View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 15th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Week 1: Lions @ Colts 
#1 Overall Pick

Post Re: Week 1: Lions @ Colts
Another stupid penalty too to give us a longer field. Idiots.

September 11th, 2016, 7:42 pm
RIP Killer

Wow, these are some dumb f$cking players. How do they not go OOB???

September 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
RIP Killer

Kudos to stafford for the impending win...but damn, the pass D, the stupid penalties, the poor OL play...

September 11th, 2016, 7:48 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Stafford with a quality road win against an elite QB.

September 11th, 2016, 7:51 pm
#1 Overall Pick

A road win, which is always good. And nice to win a close one. Good to see that we have the offensive weapons to compete too. And a run game!

Some concerns though as c2 says. Could be a roller coaster of a season.

Fun start though :D

September 11th, 2016, 7:53 pm
3rd Round Selection

We are in for a looong season. I can't imagine what our offense would look like against elite DBs if we struggled against Indy's ragtag secondary.

Maybe this is just the rust/unfamiliarity etc etc. I hope they operate better as the season goes on.

September 11th, 2016, 8:06 pm
National Champion

I will take the win!

September 11th, 2016, 8:07 pm
NFL Team Captain

DayDreamer wrote:
We are in for a looong season. I can't imagine what our offense would look like against elite DBs if we struggled against Indy's ragtag secondary.

Maybe this is just the rust/unfamiliarity etc etc. I hope they operate better as the season goes on.

I don't believe scoring points will be our weakness. Our defense must play better.

September 11th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

DayDreamer wrote:

they didnt really challenge those guys much so im not sure you infer much from not beating them deep. the lions did score a ton of points

September 11th, 2016, 8:20 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Nice to see Stafford getting after his guys for not going down or getting out of bounds. It's really unfortunate he had to tell a guy like Marvin Jones that, but still shows him owning the offense.

September 11th, 2016, 8:22 pm
NFL Team Captain

rao wrote:
Nice to see Stafford getting after his guys for not going down or getting out of bounds. It's really unfortunate he had to tell a guy like Marvin Jones that, but still shows him owning the offense.

Agree.

September 11th, 2016, 8:25 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Nice game, guys. The one big thing we're missing is a consistent pass rush, which I think would solve most of our ills on D. Guys are being asked to cover for too long.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

September 11th, 2016, 8:49 pm
3rd Round Selection

rao wrote:

This is what I was alluding to. Marvin has what 3-4 years under him, and I was surprised to see him make such a rookie mistake. But as I said before, maybe it was just the rust, or the nerves or ...

September 11th, 2016, 8:59 pm
RIP Killer

DayDreamer wrote:

Well, considering stafford had an absolutely phenomenal day...that's not the problem.

I'm more worried about a better OL and run game against this awful pass defense (i.e. Green Bay).

September 11th, 2016, 9:23 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

QB - Stafford completed at 80% and threw for 340 yards with 3 TDs and no turnovers. Him and Marvin Jones look like they need to get on a little bit better rhythm though as the vast majority of the misses were intended for him. Stafford showed some elusiveness extending a few plays and running for a first down also. One key play may have been pure luck but we could also call it "instinct". Stafford fled the pocket and made a 3rd down completion/conversion to set up a TD where he just barely stepped up far enough and got rid of it fast enough to avoid a potential turnover or at the very least missing out on a TD on that drive. Also had a 2nd down in the first half where Boldin/Ebron were running crossing routes vs man coverage and both defenders converged on Ebron inside, Stafford read the play blatantly wrong and threw it to Ebron rather than an open Boldin for a TD. Fortunately he threw a rope to Ebron who took a hit but held on for a score on the next play. There were also a couple balls that were somewhat dangerous but seemed to more on the wideout (Jones). Stafford played within the system and let his backs and WRs pick up a lot of extra yardage after the catch but seemed to do a nice job on audibles (Riddick Td run) and communicating with the line especially later in the game where the Colts fans started to get back into it. Cromartie dropped an interceptable ball intended for Jones where Jones never got open on the play and Stafford should ve probably tried to throw it short instead of going over the top.

A- : Not perfect and level of difficulty maybe wasnt that high with some of the throws and the opponent but Stafford was on target and very much in command.

RB - Theo Riddick had bar none his best day as an NFL runner, both patient and elusive and stellar in the passing game as usual. He missed some time in the game being evaluated for a concussion but picked up right where he left off upon returning to the game for an injured Abdullah. Abdullah had an equally impressive game making people miss running the ball and also looked like close to Theo s equal catching it out of the backfield. Both guys did an excellent job following blocks and also making guys miss at the next level. Washington had a nice effort on his second try punching the ball in at the goalline for a score. Burton didnt get much time but did fine.

A: Might be the best rushing performance we see all season, but it was reassuring to see these guys are capable when the line isnt overmatched.

TE: Ebron had a great day catching the ball, keeping possession on a diving play for a first down and then holding on despite taking a decent hit for a score bailing out Stafford after a bad decision on the play before. He still wasnt very good blocking, particulary on a handoff to Tate where the play went right behind Ebron and he had a chance to block two defenders but looked like he did his best not to touch either one of them. Cole Wick got some playing time and made a catch but looked concussed after hitting his head on the turf on the tackle.

B: Not an all around performance but definitely a factor opponents will have to respect in the passing game.

