View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently January 20th, 2018, 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Redfern 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Redfern
Could Redfern be good enough to trade Martin to a team that is desperate for a good punter?

August 13th, 2017, 8:02 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

Post Re: Redfern
he was pretty darned good...lets see if he can keep it up. not sure how much you can get for a punter anyway though but something

August 13th, 2017, 9:48 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

I was just wondering because we are going to have to pay Martin soon. Unless, we trade him. We might be able to get a 4th rounder for him if a team has a big enough need for a punter.

Ordinarily, I would say a 5th. But, Martin had one of biggest net yardage averages ever last season. That should be worth an extra round higher for a proven punter. Especially, if a couple teams have garbage and get into a bidding war.

August 14th, 2017, 12:36 am
Team President - Rod Wood

isnt sam i am signed until 2020

August 14th, 2017, 9:07 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Don't know. But, he is more expensive than Redfern, and we suddenly, need a DE.

August 15th, 2017, 11:24 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Not only is it incredibly short sighted to drop a proven top player at his position for a camp body with a good showing in a pre season game, but Martin just signed a new 4 year deal. His dead money would be more than his cap hit right now. They have an out on his contract next year with just a $1.5M hit in dead money, so you can throw his talent away next off season.

I'm a fan of Hyder, but this is a huge over reaction. He wasn't a good starter and to me looked like another George Johnson or Devin Taylor, just good coming of the bench for 1 year. Copeland wasn't anything at all outside of potential and at this point in his career that is disappearing.

August 15th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Towel Boy

I agree that droping a good player with great experience for a 'possibly' good player is simply not smart. But i guess we'll see what they think about Hyder and his potential.

August 15th, 2017, 12:31 pm
RIP Killer

Martin is the best player we have relative to his NFL peers at the same position. If Redfern was smart - he would have picked a team in which he had a legit chance to catch on as the punter. The Lions won't have much if any leverage with a FA punter and 31 other teams in the league know that.

August 15th, 2017, 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:
Martin is the best player we have relative to his NFL peers at the same position. If Redfern was smart - he would have picked a team in which he had a legit chance to catch on as the punter. The Lions won't have much if any leverage with a FA punter and 31 other teams in the league know that.

He may not have had any serious offers. With the Lions Redfern gets a chance to showcase his ability full time until Martin is healthy, no sharing time. This is about as good as it gets for putting yourself out there on film, when you can't get an offer from a team with an open punter spot.

August 15th, 2017, 4:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]