View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 13th, 2018, 11:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Week 1: Lions @ Colts 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Week 1: Lions @ Colts
Congrats on the win boys! A start like this can propel a team in the right direction or the wrong direction with a loss.

I also gave up the Sunday ticket two years ago so just got to see the Colts last drive and the Lions winning drive after the Cowgirls game.

Stafford did well and was understandable upset at the Ebron and Jones for being boneheads which could have cost us the game. Gotta be a smarter team than that but I'll take the win.

UNDEFEATED!

September 11th, 2016, 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
#1 Overall Pick

In an odd way, I think the missed XP won us this game.

Had it been 35-35, with 37s to spare and the Lions receiving the ball, you think Caldwell would have been that aggressive? It'd have been a couple of draws or screens hoping to spring something, then into the 50/50 crap shoot of overtime.

So thanks Matt Prater (I think) :lol:

September 12th, 2016, 6:41 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

UK Lion wrote:

Had it been 35-35, with 37s to spare and the Lions receiving the ball, you think Caldwell would have been that aggressive? It'd have been a couple of draws or screens hoping to spring something, then into the 50/50 crap shoot of overtime.

i found myself thinking the same thing, its funny how things work out sometimes

September 12th, 2016, 7:22 am
Martha Firestone Ford

The Legend wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

I agree. But, you gotta wonder how a guy that has kicked a 67 yard FG, can miss so many chip shot PAT's. He missed like 2 or 3 PAT's last year.

September 12th, 2016, 9:23 am
Martha Firestone Ford

DayDreamer wrote:
Man, this is starting to look like last season's opener. I sure we don't blow it again.

For most of the 2nd half, I was thinking the same thing. It's like we get a big lead and then take our foot off the gas pedal.

September 12th, 2016, 9:25 am
Rookie Player of the Year

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

I agree. But, you gotta wonder how a guy that has kicked a 67 yard FG, can miss so many chip shot PAT's. He missed like 2 or 3 PAT's last year.

It's because he's one of those kickers that slams his kicks hard right from the left hash. Every once in a while the wind or the way his foot catches the ball makes it pull even harder so it goes just outside.

I'm not focused on watching his kicks but it wouldn't surprise me if his kicks have a natural right hook. Prater probably can't always control at what distance the hook will start which would make it easier to line up longer kicks since it will always happen. On super short kicks it wont happen at all, but on the new extra point distance it is probably just a crap shoot.

September 12th, 2016, 9:48 am
Martha Firestone Ford

On a side note. Apparently, Ed Hockuley,(SP?), is tired of anally raping the Lions? LOL

September 12th, 2016, 11:47 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

BillySims wrote:
On a side note. Apparently, Ed Hockuley,(SP?), is tired of anally raping the Lions? LOL

It's spelled 'Hockaloogie'.

September 12th, 2016, 11:55 am
Team MVP

On extra points, I think moving them back has added the unpredictability to that play. There's a huge difference mentally from a 15 yard gimme, to a 35 yard kick that can be affected in multiple ways. The push or pull of the kick is much difference over those 15 or so yards.

Traditional views are defenses play better early, while offenses get their stride as the season goes on. Ever since the CBA changed how practices occur, I think that old view is gone. Offenses have the advantage, especially with the added rule changes to make it harder to defend. Levy only played 17 snaps last season, so while he's an all-pro caliber player, the rust was gonna be there. I'm confident in his ability to get back to form. If you remember last season, Slay was getting beat a lot early, and then turned in his best season as a pro, so I'm not sure if he was overconfident in his ability or just the less practice and not facing someone with Hilton's speed in the limited practices just makes it a harder transition for all the defensive players. It'll have to be something to keep an eye on.

Having three timeouts for that 37 seconds, showed an improvement in the coaching, even if it's easy to say they should have used one or more earlier. The fact that they didn't blow any due to not being prepared or too many on the field shows an overall better team focus, at least from the player's side. Being able to use the entire field and not being constrained to sideline only plays, helped a lot. It could have easily been a repeat of last season or a flashback to the SOL.

In the end, only thing that matters is the W. If they miss the playoffs, we always look back at each and every moment where they lost it, but if they can continue to confidently win games, no one will look at yesterday's game as anything other than that W.

September 12th, 2016, 3:26 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

It's because he's one of those kickers that slams his kicks hard right from the left hash. Every once in a while the wind or the way his foot catches the ball makes it pull even harder so it goes just outside.

I'm not focused on watching his kicks but it wouldn't surprise me if his kicks have a natural right hook. Prater probably can't always control at what distance the hook will start which would make it easier to line up longer kicks since it will always happen. On super short kicks it wont happen at all, but on the new extra point distance it is probably just a crap shoot.

Hire this man! Nice analysis

September 12th, 2016, 5:28 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

BillySims wrote:

definitely get nervous when i see him against the lions and the other team has a presumed superstar qb surprised they picked up that late hit call on whitehead

September 12th, 2016, 5:36 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Thanks for the compliment Legend.

I wanted to also add another positive take away from the game. I know both players have already been praised for their performances, but just wanted to point out specifically that we saw two players get extensions and immediately justify the money. Martin and Riddick are probably the first Lions since maybe Levy that have done that.

September 12th, 2016, 8:11 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

I haven't actually watched the game yet, it's on DVR when I get home. But, does anyone think the Lions let the Colts score their last TD? Leaving enough time on the clock to get into FG range.

September 13th, 2016, 1:57 am
#1 Overall Pick

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

Good points.

I also assumed this was the reason we ran our penultimate play. People seemed to think it was to run off some clock - I thought it was mainly about getting the ball from the right hash to the left hash.

Agree with nj that it was good we had all 3 timeouts left, rather than having blown one or two earlier in the half through lack of organisation.

Still, one small error from Caldwell - he called the last timeout a few seconds too early. Had the lateral-tastic return come off I would have been mildly irritated!

September 15th, 2016, 5:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3