WR: Anquan Boldin was outstanding after the catch but what stood out to me was his excellent blocking helping spring teammates for extra yardage. Golden Tate ended up with a lot of catches where he was expected to make something happen with his feet after the ball, although he didnt really break any him and Stafford were on the same page, his effort looked good and he got the yards that were there. Marvin Jones performance was up and down. He left some plays on the field though they were mostly difficult ones where he couldnt get into good enough position to make a catch or just failing to squeeze and pull it in after getting his hands on it. Stafford also sailed one right to him that Jones never knew was coming, was very dangerous since he never tried to make a play on it with 3 defenders around him but the throw was on target. Jones came through by getting open and making a catch to put the Lions in position for the game winning field goal but he took some of the luster off that play by not getting out of bounds. Jones also struggled to get off the line when jammed/bumped on the line, he needs to use his hands to get those guys off of him but may lack the strength. They called Roberts number once and he came through with the catch, also didnt make bad decisions in the return game.

B: They were fine but room for improvement and overshadowed by the backs performance.

OL: For the most part they kept Stafford clean and opened up lanes in the running game. They did get called for a couple penalties. In the middle parts of the game they didnt win there battles but didnt totally whiff on blocks either. The guards impressed me blocking up to the next level and staying after the play, for example Tomlinson made a great block on Boldins catch and run on a screen play. The left side did a nice coordinated job of the interior guys fanning outside and Decker going to the 2nd level to seal the edge for Riddick s TD run on an audible by Stafford. Someone should tell Reiff to play to the whistle bc he missed a couple potential blocks (not assignments) walking around just assuming that the play was over after he made his initial block on the play.

B: Could be better against weak opposition but they did there job protecting and creating running lanes.

DL: Lions went with a very deep rotation with 9 DL active. Kerry Hyder continued to surprise coming away with 2 sacks, getting a couple other hits on Luck and even pushing his OL into Luck to break up another play. He did a good job playing with leverage and being patient on stunt plays. Ziggy Ansah didnt have the monster performance he should ve had despite not being doubled as ofter as I thought he d be. Austin stunted him right into a Gore running play and Ansah just ran right past him letting Gore get a 10 yard gain and he also dove at Luck's feet prematurely allowing the QB to escape for a completion and first down on the go ahead drive in the red zone. Devin Taylor played better than I expected against the run, keeping the edge. Haloti Ngata was a beast especially in the first half where he took out a double team and then managed to move and clobber Ferguson with both OL still trying to block him. Robinson batted down a pass and Thornton looked quick off the ball but got called for an offsides and didnt break into the stat sheet much. Gilberry moved inside on some passing downs but didnt seem to wreak much havoc. They looked good in the first half getting pressure but it dwindled down in the 2nd half and when they did get to Luck they struggled to finish the plays. Colts also got called for a few holds trying to keep these guys off of Luck.

C+: A tale of two halves but overall expect them to get more pressure against a team playing from behind and predictably throwing.

LB: Levy and Whitehead both had poor games. Whitehead was indecisive in coverage with TEs slipping behind him being bated by WRs or backs crossing in front of him. He let Allen go right past him for a wide open TD and then caught in the middle of indecision for a TD by Doyle. He also got beat by Ferguson in the pass game but was solid in run support and ended up leading the team in tackles and did actually break up a couple passes. Then again he let Luck off the hook on a potential sack. Levy bit on a run fake on the 2 pt conversion pass but otherwise was okay in coverage but he looked like a tentative cream puff against the run. Not his best game but speed, coverage instincts were there. KVN was off the field quite a bit for extra defensive backs but looked like he belonged despite not making an plays.

D-

DBs: I spent much of the game wondering where the safety support was? The Colts have really fast WRs but it seemed Glover Quinn was too often a day late and a dollar short to the party although some of it may have been the guys in front of them. Neither Bush or Wilson seem to be close to the playing speed that Abdul-Qudus showed a year ago. So far seems to be a mistake not bringing him back. These two struggled with backs, TEs and were nowhere to be found when Luck was floating balls all over the field for the entire second half. Darius Slay was burnt toast multiple times but it seemed to be bc he was arrogant about his speed being in good position until the ball went in the air and then assuming he could catch up or that the ball would be underthrown. He continues to puzzle. Diggs struggled with the speed of the defenders and failed to make a play on the ball when Luck s throw was way behind Doyle on a throw over the middle. He was okay supporting the run but figures to do better against teams with not quite so much speed. Nevin Lawson was by no means shut down but he didnt have egregious gaffes like Slay.

D-

ST: They were good in kick coverage against a team with good speed. Martin boomed his kicks and pinned them deep twice. Prater s missed XP was brutal but he came through in the clutch. Not many chances to do anything when the Lions were returning. Taylor made a dumb penalty trying to leap over the longsnapper on a Viniateri kick.

B

Coaching: Cooter called a great game, minimizing risk but yet moving the ball and keeping his QB well protected. He showcased the talent of several Lions skill players which will make it tough for opponents to defend the Lions. Although the Lions got away from attacking a depleted secondary maybe bc of the early lead and Caldwell s conservative style, he did go after them again late in the game. Austin went to prevent way too early and couldnt generate enough pressure but part of it was him putting guys in position to make plays but the players just not finishing. He s also not at fault for having limited options in the secondary. Cadwell stuck to his guns declining penalties in favor of downs but I would ve liked to see the Colts have to take a snap from there own end zone later in the game rather than with a 5 yard cushion. Also, taking a timeout after Jones catch with 12 seconds left made little sense when the Lions were going to kick the game winning field goal. He should have let it run down to 3-4 seconds and then burned the timeout. They ran a play which IMO was risky but accomplished the goal of burning a few more seconds off the clock. Booting Stafford around the edge and then having him throw it out of bounds - I was pretty uncomfortable watching that one.

C+

September 11th, 2016, 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next