View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 13th, 2017, 7:23 am



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 NFL free agency 
Author Message
Team President - Rod Wood

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 4972
Location: WSU
Post Re: NFL free agency
rao wrote:
http://detroitjockcity.com/2017/01/18/detroit-lions-free-agent-prediction-larry-warford/

I thought that article was kind of an interesting look on Quinn's preference for guys with faster short shuttle and how Warford may not fit his mold along with the money increase at OG. The writer may just reading to far into things, but NE has always had pretty athletic linemen no matter their size.

I would let Warford go because the value just isn't there. I understand the thought on needing to start retaining your own good players, but you can't overpay them. Tomlinson looked much better when he was filling in sporadically for Warford on the right and actually got a little better on the left at the end of the season. If they can keep Reiff I won't be overly concerned about Tomlinson at RG along with hopefully Dahl pushing him for the spot. Quinn also was spotted spending at least one whole day watching Olinemen at the East-West Shrine game practices, so I imagine we see at least one new Oline drafted no matter what happens. There are also some cheap options for interior linemen in FA if they look for a reclamation project or a vet band aid.


nice read

Luke Joeckel, potential reclamation project? he shouldnt be priced too high considering what Okung got last year w far better track record.


January 20th, 2017, 9:33 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2257
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: NFL free agency
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
http://detroitjockcity.com/2017/01/18/detroit-lions-free-agent-prediction-larry-warford/

I thought that article was kind of an interesting look on Quinn's preference for guys with faster short shuttle and how Warford may not fit his mold along with the money increase at OG. The writer may just reading to far into things, but NE has always had pretty athletic linemen no matter their size.

I would let Warford go because the value just isn't there. I understand the thought on needing to start retaining your own good players, but you can't overpay them. Tomlinson looked much better when he was filling in sporadically for Warford on the right and actually got a little better on the left at the end of the season. If they can keep Reiff I won't be overly concerned about Tomlinson at RG along with hopefully Dahl pushing him for the spot. Quinn also was spotted spending at least one whole day watching Olinemen at the East-West Shrine game practices, so I imagine we see at least one new Oline drafted no matter what happens. There are also some cheap options for interior linemen in FA if they look for a reclamation project or a vet band aid.


nice read

Luke Joeckel, potential reclamation project? he shouldnt be priced too high considering what Okung got last year w far better track record.


Joeckel was my thought too. I would also look at Brian Schwenke. He has the size and athleticism to fit the mold and can play both guard or center.


January 20th, 2017, 10:57 am
Profile
Team President - Rod Wood

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 4972
Location: WSU
Post Re: NFL free agency
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
http://detroitjockcity.com/2017/01/18/detroit-lions-free-agent-prediction-larry-warford/

I thought that article was kind of an interesting look on Quinn's preference for guys with faster short shuttle and how Warford may not fit his mold along with the money increase at OG. The writer may just reading to far into things, but NE has always had pretty athletic linemen no matter their size.

I would let Warford go because the value just isn't there. I understand the thought on needing to start retaining your own good players, but you can't overpay them. Tomlinson looked much better when he was filling in sporadically for Warford on the right and actually got a little better on the left at the end of the season. If they can keep Reiff I won't be overly concerned about Tomlinson at RG along with hopefully Dahl pushing him for the spot. Quinn also was spotted spending at least one whole day watching Olinemen at the East-West Shrine game practices, so I imagine we see at least one new Oline drafted no matter what happens. There are also some cheap options for interior linemen in FA if they look for a reclamation project or a vet band aid.


nice read

Luke Joeckel, potential reclamation project? he shouldnt be priced too high considering what Okung got last year w far better track record.


Joeckel was my thought too. I would also look at Brian Schwenke. He has the size and athleticism to fit the mold and can play both guard or center.



schwenke or wisniewski are probably decent options also. i still see warford as behind TJ Lang and Zeitler. I guess it will be interesting to see how many teams are going to shell big money out for a guard. Doubt Warford gets much more than Winters but starting to think more and more that his future will not be in Detroit.


January 21st, 2017, 2:18 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10931
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: NFL free agency
They need to see if they can get a bag of balls for Tomlinson. He's hot garbage. They should be looking for a RT and 2 OGs this offseason

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


January 23rd, 2017, 9:53 pm
Profile
Team President - Rod Wood

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 4972
Location: WSU
Post Re: NFL free agency
conversion02 wrote:
They need to see if they can get a bag of balls for Tomlinson. He's hot garbage. They should be looking for a RT and 2 OGs this offseason


swanson looked worse last year - confused, didnt know the offense and was looking at surgery in the offseason. they dont have much choice but to let it play out.


January 24th, 2017, 9:13 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Offense
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2867
Post Re: NFL free agency
conversion02 wrote:
They need to see if they can get a bag of balls for Tomlinson. He's hot garbage. They should be looking for a RT and 2 OGs this offseason


Wishful thinking, but I wonder if Tomlinson switching from RG in college to LG in the pros was part of the issue. Wonder if they'll let Warford go and try Tomlinson at RG.

_________________
"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell


January 27th, 2017, 12:22 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2257
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: NFL free agency
thelomasbrowns wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
They need to see if they can get a bag of balls for Tomlinson. He's hot garbage. They should be looking for a RT and 2 OGs this offseason


Wishful thinking, but I wonder if Tomlinson switching from RG in college to LG in the pros was part of the issue. Wonder if they'll let Warford go and try Tomlinson at RG.


