View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 11th, 2018, 9:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Thanksgiving 2017 roster review 
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Re: Thanksgiving 2017 roster review
you can infer it based on his moves - its hard to believe that a GM that does next to nothing to help with a teams ability to rush the passer is trying to help his team win now.

November 25th, 2017, 10:31 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

QB - Stafford (Mayhew) Rudock, Kaaya (Quinn)
RB - Abdullah/Riddick/Zenner (Mayhew) Green/Washington (Quinn)
TE - Ebron (Mayhew) Fells/Roberts (Quinn)
OT - Decker/Wagner/Mihalik (Quinn)/ Robinson (Mayhew)
OG - Glasgow/Lang/Dahl (Quinn)
C - Swanson (Mayhew)
WR - Tate/TJ Jones (Mayhew) M. Jones/Golladay (Quinn)

P- Martin(Mayhew)
K- Prater(Mayhew)
LS- Muhlbach(Millen)
KR/PR - Agnew (Quinn)

DE - Ansah (Mayhew) Zettel/Washington (Quinn)
DT - Ngata (Mayhew) Robinson/Ledbetter/Spence (Quinn)
MLB - Davis (Quinn)
OLB - Whitehead (Mayhew) Maybin/Worrilow/Bellore/Longa (Quinn)
CB - Slay/Lawson/Diggs (Mayhew) Hayden/Tabor/Agnew (Quinn)
S - Quinn/Carey (Mayhew) Wilson/Washington/Killebrew (Quinn)

Coaching staff - Mayhew

Last edited by The Legend on November 26th, 2017, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 25th, 2017, 11:28 am
Mr. Irrelevant

rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
you could be right about the wrist injuries but when he s had to block he s looked better than the other backs. abdullah IMO has unequivocally proven he s not a No 1 runner

I told you guys Abdullah stinks last draft. I told you guys we needed a RB in the 1st round. Several of you guys told me I was wrong. Abdullah was running great until his freak injury. Well, good RB’s get 100 yards rushing consistently. Even with a poor Oline.

That's funny, I guess Hunt is a bad RB. He hasn't had a 100 yard game in the last 5. Great RBs get 100 yard games with bad lines, good players still need help. Abdullah also doesn't stink, he's just not a number 1. If the Lions didn't already have Riddick, Abdullah would be a good 3rd down back.

Abdullah can't hang on to the ball. Turn over waiting to happen. Lions need to move on from him.

I don't disagree, Abdullah got his shot to show something this year and he wasn't good enough. His only useful spot on offense is locked with Riddick, so I'm not for keeping him after this year. I'm still glad he got his chance to get a full look as the featured back.

I'm not glad at all. This was obvious all the time, and they wasted the entire year with an existing problem they tired to solve with hope. Incredibly stupid decision, with all that was staring them all in the face.

November 25th, 2017, 9:40 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

The Legend wrote:
QB - Stafford (Mayhew) Rudock, Kaaya (Quinn)
RB - Abdullah/Riddick/Zenner (Mayhew) Green/Washington (Quinn)
TE - Ebron (Mayhew) Fells/Roberts (Quinn)
OT - Decker/Wagner/Mihalik (Quinn)/ Robinson (Mayhew)
OG - Glasgow/Lang/Dahl (Quinn)
C - Swanson (Quinn)
WR - Tate/TJ Jones (Mayhew) M. Jones/Golladay (Quinn)

P- Martin(Mayhew)
K- Prater(Mayhew)
LS- Muhlbach(Millen)
KR/PR - Agnew (Quinn)

DE - Ansah (Mayhew) Zettel/Washington (Quinn)
DT - Ngata (Mayhew) Robinson/Ledbetter/Spence (Quinn)
MLB - Davis (Quinn)
OLB - Whitehead (Mayhew) Maybin/Worrilow/Bellore/Longa (Quinn)
CB - Slay/Lawson/Diggs (Mayhew) Hayden/Tabor/Agnew (Quinn)
S - Quinn/Carey (Mayhew) Wilson/Washington/Killebrew (Quinn)

Coaching staff - Mayhew

Swanson was drafted by Mayhew as well.

