View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 15th, 2018, 10:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Lions Bears 
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Re: Lions Bears
They are just a mediocre talent team w poor coaching. They could have easily won or lost all 4 games this year. Im not sure there s any reason to fire Caldwell bc Quinn s approach during the offseason was not a win now approach - if he wanted a rebuild he should ve fired Caldwell and brought in his own guy then and if he expected more from the team this season he should ve done something to address there team needs with some established players rather than just rookies (edited). Im sure we ll hear some kind of a spin about injuries to Levy and Ansah or some other BS.

Last edited by The Legend on October 2nd, 2016, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 2nd, 2016, 4:22 pm
3rd Round Selection

They just proved today that they're the worst team in the division, if not the whole league. Time to scrap the scrubs, and get to rebuilding.... again. I wish Schwartz was on the sideline, he at least cared enough to get mad.

October 2nd, 2016, 4:24 pm
NFL Team Captain

Jeez, four games into the season and it's over. Looks like the pinnacle of the season will be beating the Colts.

October 2nd, 2016, 4:34 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Well, that was like watching a boxing match between 2 guys with no arms. A terrible standard of football, with the Lions coming out the winners in the "who can suck the most" stakes.

The lack of discipline and preparedness is just atrocious. Caldwell should be embarrassed.

Kyle Van Noy needs cutting. How this man has been on the roster so long, I have no idea. He is flat out not a football player. The sequence where he let the INT hit his hand as he did nothing, then whiffed on 2 tackles, was just atrocious.

Ebron is soft as hell. I have never seen such a wimpy player.

Golden Tate has clearly decided he fancies a season off.

4 weeks in and we still don't know how to cover tight ends.

4 weeks in and we still haven't worked out how to deal with the new 25yd touchback on kickoffs (after this many crazy attempts whilst he keeps the job, it's clear Roberts has been asked to play this way by the coaches).

And that's just off the top of my head. I cannot believe we have to sit through a third Caldwell coached season. Painful.

October 2nd, 2016, 4:39 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

DayDreamer wrote:
They just proved today that they're the worst team in the division, if not the whole league. Time to scrap the scrubs, and get to rebuilding.... again. I wish Schwartz was on the sideline, he at least cared enough to get mad.

You wish is granted. Schwartz will be on the sidelines next week. WITH 2 WEEKS OF PREPARING FOR THE LIONS.

Any bets that Schwartz will have the Eagles defense hopped up on adrenaline? And the Lions will come out at the speed of Eor from Winnie the Pooh.

Next week will be another monumental rectum kicking!!!!!!

October 2nd, 2016, 9:44 pm
3rd Round Selection

Sorry, but it isn't the referees and it isn't a lack of talent. It is an excess of space between the ears. Has been for years but everyone thinks that because teams spend so much to acquire talent that it has to be talent, after all, it was always talent as we grew up and we all see the 'bad' calls the refs make.

At this stage the game is more mental than physical. For all intents and purposes talent is equal, teams spend millions to ensure no-one gets more talent. Now it is all about how to use the talent as coaches and as players. You have to know what to do, how to do it and when to do it. The Lions screw this part up way too often. It is why they lose on bad calls by the refs.

With that said. there are 12 games left. The coaches know what has to be done, players know what has to be done, they just have to pull their collective heads out of their arses. they can start by using Zenner more.

This does not mean I have hope for the season. i don't and didn't. Still like the direction of Quinn.

October 2nd, 2016, 10:18 pm
RIP Killer

2016 = basically done after 4 games, ready for the draft. That is what it is like to be a Lions fan - ugh!

October 3rd, 2016, 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

QB - He wasnt good and many of his throws were slightly behind, not in stride but he was far from the problem in this game. Golden Tate dropped a 3rd down pass, Ebron dropped another and Boldin and Marvin Jones also dropped balls. Backbreakers in a close game. His 4th qtr throw to Ebron was way off and resulted in an INT and killed chances at a comeback. He looks much better however navigating in the pocket than he did just a couple seasons ago and had a couple of effective scrambles. He makes a lot of amazing difficult tight throws threading through multiple defenders but not a lot to show for it based on questionable effort and another poor performance by his pass catchers.

C-

RB - Riddick runs with effort but he just doesnt seem to have the power or acceleration to make a lot happen as a runner - at least behind this line. Zenner and Washington look like better bw the tackles runner but the Lions usage of players has the roles flipped. Zenner getting his first offensive snaps at the goalline is kind of strange and the blocking on that play was even more strange with the potential lead blocking players motioning out of rather than into the targeted running hole. Without Abdullah and with Washington injured it appears talent is lacking but Zenner can read his blocks and is crafty. We ll see what he has hopefully next week and he should see a larger role than what the Lions gave Washington this week.