He looked much more comfortable on the right and wasn't a complete liability when he was filling in for Warford before the Swanson injury. IMO it'll be more dependent on what happens at RT. If they can bring back Reiff or another RT that can come in and start at Reiff's level then Tomlinson will do enough. If they are forced to downgrade at RT, I just can't see Tomlinson being able do his job while helping a weak RT.


January 27th, 2017, 2:19 pm
Profile
Team President - Rod Wood

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 4972
Location: WSU
Post Re: NFL free agency
The Legend wrote:
I think the biggest gains the Lions can make are running the ball and rushing the passer.

Id consider dropping a big offer for Melvin Ingram and also try to swing a deal for Mike Gillislee.



Patriots saw the value in Gillislee and offerred him a 2 year deal, will have to part with a 5th round pick. Doesnt seem like a bad price for a guy who s looked like he could be a breakout star when given a chance.

Its also interesting that a lot of teams are saying how deep this draft is but the Patriots seem to be saying the oppposite. At this point, they dont even get a pick until the 3rd round having traded there first two picks for Brandin Cooks and Kony Ealy. Maybe the Patriots feel the high end talent is missing and are getting it outside the draft but still ike the depth with 2 3rd rd picks and still having picks in 4,5,6,7. They ve also held on to Garropolo when there are probably a couple teams that want to trade picks for him. Alternatively, it could just be that Brady s 40 and they see a narrowing window on there dynasty and trying to go all in on another championship run.


April 19th, 2017, 11:24 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2257
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: NFL free agency
The Legend wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I think the biggest gains the Lions can make are running the ball and rushing the passer.

Id consider dropping a big offer for Melvin Ingram and also try to swing a deal for Mike Gillislee.



Patriots saw the value in Gillislee and offerred him a 2 year deal, will have to part with a 5th round pick. Doesnt seem like a bad price for a guy who s looked like he could be a breakout star when given a chance.

Its also interesting that a lot of teams are saying how deep this draft is but the Patriots seem to be saying the oppposite. At this point, they dont even get a pick until the 3rd round having traded there first two picks for Brandin Cooks and Kony Ealy. Maybe the Patriots feel the high end talent is missing and are getting it outside the draft but still ike the depth with 2 3rd rd picks and still having picks in 4,5,6,7. They ve also held on to Garropolo when there are probably a couple teams that want to trade picks for him. Alternatively, it could just be that Brady s 40 and they see a narrowing window on there dynasty and trying to go all in on another championship run.


IMO 5th and $4M in the first year would be to much for the Lions to spend, so I don't feel like they missed out. Good move for the Pats and who knows maybe if the Lions don't find a RB in the draft they can get Blount on a cheap 1 yr since he's still a FA.

It's the let's get more rings while we can thing if you ask me. They aren't just trading away picks, they have also been willing to sign some big short term deals for big name vets the last couple years. Once Brady is gone Belichick will be to, so why worry about the future.


April 19th, 2017, 12:06 pm
Profile
Team President - Rod Wood

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 4972
Location: WSU
Post Re: NFL free agency
Anyone else excited about the Lions meeting with Zach Orr? I think he d be a solid addition. Would almost definitely start. Davis and Orr would be the 3 down linebackers. Whitehead, Worrilow, Maybin, Williams rounding it out would be solid depth. We re still hurting at RB and DL but any addition of this caliber would be helpful. IMO Orr has already proven it, Lions could give him a 3-4 year deal vs the rest of the league seem to be saying he will get a one year "prove-it" type of deal.


July 1st, 2017, 1:12 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2257
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: NFL free agency
The Legend wrote:
Anyone else excited about the Lions meeting with Zach Orr? I think he d be a solid addition. Would almost definitely start. Davis and Orr would be the 3 down linebackers. Whitehead, Worrilow, Maybin, Williams rounding it out would be solid depth. We re still hurting at RB and DL but any addition of this caliber would be helpful. IMO Orr has already proven it, Lions could give him a 3-4 year deal vs the rest of the league seem to be saying he will get a one year "prove-it" type of deal.


I am also excited they were the first to jump at him, but not confident in them getting him. I think his cost for one year may price him out of the Lions range. They have less than 6M in cap space left. Orr's age will probably give him the confidence to bet on himself for one year instead of taking a multi year at the Lions best rate.


July 1st, 2017, 8:05 pm
Profile
Team President - Rod Wood

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 4972
Location: WSU
Post Re: NFL free agency
anyone have an idea whats going on with Orr?

I keep reading about the Lions problems at nickel CB last year but ignoring the gashing the LBs took in coverage. Davis and Orr as the main coverage linebackers would seem to turn that weakness into a strength and be decent against the run also. Next offseason if the Lions could commit to adding to the passrush and running game they might have something.


July 17th, 2017, 8:37 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2257
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: NFL free agency
The Legend wrote:
anyone have an idea whats going on with Orr?

I keep reading about the Lions problems at nickel CB last year but ignoring the gashing the LBs took in coverage. Davis and Orr as the main coverage linebackers would seem to turn that weakness into a strength and be decent against the run also. Next offseason if the Lions could commit to adding to the passrush and running game they might have something.


Orr and his agent said they were going to stop talking to media until something is finalized. He may not have even been ok'd to return


July 17th, 2017, 9:05 pm
Profile
Team President - Rod Wood

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 4972
Location: WSU
Post Re: NFL free agency
Im thinking none of the team doctors will clear him to play


July 19th, 2017, 10:27 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.