November 25th, 2017, 9:41 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
you could be right about the wrist injuries but when he s had to block he s looked better than the other backs. abdullah IMO has unequivocally proven he s not a No 1 runner

I told you guys Abdullah stinks last draft. I told you guys we needed a RB in the 1st round. Several of you guys told me I was wrong. Abdullah was running great until his freak injury. Well, good RB’s get 100 yards rushing consistently. Even with a poor Oline.

not me...i was of the standpoint that he wasnt good enough before the injury and that he had no chance after the injury - that the lions definitely needed a true No 1 bellcow back and that they should look at it as anything they get out of abdullah would be a bonus.

for the 2nd offseason in a row quinn ignored making a serious upgrade to the teams 2 biggest weaknesses - a bw the tackles runner and passrushers - and again its holding them back. i dont understand comments like "glad we gave abdullah a chance to be the no 1 runner" - how could a fan be glad the front office wasted another year when we have a premium QB in his prime? mayhew took a lot of heat for drafting some "busts" but 2 years later the teams best players are mayhew draft picks and/or signees. quinn has done some nice things but he s leaving gaping talent holes on the starting/rotational roster in a way that mayhew rarely if ever did and he (Quinn) is the top reason the team doesnt have enough to win the division yet again.

this.. precisely.

November 25th, 2017, 9:43 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Lions cut Valoaga, it never made sense that they kept him over the quicker better passrusher Barrett or the more stout defender O Connor in the first place. Valoago lacked power and was slow. Edebali and Freeney seem to have taken his spot. Ill be interested to see if they keep Valoago on the practice squad. His height is probably the most intriguing aspect of his game, he looks to have to narrow of a frame to add a lot of weight/strength and he doesnt seem to have much speed so adding weight could sink him further. Im guessing they are done with him.

what i dont understand though, is why would they cut him now? as a team they are pretty much out of the playoff picture. at best they get a tough road date and are one and done. so why did they keep this guy who was not ready and overwhelmed pretty much all season out there on the field taking up a spot at a position of weakness. Presumably it would be for developmental reasons, but if you re developing him - doesnt he deserve an offseason? wouldnt you be more likely to keep him when ur season is over rather than early when you still have a chance? Signing an end of his career player in Freeney and cutting a developmental player at this stage seems nonsensical...

November 26th, 2017, 8:10 am
Rookie Player of the Year

The Legend wrote:
Lions cut Valoaga, it never made sense that they kept him over the quicker better passrusher Barrett or the more stout defender O Connor in the first place. Valoago lacked power and was slow. Edebali and Freeney seem to have taken his spot. Ill be interested to see if they keep Valoago on the practice squad. His height is probably the most intriguing aspect of his game, he looks to have to narrow of a frame to add a lot of weight/strength and he doesnt seem to have much speed so adding weight could sink him further. Im guessing they are done with him.

what i dont understand though, is why would they cut him now? as a team they are pretty much out of the playoff picture. at best they get a tough road date and are one and done. so why did they keep this guy who was not ready and overwhelmed pretty much all season out there on the field taking up a spot at a position of weakness. Presumably it would be for developmental reasons, but if you re developing him - doesnt he deserve an offseason? wouldnt you be more likely to keep him when ur season is over rather than early when you still have a chance? Signing an end of his career player in Freeney and cutting a developmental player at this stage seems nonsensical...

They signed Freeney before the Vikings game, so they did that with the division still winnable. It's likely they kept Valoaga because Austin likes long DEs and because other teams may have been ready to steal him just because of his size. We don't know how many UDFA offers he got before he chose the Lions and that could have also played a factor in why they kept him on the 53. As for releasing him now, it could be that they feel he didn't progress enough with real game experience. One thing to note about keeping Freeney even with the playoffs likley out of reach is he could be a good teacher to the young guys both on the 53 and PS for the rest of the year.

November 26th, 2017, 12:40 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

The big V will probably be on the practice squad later this week.

November 26th, 2017, 8:50 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Tavon Wilson to IR. Nice player handpicked by Quinn and started on a pretty cheap deal with solid performance. Killebrew has had a so so 2nd year but he s the next man up with a shot to seal that SS role heading into next season.

November 27th, 2017, 7:52 pm

The Legend wrote:
Tavon Wilson to IR. Nice player handpicked by Quinn and started on a pretty cheap deal with solid performance. Killebrew has had a so so 2nd year but he s the next man up with a shot to seal that SS role heading into next season.

Killebrew should be able to fill the in the box safety role Wilson was playing pretty well and we could see Washington see some more time too. Washington has showed some good play.

November 27th, 2017, 8:32 pm
League MVP

In looking over the roster I count 12 needed players for next season.

RB: Abdullah should be done here. We need a starter.

WR: We need another contributor here. Golladay has a bright future I hope and Jones and Tate are fine. Doesn't have to be a lot of resources used here but someone who we can count on to make a catch.