D

WR/TE - Cant have dropped passes particularly on 3rd down in a low scoring game like this but Ebron and Tate did. They also do Stafford very little if any favors by routinely dropping balls that require only a minimal adjustment to catch - Jones, Boldin. Wick had a chance at a big play but seems he couldnt read the trajectory of the throw and ran too far across rather than up the field. Unless its totally on target and in stride they are dropping the ball - all of them - and that seems to be too much to ask with the amount of pressure that teams get without blitzing a coverage player. Golden Tate drops the line a full grade by blowing another route leading to an INT which seems to be a far too frequent occurrence for him. Boldin plays hard but looked slow and big in this game, he s not much use if he s dropping passes but maybe they should ve looked his way near the red zone. Ebron is just a disgrace as a blocker and gives a terrible effort. Tate cant get himself benched in a game where a player like him can flip the odds into the Lions favor in just one play - unfortunately the last two seasons he seems to hurt more than he helps.

F

OL - They arent very good but they arent Lombardi era bad anymore either. Still too many penalties and they get beat too often. Im not sure they have even one above average player in this unit. I used to think Warford but that was all mostly his rookie year - he had a bad false start and got whipped for an easy sack in this one also. Even Reiff at RT, doesnt seem to finish his blocks and struggles to get into good position. Decker and Tomlinson have there struggles also but maybe a little bit more excusable given the youth, inexperience. Swanson seems better this year but also got bullrushed into a run play and also got beaten badly for a sack. This was a weak matchup however and this unit just doesnt capitalize. As a team they need to work on securing the double team block on the DLman prior to working off the double team to the linebacker - it seems that both blockers too often will just hit the DL player and then both will try to move up and block the LB which it seems they both struggle to get a piece of anyway. Seems unlikely they will develop a running game this year with these runners and this line.

C-

DL - Not a lot of high end talent on this unit. It seems they are just average type players mostly incapable of making any big plays. Devin Taylor is probably there best player right now on the edge but offenses know that and have been effective limiting him. Ngata is solid and Walker is just okay and neither generates a pass rush, maybe Walker is still working his way back from injury. Thornton and Hyder each made a play or two but have plays where they dont seem to be playing fundamental ball - particularly Hyder on the naked boots. Robinson made a couple nice plays and it was nice to see him a little more involved in the rotation. Gilberry hasnt done much of anything but get blocked and Copeland seems out of position unless its a passing down. Besides Hyder s sack in 2 minute drill there wasnt another pressure or Qb hit all game by this unit.

C-

LB - Whitehead and Van Noy ended up making a lot of tackles but thats misleading. They were both slow to react in run support, too often getting blocked right at the point of attack, getting fooled by misdirection or just not attempting the tackle with authority. Van Noy missed a couple of tackles or got dragged for additional gain and Whitehead flat out looked afraid of Howard later in the game. Neither has done much in coverage and Van Noy was sent on a blitz a couple times but just doesnt do it wit the excitement and effort he should. Williams got some playing time but appeared to not understand the coverage schemes which resulted in an easy touchdown pass to Zach Miller.

D

DB - They were sort of hung out to dry bc of the lack of pass rush and poor tackling by the LBers but they were the brightest performers among the defense. Bush did an okay job stepping in for Wilson and Quinn had a good game. Slay was the top performer limiting Jeffery and coming up with a sack on a double DB blitz - but why wasnt that called again? Hoyer did kind of pick them apart to control the game and they never did get him to make a mistake but with the exception of Eddie Royal getting past Diggs they kept things in front of them which seemed to be the game plan.

B-

ST - Roberts had the big return and Martin has again been strong with placement distance and hang time on his punts. Not sure the decision making on kickoffs has made any sense - would like to see more touchbacks and less penalty riddled short returns. Prater made his kicks. I think it was Bademosi - Quinn s hand picked special teamer that had a starting position crippling penalty on a return. Martin s onside kick was short and didnt give the team much of a chance to get to the ball.

