bubble players. But, he is a bubble player himself. So, give him a little credit.

August 13th, 2016, 5:59 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Preseason game 1. Apparently, no-one cares?
It's nice that the 2s and 3s showed somethings but it's preseason.

Washington showed he is as athletic as advertised, but he's still a long shot to be on the roster. He is at a RB position that is going to have to keep every body possible that can actually run the ball. No room for a ST guy unless he keeps scoring or shows something as a runner. May have got himself a good shot to make another team when the Lions try to move him to the PS.

Riddick is 200lbs, there is no way he could ever play full back. He can't lead block so even if he was listed as a FB he would still just be a HB and since FB aren't required listing him as one is pointless. Also Burton has been destroying people in camp which makes the FB position already filled if they decide to keep one.

August 13th, 2016, 6:28 pm
Team MVP

I only watched it on and off so no real in-depth comments.

Washington made one play. He's still got plenty of showing if he wants to win a ST spot. Needs to be someone you can't put on PS to justify it. One KO return doesn't do that.

Decker faced the 3-4 for the first time this week. He also faced James Harrison who's still a freak and makes vets look stupid. If he learns from this, he'll be ok. IF he struggles against 4-3 teams the same way, then we can worry. He's a rookie, so first game jitters is gonna happen.

The DE's and DT's looked good. There's definitely some depth there, so hopefully the back 7 can come together. Levy can't miss much time if they want to be competitive.

The bad running was on Riddick. The line was moving well, but he still couldn't run it effectively. He's a bigger threat out of the backfield, so his value is there. I think Abdullah, Riddick and Zenner will rotate on who's hot, which will leave Riddick in the receiver role like he has been. Burton will be the FB.

It's game 1, so results don't matter, only the experience and putting things on tape to work on again real opponents. Any progress/digression next week is where we can start pointing things out.

August 14th, 2016, 12:47 am
Team MVP

Speaking only for myself, you're correct in saying I don't care. Preseason is only (once in a while) a teeny tiny indicated of what the regular season will be. The only preseason game that matters at all is game 3, and even that is hardly an indicator of anything as the teams only run vanilla schemes and don't game plan for the other team. These are glorified practices, broadcast on TV. Remember, they won all 4 preseason games the year they went 0-16.

So you're correct, I don't care about preseason.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

August 15th, 2016, 9:39 am
NFL Team Captain

Even though its preseason, it does help to alleviate my need for football. Riddick, as I've said before, will never be more than a recieving threat out of the backfield. He's previously proven to be very little of a running threat. Why they keep trying to make him more baffles me. I thought Washington showed well out of the backfield as well as the TD return.

August 15th, 2016, 3:26 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

I usually care about it from the younger players perspective. Havent had a chance to see the whole game but Kyle Van Noy didnt look totally lost and looked faster than he s looked before then again he didnt really stand out either. I saw Rudock a little bit, he didnt look like a lost cause like some of the beat writers have suggested. I think it would ve been nice to see a little bit more from Decker and Tomlinson on that OL.

August 15th, 2016, 5:45 pm
3rd Round Selection

Nope, don't much care. It was good to see, but you have to take it for what it was and how little it really means when the season opens. Because we won there was more to like than not. While some see Washington as making the team based on one game, I see TJ Jones getting cut based on his performance. Neither view is realistic at this time.

Stafford didn't do much, but he wasn't going to with only one series. Dan O disappointed with his lame throw away, but showed good poise in not letting it drag him down. Ruddock played well enough all things considered. Riddick sucks as a running back based on this game, good to see Zenner apparently return to form and was surprised Ridley was last used based on camp reports. Receivers did quite well except for TJ Jones. Offensive line struggled during the ones on ones a bit more than would like to see, but you have a rookie left tackle and it is that time of year. Not sweating anything yet.

The defense didn't face the offensive stars so even the grain of salt we have to take these games with comes with its own grain of salt. Still, the defensive line and the secondary showed rather well. Linebackers are a different story. Van Noy showed up for a change and that is a good thing, but we seem to lack depth.

Special teams did a good job and competition is going to be huge in this area as we seem to have even more capable players seeking scarce roster spots.

Still, just one game and the first preseason game at that. It will be interesting to see how I feel if the team plays as well and still loses in the following games.

August 17th, 2016, 12:13 pm
RIP Killer

4-0 preseason
0-16 regular season

Nuff said.

August 17th, 2016, 9:40 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

conversion02 wrote:
4-0 preseason
0-16 regular season

Nuff said.

I hear you. And I put no faith in the preseason wins or loses. But, it's how our starters look compared to their starters. And then the young guys trying to show they are worthy of a roster spot. In some ways, like the afore mentioned, I like preseason better than the regular season.

August 17th, 2016, 9:56 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
4-0 preseason
0-16 regular season

Nuff said.

I hear you. And I put no faith in the preseason wins or loses. But, it's how our starters look compared to their starters. And then the young guys trying to show they are worthy of a roster spot. In some ways, like the afore mentioned, I like preseason better than the regular season.

I get what you're saying about evaluating players, but the problem is that it's not real game situations. Teams don't game plan for each other, they only call vanilla plays, and they aren't necessarily going for the win. Coaches want to evaluate certain things, so they don't call the games nearly the same way they would a regular season game. From my perspective, without knowing exactly what the coaches are trying to evaluate, it's nearly impossible to make an accurate assessment of the team. For me, I just don't enjoy preseason games, so I don't watch.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

August 18th, 2016, 9:08 am
Team MVP

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
4-0 preseason
0-16 regular season

Nuff said.

I get what you're saying about evaluating players, but the problem is that it's not real game situations. Teams don't game plan for each other, they only call vanilla plays, and they aren't necessarily going for the win. Coaches want to evaluate certain things, so they don't call the games nearly the same way they would a regular season game. From my perspective, without knowing exactly what the coaches are trying to evaluate, it's nearly impossible to make an accurate assessment of the team. For me, I just don't enjoy preseason games, so I don't watch.

It's impossible for most viewers to make accurate assessments during preseason because it's not the results that count, but how the players execute the play. With the vanilla gameplan, coaches would be looking to see if the player kept their assignment and executed properly. Take Van Noy for example. He broke down poorly and made the plays harder than they had to be. A lot praised him making the necessary stops, but he failed in making the right stops. "Doing it anyway" isn't good enough. Tape review of preseason games is much more effective than watching it live unfortunately, and that's not how most fans watch the games lol.

August 18th, 2016, 11:54 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

conversion02 wrote:
4-0 preseason
0-16 regular season

Nuff said.

i dont think they are good enough to sweep the preseason this time

August 18th, 2016, 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]