View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 19th, 2018, 7:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Thanksgiving 2017 roster review 
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Thanksgiving 2017 roster review
QB - Stafford

Has been a mixed bag in terms of consistency sometimes even in the same game. However in some stretches he has played some of the best football of his career - shredding Green Bay and Pittsburgh s defense and looking very sharp when protected and given time to throw. He s been at his worst right before the bye week against New Orleans when he was nursing several bumps and bruises and when the protection was really faltering. The biggest positive - he has without question looked like a guy that can carry a team on his back, so long as his team can keep him upright.

B+
(Rudock, Kaaya - INC)

RB - Abdullah/Riddick/Washington/Zenner/Green

IMO Riddick is there best player in this group even as an every down runner. He s a good blocker in pass protection, an outstanding receiver and while not a tough inside runner his craftiness with spins, low dives and fighting for extra yardage make him a much more effective runner than Abdullah. Abdullah has become a little more reliable in the receiving game but it has come at the expense of snaps for Riddick which to me is an overall negative move for the Lions. Abdullah leaves yards on the field, generally doesnt fall forward and while he can occassionally make some really nifty runs he mostly has a hard time creating for himself. While he may be easily the teams most dangerous back he is being overutilized in situations that do not optimize his skill set. He is far below average as an every down lead runner but probably could be someones 3rd down or change of pace back. Washington is a fast quick twitch player that was a former receiver who happens to have size and the Lions have maybe out of necessity forced him into a role as a power back. I think he has physical talent that could be utilized into more of an every down back if they could work on him with his vision and on setting up his blocks but the short yardage role where he just steams forward into the called gap with his head down is not helping him develop. Zenner IMO is a better all around player than Abdullah particularly with vision, blocking and power but he isnt a NO 1 back by any means either and the Lions have also forced him into a power back role this season as well which he s also poorly suited for. Green from what we saw in the preseason could be an outstanding special teams player and is probably the teams best power runner. Its surprising they ve kept him on the roster inactive but not given him any opportunities given how poorly the rest of the backs have been in there respective roles - particularly Washington and Zenner.

Offseason should consist of finding a new home for Abdullah, and bringing in probably 2 players bw the draft and/or FA that fit more of an every down role as Riddick and Zenner can be ur 3rd down and depth options.

D-

TE - Ebron, Fells, Roberts

Ebron had a really rough start to the year with drops and nagging small injuries that overshadowed some significant improvements in his blocking prowess. He has however looked much better since the 2nd half of the Sunday night game and has again flashed some of the potential that NFL GMs must see in him using his size, speed and athleticism to get open and beat 1 on 1 coverage. He has a big final stretch run awaiting him and a strong finish just might be enough for the Lions to actually pay him his 5th year option rather than cut him and send him to FA. Stafford certainly seems to be regaining confidence in him. While Ebron has been a roller coaster, Fells has provided solid play at the position but is nowhere near the dominant blocker he was advertised as being. Roberts has gotten on the field and mostly looked lost but looked like a guy who belongs in the NFL physically and could become a solid all around TE but probably needs veterans on the roster ahead of him for at least another year.

WR - Tate/Jones/Jones/Golladay/Billingsley

Tate continues to be a high level performer turning safe short passes into first downs or more and has not showed much of his underlying primadonna behavior that we occassionally have seen in past years. Marvin Jones has had some big games and has improved all around particulary against press coverage. He s had his share of big plays but also a couple plays left on the field that maybe are the difference between him being anything more than a slightly above average No 2 WR. TJ Jones has been extremely efficient and I would even say clutch with his opportunities making tough catches usually while taking a beating or toeing a sideline. He s been a bigger impact player than his stats would indicate, getting to open areas but showing exceptional hands and body control to secure receptions. Golladay is mostly a one trick pony at this point on deep throws but probably could be a red zone threat also but its the greatest trick in the book and the kid is just oozing with potential. Very curious and excited about the future with this guy. Billingsley has played sparingly after starting out on the PS, he may be a Golden Tate lite from what we ve seen in preseason but has mostly been playing on special teams since supplanting Abrederis as the 5th WR. As a group drops have at times been a major issue as has an inability to get separation. Id expect them to keep the unit largely intact going forward - re-signing Tate, giving TJ Jones a moderate deal and allowing Golladay to develop while bringing in cheap depth on the back end.