A-

Coaching - too many penalties and too many players giving up on plays or making mental blunders. In the run game Ebron is known to be a poor blocker but it seems he is responsible for a crucial point of attack block on almost every run and they seem to prefer running with him as the lead blocker rather than bring Burton into the game. Extremelely frustrating and hard to believe its a good strategy. The play calls from the goalline seemed odd given that the Lions were depleted at RB and werent getting any push on the line - hard to believe they didnt pass it on both 2nd and 3rd down let alone not even on one of the plays. Austin had his defense sitting back waiting for Hoyer to make a mistake and tried a few blitzer but he doesnt have the athletes to do it. He generated one when he sent Bush and Slay on the same play but there are only so many times you can do that. Seems that this was the 2nd game (TEN) where you can look back and see that the talent is equal if not in favor of the Lions but the finer details of the game - being a poorly coached team is the difference in the final outcome.

D-

October 4th, 2016, 12:28 am
Pro Bowl Player

The Legend wrote:
They are just a mediocre talent team w poor coaching. They could have easily won or lost all 4 games this year. Im not sure there s any reason to fire Caldwell bc Quinn s approach during the offseason was not a win now approach - if he wanted a rebuild he should ve fired Caldwell and brought in his own guy then and if he expected more from the team this season he should ve done something to address there team needs with some established players rather than just rookies (edited). Im sure we ll hear some kind of a spin about injuries to Levy and Ansah or some other BS.

I can think of 1 reason to fire Caldwell. If you think there is even a chance that Austin is still a HC Candidate you would be willing to look at, Then Fire Caldwell now and promote Austin to HC. Give him 3/4 of a season with *decent* talent (not above avg but not 0-16 quality either) and see if he can get them to play better than Caldwell has in 3 seasons. You sure as poop arent keeping caldwell after this anyways, so there really isnt much to be lost.

October 4th, 2016, 11:41 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Megatron

IMO fire Caldwell and put either Edsall or Cunningham in as interim HC. Austin has regressed and Cooter just started his first season as OC; its likely the entire staff will be replaced in the off-season anyway.

October 4th, 2016, 1:03 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

No way you can promote Austin to interim. The guy has no LBs and is missing his only star player on defense. He can't make anything out of this dumpster fire of a defensive roster as it is and doesn't need more on his plate.

Wags has the right idea. The Lions have 4 guys in lesser coaching roles that have actual HC experience and wont make things even harder for the rest of the staff if they are shifted to interim HC. Out of Edsall, Golden, Prince, and Cunningham, I think Edsall makes the most sense given his age and current minor role, but I would rather see the emotion for Cunningham out there if he's up for it at his age.

October 4th, 2016, 2:15 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Its tricky. Im fine with any of them, but then you get no tryout for Austin, the 1 who might actually have the pot to be a good HC (not having much talent to work with notwithstanding). I just don't see any benefit to holding onto Caldwell.

October 4th, 2016, 3:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
3rd Round Selection

No, just no to the interim HC idea. I don't want a situation where the interim HC gets us a couple of wins, so he'll have "earned a chance at a full offseason", and just like that we're back for another losing year.

I want Caldwell to finish off this season, I know it will get bad, but let's face it, we're not winning any playoffs this season anyway. At least this way, we get a chance at hiring someone good next year.

On a side note, I would not mind it one bit if they bring back Jim Schwartz btw, he might have matured a bit since the last time he was here, and no there's no denying the fact that he's a talented coach.

October 5th, 2016, 4:22 pm
Pro Bowl Player

DayDreamer wrote:
No, just no to the interim HC idea. I don't want a situation where the interim HC gets us a couple of wins, so he'll have "earned a chance at a full offseason", and just like that we're back for another losing year.

I want Caldwell to finish off this season, I know it will get bad, but let's face it, we're not winning any playoffs this season anyway. At least this way, we get a chance at hiring someone good next year.

On a side note, I would not mind it one bit if they bring back Jim Schwartz btw, he might have matured a bit since the last time he was here, and no there's no denying the fact that he's a talented coach.

I can respect your concerns. As to Schwartz, I like him as a fiery Xs and Os DC, but not sure he will ever be a good HC and not interested in testing those waters. Would have no problem hiring him as a DC again.

October 5th, 2016, 4:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

DayDreamer wrote:

Austin is the only coach on the staff that would have a chance of becoming the HC, so as long as he isn't the interim there is nothing to worry about. I wouldn't mind seeing them fire Caldwell just to show an intolerance to losing.

Schwartz is not a HC and has not matured. He has to be a DC so you can hide his crazy antics. He is a talented coach/coordinator, he is not a talented head coach. You also get none of his positives as a HC since he didn't even run the defense when he was in Detroit.

October 5th, 2016, 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next