View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 11th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Rank Matthew Stafford going into 2017 
Team President - Rod Wood

Post Re: Rank Matthew Stafford going into 2017
Quote:
Physically taller and bigger, plus a few years younger. Advantage Luck

Actually they are less than 2 years apart. Stafford has been more durable recently despite similar lack of protection. Luck has a labrum injury that has been fairly significant and correlates with his decline in play the last two seasons.

Quote:
As a rookie, threw a TD with 4 seconds left to beat Stafford/Lions after bringing them back from down 33-21. BTW - he threw for over 4K yards that year to set rookie record. Advantage Luck

That was quite the shocking comeback, Lions passing from midfield on 2nd and 3rd down up 2 scores w 4 minutes and a shanked Nick Harris punt werent very helpful. Luck brought them back despite throwing a 4th quarter pick and somehow got 11 plays off in the last 1:06 of the game. But do we not give Stafford credit for beating the Lucks in a comeback in 2016 at Indy?

Quote:
In his second season he made the Pro Bowl (he also make it the next year). He also made the playoffs and brought his team back from 28 points to win 45-44. Advantage Luck

Indeed that was impressive. It was also a HOME playoff game - a product of Luck playing in the worst division in football. Luck s record in the division is 20-5 and outside the division he s 23-22. The division is definitely an advantage for him while the Lions play in one of the tougher divisions in the NFL.

Quote:
In fact Luck lead his team to 3-straight playoffs and has 3 career playoff wins (that is 3 more than Stafford). Advantage Luck

Luck does have a playoff road win. On the other hand Stafford is the higher rated playoff QB 87.8 vs Luck's 70.8.

Quote:
Passing - Career QB rating better than Stafford along with TD-to-INT ratio and higher YPA. Advantage Luck

Actually Luck 87.3, Stafford 86.8. Stafford came into the league younger, in a tougher division and to a winless team. YPA is 7.2-7.1. Im not sure there s a significant difference there. Also in the last 2 seasons Stafford has thrown for less INTs despite 348 more passing attempts than Luck.

Quote:
Rushing Career rushing average 5.0 to 3.5. Advantage Luck

Luck is more mobile but Stafford is improving in this area and is far more selective with his scrambles subjecting himself to less trauma and had the advantage last season 5.6-5.3. Stafford has developed into a smarter more effective scrambler than Luck.

Quote:
Ask just about any neutral fan who they would rather have as their teams QB... Advantage Luck

Maybe most who are stuck in the past would agree. However at this point, there is little separating the two QBs. Stafford is ascending and Luck has had a couple tougher seasons with injuries and his division opponents catching up to the Colts. I like both of them and really do think they are similar caliber players.

June 2nd, 2017, 3:03 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I would say without a doubt Luck has the higher ceiling and a fair chance to reach it, but Stafford seems to be hitting his stride. At this moment I would put Stafford ahead of Luck if I want the best QB possible, I'd take Luck if I'm looking a couple years into the future.

June 2nd, 2017, 9:57 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
Maybe most who are stuck in the past would agree. However at this point, there is little separating the two QBs. Stafford is ascending and Luck has had a couple tougher seasons with injuries and his division opponents catching up to the Colts. I like both of them and really do think they are similar caliber players.

I don't disagree - in fact there is a group of about 10 guys from 3-13 that are fairly close. They consist of some very good QBs like Big Ben/Brees/Rivers on the slide, new up-and-coming QBs with potential like Prescot/Carr and prime age QBs like Stafford/Luck/Newton who have an opportunity to pull away from the pack.

Quote:
Sporting News: Lions’ Stafford 13th-best NFL QB

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford could in the near future become the NFL’s richest player.

But, the NFL’s best quarterback? Not even close, according to The Sporting News.

In fact, The Sporting News has Stafford barely squeezing into the top half of its NFL quarterback rankings, unveiled Monday, placing him at No. 13.

The rankings, Bill Bender writes, takes into account last year’s performances, career statistics, win-loss records, playoff victories and “head-to-head arguments.” Each quarterback was ranked on a “Flacco scale,” named for Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco (who ranks 20th, by the way), who the publication says is the “flashpoint” for “elite” debates. Four or more “Flaccos” earn discussion for elite status, according to The Sporting News.

Stafford checks in with 31/2, though he has a 5,000-yard season under his belt, and three playoff appearances. He’s also in line for a hefty paycheck, as the Lions in April said they were in the “early stages” of a long-term extension with the former No. 1 overall pick in 2009 draft.

“Stafford has passed for 4,000 yards or more in each of the last six seasons,” Bender writes, “and he’s taken the Lions to the playoffs three times in that stretch despite any semblance of a consistent running game. He’s yet another former No. 1 pick looking for that first postseason victory.

“Only one other quarterback ranked higher on this list has a losing record as a starter.”

Among the quarterbacks ahead of Stafford are Raiders quarterback Derek Carr (No. 10) and second-year Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott (12).