B-

OL - Decker/GRobinson/Mihalik/Glasgow/Swanson/Lang/Wagner

Decker s injury has thrown the group for a major loop - fortunately he s back but not playing very well yet. Big test for him tomorrow against the Vikings. Glasgow has improved tremendously from his rookie year and is now a solid starter while Swanson has had a mostly down year that puts his future with the Lions in question in a down year. TJ Lang and Wagner have been solid on the right side but have had there own share of untimely breakdowns and penalties. While they replaced two of the better players on the Lions line they have been worthwhile upgrades that fit the team better than there predecessors. As Decker rounds into form this stands to be the one unit on the team that stands to improve tremendously down the stretch. Don Barclay and Mihalik might end up being sneaky good midseason pick ups. Run blocking has been mostly miss with a few hits and pass blocking has been good at times but overall way too many pressures and hits on the QB.

D-

DT - Robinson/Ngata/Spence/Ledbetter
Robinson seems to be making nice progress and with time and health will be a well above average player but maybe not quite a dominant pass rusher. Losing Haloti Ngata was a major blow bc Spence now has to play more than he should be asked to and is inconsistent with his technique and timing. He s made some good plays but ultimately isnt stout enough vs the run and struggles to keep his ground. He has some aptitude simply penetrating into the backfield but is taking himself out of a lot of plays also with overpenetration and failure to recognize what the offense is trying to do. Jeremiah Ledbetter has been surprisingly consistent as a late round rookie who s body likely needs a year or two to be fine tuned to 43 DT prototype. His athleticism and natrual instincts have served him well. I wouldnt be shocked to see him starting over Spence in time. As a group they ve been holding up better than expected but seem to be hanging on by a thread. Depth will be a major issue after Khyri Thornton finally got cut after a terrible preseason showing, a suspension and then not appearing ready in his return from suspension. Lions have some needs here. Probably need a new starter nest to Robinson with Ngata likely to retire and another depth DT to replace Spence and play ahead of Ledbetter in the rotation next year.

C

DE - Ansah/Zettel/Washington/Valoaga

Zettel has been pretty much a revelation with a very strong start and has continued to play with a high motor and vastly improved strength. I dont know how much weight he gained in the offseason but he s far more stout vs the run and more explosive around the edge as well. He gets fooled too much on naked boots and misdirections but its surprising how much better he s gotten after showing nothing more than a motor and availability his rookie year. Ansah hasnt returned to form as a dominant end with his pass rush game diminishing but still about the same playing the run and keeping contain. Not sure if he s healthy bc he seems to have lost a lot of his explosiveness. Curious contract situation here. Lions probably have to sign him given lack of depth. Washington was randomly benched but he s a strong edge run defender but a good enough athlete who can get a coverage sack or two. Valoaga appears to be nothing special in my opinion and Im not sure why they decided to keep over Barrett and even O Connor - major advantage seems to be height. Lack of passrush and too easily being beaten on the edge with hook blocks and misdirections runs are a major indicator that this is the top position on the team that needs a talent infusion. If you can pay Ansah a modest deal rather than franchise tag type of deal he probably wants and draft a premium passrusher that might be enough to settle the position. If Kerry Hyder makes it back that would be an added luxury.

D

LB - Davis/Whitehead/Bellore/Worrilow/Maybin/Longa

Whitehead had a really strong start to the year but as depth on the DL in front of them has deteriorated the unit has gotten worse and worse. Opposing O-Coordinators have realized that the Lions early season success vs the run was a result of overcompensating the scheme to make up for the lack of talent in the front 7 and now the unit is being abused with misdirection run, delayed pitches, shovel passes and play action passing. Whitehead has been there best player while Davis is easily the most disappointing. Bellore has been playing a little over his head and Worrilow looked bad early but has improved the last couple of games. Maybin is an instinctive player who might need to play in subpackages and either add weight or improve in coverage to be anything more. Longa appears to be very athletic and is contributing as a special teamer and is young enough where maybe there s a chance they can find a bigger role for him on defense.

D

CB - Slay/Lawson/Hayden/Diggs/Tabor/Agnew

Slay is a true shutdown corner. Probably the best that I can remember in the last 25-30 years in a Lions uniform. Lawson and Hayden are holding up, coming up with big TDs in bw some lapses. I dont think either is a long term answer but Lawson has hung in there as a starter longer than expected. Diggs IMO is one of the best slot corners in the league and is one of the Lions better run defenders making up for an awful LB performance to date. Diggs did get toasted by Juju SS for the big 90+ yarder so there are some chinks in the armor. Tabor is starting to see the field the last couple weeks particularly in the red zone. Agnew has been a stud returnman and pitching in on offense but may have cost the team the chance at one of the greatest comebacks of all time with a butchered punt return.

A

S - Quinn/Wilson/Killebrew/Washington/Carey

Quinn has been as good as it gets at free safety. Big hits, INTs, tough run support. Wilson is another player in the secondary that is tough against the run and making up for a subpar front 7. Killebrew has had some big coverage lapses that overshadow some solid progress from his promising rookie year. Washington was probably one of the last players to make the roster but is likely part of the teams future plans the way he can chip in on defense as an all around depth safety and special teamer. Carey is a ST stud

A

Offseason projection - Its pretty obvious - the Lions need a runner and defensive lineman. They are married to Davis at MLB for at least another year but they could stand to add some help on the interior OL and LB depth also.

November 22nd, 2017, 11:17 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Thanksgiving 2017 roster review
Riddick's low usage this season has to be a result of his wrist injuries from last season. IMO the Lions are trying to limit Riddick's blocking while also giving AA everything to prove he can be the guy they thought they drafted.

November 23rd, 2017, 12:12 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

you could be right about the wrist injuries but when he s had to block he s looked better than the other backs. abdullah IMO has unequivocally proven he s not a No 1 runner

November 24th, 2017, 12:23 am
Martha Firestone Ford

The Legend wrote:
you could be right about the wrist injuries but when he s had to block he s looked better than the other backs. abdullah IMO has unequivocally proven he s not a No 1 runner

I told you guys Abdullah stinks last draft. I told you guys we needed a RB in the 1st round. Several of you guys told me I was wrong. Abdullah was running great until his freak injury. Well, good RB’s get 100 yards rushing consistently. Even with a poor Oline.

November 24th, 2017, 1:32 am

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I told you guys Abdullah stinks last draft. I told you guys we needed a RB in the 1st round. Several of you guys told me I was wrong. Abdullah was running great until his freak injury. Well, good RB’s get 100 yards rushing consistently. Even with a poor Oline.

That's funny, I guess Hunt is a bad RB. He hasn't had a 100 yard game in the last 5. Great RBs get 100 yard games with bad lines, good players still need help. Abdullah also doesn't stink, he's just not a number 1. If the Lions didn't already have Riddick, Abdullah would be a good 3rd down back.

November 24th, 2017, 10:04 am
NFL Team Captain

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

That's funny, I guess Hunt is a bad RB. He hasn't had a 100 yard game in the last 5. Great RBs get 100 yard games with bad lines, good players still need help. Abdullah also doesn't stink, he's just not a number 1. If the Lions didn't already have Riddick, Abdullah would be a good 3rd down back.

Abdullah can't hang on to the ball. Turn over waiting to happen. Lions need to move on from him.

November 24th, 2017, 10:47 am

liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Abdullah can't hang on to the ball. Turn over waiting to happen. Lions need to move on from him.

I don't disagree, Abdullah got his shot to show something this year and he wasn't good enough. His only useful spot on offense is locked with Riddick, so I'm not for keeping him after this year. I'm still glad he got his chance to get a full look as the featured back.

November 24th, 2017, 12:01 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

not me...i was of the standpoint that he wasnt good enough before the injury and that he had no chance after the injury - that the lions definitely needed a true No 1 bellcow back and that they should look at it as anything they get out of abdullah would be a bonus.

for the 2nd offseason in a row quinn ignored making a serious upgrade to the teams 2 biggest weaknesses - a bw the tackles runner and passrushers - and again its holding them back. i dont understand comments like "glad we gave abdullah a chance to be the no 1 runner" - how could a fan be glad the front office wasted another year when we have a premium QB in his prime? mayhew took a lot of heat for drafting some "busts" but 2 years later the teams best players are mayhew draft picks and/or signees. quinn has done some nice things but he s leaving gaping talent holes on the starting/rotational roster in a way that mayhew rarely if ever did and he (Quinn) is the top reason the team doesnt have enough to win the division yet again.

November 24th, 2017, 1:16 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Hunt has simply hit the rookie wall.