Former Michigan quarterback Tom Brady tops The Sporting News’ rankings after earning his fifth Super Bowl victory with the New England Patriots. Former Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins checks in at No. 19 with Washington, while another former MSU quarterback, Brian Hoyer, is No. 26 with the San Francisco 49ers. Former Lions quarterback/receiver Josh McCown brings up the rear at No. 32 with the New York Jets.

BTW - here is who they had ahead of him
12. Dak Prescott, Cowboys
11. Philip Rivers, L.A. Chargers
10. Derek Carr, Raiders
9. Eli Manning, Giants
8. Andrew Luck, Colts
7. Cam Newton, Panthers
6. Drew Brees, Saints
5. Russell Wilson, Seahawks
4. Matt Ryan, Falcons
3. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers
2. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
1. Tom Brady, Patriots

June 6th, 2017, 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

I just asked this question to my dad(Bears fan) cousin(Bears fan) and brother in law(Falcons fan) they all had him ranked as the 8th best QB in the league. The NFL players list had him 9th so I think he is justified as a top 10 QB.

His WRs routinely drop catchable passes and he also scores quite a few rushing TDs which is underlooked. He's got a bunch of prime time games vs prime time teams this year so he has a chance to really threaten elite status. he's really only missing playoff success. If he were to win the super bowl this year and retire immediately after, I think he'd receive some HOF consideration based on his numbers and records.

July 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm
William Clay Ford Sr.

Pablo wrote:
Quote:

I don't disagree - in fact there is a group of about 10 guys from 3-13 that are fairly close. They consist of some very good QBs like Big Ben/Brees/Rivers on the slide, new up-and-coming QBs with potential like Prescot/Carr and prime age QBs like Stafford/Luck/Newton who have an opportunity to pull away from the pack.

Quote:
Sporting News: Lions’ Stafford 13th-best NFL QB

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford could in the near future become the NFL’s richest player.

But, the NFL’s best quarterback? Not even close, according to The Sporting News.

In fact, The Sporting News has Stafford barely squeezing into the top half of its NFL quarterback rankings, unveiled Monday, placing him at No. 13.

The rankings, Bill Bender writes, takes into account last year’s performances, career statistics, win-loss records, playoff victories and “head-to-head arguments.” Each quarterback was ranked on a “Flacco scale,” named for Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco (who ranks 20th, by the way), who the publication says is the “flashpoint” for “elite” debates. Four or more “Flaccos” earn discussion for elite status, according to The Sporting News.

Stafford checks in with 31/2, though he has a 5,000-yard season under his belt, and three playoff appearances. He’s also in line for a hefty paycheck, as the Lions in April said they were in the “early stages” of a long-term extension with the former No. 1 overall pick in 2009 draft.

“Stafford has passed for 4,000 yards or more in each of the last six seasons,” Bender writes, “and he’s taken the Lions to the playoffs three times in that stretch despite any semblance of a consistent running game. He’s yet another former No. 1 pick looking for that first postseason victory.

“Only one other quarterback ranked higher on this list has a losing record as a starter.”

Among the quarterbacks ahead of Stafford are Raiders quarterback Derek Carr (No. 10) and second-year Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott (12).

Former Michigan quarterback Tom Brady tops The Sporting News’ rankings after earning his fifth Super Bowl victory with the New England Patriots. Former Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins checks in at No. 19 with Washington, while another former MSU quarterback, Brian Hoyer, is No. 26 with the San Francisco 49ers. Former Lions quarterback/receiver Josh McCown brings up the rear at No. 32 with the New York Jets.

BTW - here is who they had ahead of him
12. Dak Prescott, Cowboys
11. Philip Rivers, L.A. Chargers
10. Derek Carr, Raiders
9. Eli Manning, Giants
8. Andrew Luck, Colts
7. Cam Newton, Panthers
6. Drew Brees, Saints
5. Russell Wilson, Seahawks
4. Matt Ryan, Falcons
3. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers
2. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
1. Tom Brady, Patriots

It is ridiculous that Prescott is even on the list. How about he get past his Sophomore slump season at least !!!

July 15th, 2017, 1:52 pm
Junior Varsity

The amount of credit dak gets is ridiculous. Hes clearly nit bad, but the players ranking him higher than elliot was just shocking to me. He had a good seasin but i dont think it was transcendent for a rookie.

July 17th, 2017, 11:21 am
Rookie Player of the Year

millam21 wrote:
The amount of credit dak gets is ridiculous. Hes clearly nit bad, but the players ranking him higher than elliot was just shocking to me. He had a good seasin but i dont think it was transcendent for a rookie.

Dak was given the keys to a Ferrari and didn't screw up but he make really good decisions with the ball. If Stafford was on that team, I think they'd have about the same success but I just could never see Stafford only throwing 4 INTs through an entire season. That's true for about 9/10 QBs in the league though.

July 17th, 2017, 7:13 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

millam21 wrote:

honestly i think he s pretty good, similar to russel wilson though i dont think he s quite at that level. you are right though, the cowboys provide him tremendous protection and have a dominating run game. dez bryant and jason witten arent hard players to complete passes to with 8 in the box consistently. i think a lot of players would thrive in that environment. why the lions dont believe in running the ball in the stafford era is beyond me.

July 17th, 2017, 8:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2