November 24th, 2017, 5:54 pm

The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

not me...i was of the standpoint that he wasnt good enough before the injury and that he had no chance after the injury - that the lions definitely needed a true No 1 bellcow back and that they should look at it as anything they get out of abdullah would be a bonus.

for the 2nd offseason in a row quinn ignored making a serious upgrade to the teams 2 biggest weaknesses - a bw the tackles runner and passrushers - and again its holding them back. i dont understand comments like "glad we gave abdullah a chance to be the no 1 runner" - how could a fan be glad the front office wasted another year when we have a premium QB in his prime? mayhew took a lot of heat for drafting some "busts" but 2 years later the teams best players are mayhew draft picks and/or signees. quinn has done some nice things but he s leaving gaping talent holes on the starting/rotational roster in a way that mayhew rarely if ever did and he (Quinn) is the top reason the team doesnt have enough to win the division yet again.

The Lions aren't going to become a dynasty with Stafford. If they make a Superbowl its going to be a one and done or maybe if the stars align they can hit two. I had no expectation for the Lions to do anything better than get to the playoffs, so I wanted to see what Abdullah could do while building out the rest the roster. I would have been happy if the Lions drafted a RB too, but I never saw one I wanted when their pick came up. This next year will be the year I want to see a fully built roster from top to bottom. 2 full draft classes and a new class of rookies with FAs this year should fill every hole with a starter level player with good depth.

November 24th, 2017, 7:02 pm
NFL Team Captain

The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Quinn's only had two years, and throwing him under the bus in favor of Mayhew makes no sense to me whatsoever. MM had 6 years to build our roster and repeatedly botched the draft to leave our roster bare thin of quality depth. It will take several more drafts to repair the harm he has caused, and to me the top reason the team doesn't win is Jim Caldwell.

November 24th, 2017, 10:06 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

The Lions aren't going to become a dynasty with Stafford. If they make a Superbowl its going to be a one and done or maybe if the stars align they can hit two. I had no expectation for the Lions to do anything better than get to the playoffs, so I wanted to see what Abdullah could do while building out the rest the roster. I would have been happy if the Lions drafted a RB too, but I never saw one I wanted when their pick came up. This next year will be the year I want to see a fully built roster from top to bottom. 2 full draft classes and a new class of rookies with FAs this year should fill every hole with a starter level player with good depth.

well thats exactly the point, thats why they need to try every year to have a complete roster bc every now and then rodgers is hurt and the bears are terrible and oh wait minnesota s top 2 qbs are down and its a prime chance to win the division and get a home playoff game - d'oh!!!!! that was this year

November 24th, 2017, 10:15 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Quinn's only had two years, and throwing him under the bus in favor of Mayhew makes no sense to me whatsoever. MM had 6 years to build our roster and repeatedly botched the draft to leave our roster bare thin of quality depth. It will take several more drafts to repair the harm he has caused, and to me the top reason the team doesn't win is Jim Caldwell.

i dont see how that is throwing under the bus its pretty simple the lions best players are Mayhew players and quinn has mostly sat on his hands and basically told caldwell "good luck, im trying to save money for 3-4 years from now." quinn hasnt even attempted to assemble a competitive roster yet and there s not much debate about that - rao agrees with me and he s in the quinn fan club just like you. quinn is preparing for something down the line while the team was "this" close to having enough to win the division if quinn did more for immediate gains.

Last edited by The Legend on November 24th, 2017, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 24th, 2017, 10:22 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

in all likelihood the lions will come back with the same leadership next year. i dont see Cooter getting the Volunteers job and I dont see Austin getting a top gig either. caldwell's extension was "multiyear" so likely he s back as well unless they lose it. like him or not stafford is going to be the Lions QB barring major injury for at least the next 3 years probably longer and he s gotten to the point where Caldwell/Cooter are letting him run the show at the LOS with ability to change pretty much whatever he sees fit. i dont think quinn is going to want to press the reset button on that development with stafford and it will be very tricky to maintain that continuity while changing the headcoach. the big question in my mind is whether or not quinn will show the true commitment to caldwell by going out and filling out the roster - and i dont mean with bonus 6th and 7th round picks.

November 24th, 2017, 10:35 pm

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

well thats exactly the point, thats why they need to try every year to have a complete roster bc every now and then rodgers is hurt and the bears are terrible and oh wait minnesota s top 2 qbs are down and its a prime chance to win the division and get a home playoff game - d'oh!!!!! that was this year

Winning the division this year means nothing if the only reason they are winning is because all the other teams lost their best players. If the Lions can't win the division against Rodgers, they aren't going to do anything in the playoffs either. There is no way of knowing what Quinn's actual approach is unless I missed an interview of him explaining it, but I'm hoping he's building up to go all in for year 3 or 4 with an actual complete roster.

November 24th, 2017, 11:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next