Offensive line: I don't think we'll resign Swanson which means we need a starter either at LG or C. We also need more depth and potentially a replacement RG. Lang hasn't looked great. I think we need at least 2 guys here maybe 3.

December 4th, 2017, 9:38 am
League MVP

Defensive line: what a mess. Ziggy looks done here. We don't have much outside Robinson and maybe Zettle. A stud pass rusher at end is a must and a lane clogging run stuffer at DT. That's 2 starters and some depth. Can't count on Hyder to put up big numbers again when he comes back but he should at least play a role.
Linebacker: Davis has been ok and should grow into the role. Outside of that we don't have much. Whitehead is a free agent and likely gone and Maybin has been unimpressive. 2 starters needed here as well.
Corner: Lawson isn't great but we should bring him back if his demands aren't sky high. This unit has been ok. Maybe Tabor will show us something. Need someone here if Hayden and or Lawson leave.

December 4th, 2017, 9:40 am
League MVP

Safety: need to start looking to the future here. Wilson may be done and Quin isn't getting younger. These next few games will show if Killa can hold down the SS spot. But a stud safety will be needed sometime in the next 1 to 3 years.

Sorry for 3 posts. It was so long it wasn't showing me the submit button on screen.

December 4th, 2017, 9:41 am

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
In looking over the roster I count 12 needed players for next season.

RB: Abdullah should be done here. We need a starter.

WR: We need another contributor here. Golladay has a bright future I hope and Jones and Tate are fine. Doesn't have to be a lot of resources used here but someone who we can count on to make a catch.

Offensive line: I don't think we'll resign Swanson which means we need a starter either at LG or C. We also need more depth and potentially a replacement RG. Lang hasn't looked great. I think we need at least 2 guys here maybe 3.
Defensive line: what a mess. Ziggy looks done here. We don't have much outside Robinson and maybe Zettle. A stud pass rusher at end is a must and a lane clogging run stuffer at DT. That's 2 starters and some depth. Can't count on Hyder to put up big numbers again when he comes back but he should at least play a role.
Linebacker: Davis has been ok and should grow into the role. Outside of that we don't have much. Whitehead is a free agent and likely gone and Maybin has been unimpressive. 2 starters needed here as well.
Corner: Lawson isn't great but we should bring him back if his demands aren't sky high. This unit has been ok. Maybe Tabor will show us something. Need someone here if Hayden and or Lawson leave.
Safety: need to start looking to the future here. Wilson may be done and Quin isn't getting younger. These next few games will show if Killa can hold down the SS spot. But a stud safety will be needed sometime in the next 1 to 3 years.

Sorry for 3 posts. It was so long it wasn't showing me the submit button on screen.

RB: They may as well keep Abdullah as insurance for Riddick since AA is still on a rookie deal. They can add a starter through the draft or FA. Let ZZ, Green, and Washington fight for the last spot or maybe just sign a full back again.
WR: This group is perfectly fine as is with Jones jr, Tate, Golladay, and TJ Jones. Try out some UDFAs or 2nd-3rd year FAs to fight with the PS guys for a 5th.
OL: Lang isn't going anywhere and Dahl/Robinson are probably locked in as the depth guys. It wouldn't surprise me if the line just comes back identical because Swanson shouldn't be expensive to re-sign and all the resources they have already spent on the oline.
DL: IMO your being conservative saying 2-3 guys, they need 4 new guys minimum.There is no doubt that they need 2 big adds here and some more decent FA depth. They need to spend big here on a big time FA, get 2 guys in the first 4 rounds of the draft, and add at least another mid level FA. The DT rotation isn't bad with Spence and Ledbetter as long as they aren't starting.
LB:I think they should get Whitehead re-signed for 3.5M-4M/yr and stick with Whitehead, Davis, and JRM. They'll need to replace Worrilow with a new 3M/yr guy or mid rounder that can push the other guys for starting time. These LBs can be good with a solid front requiring attention and making the QB uncomfortable.
DB: I'd put these 2 groups together because I think what they should do for the future at safety is just move Tabor over now to work with Quin. Tabor's negative is speed to match NFL WRs, so just put everything in front of him. His reaction time and instincts were outstanding in college and should be a great fit for FS. Wilson was already on a cheap deal, so just re-sign him to something similar again. Safety should basically be set after that. I can't even guess what will happen at CB, contracts are all over the place at that position and always expensive like DE and QB.

I see it more as they need to add about 7-8 guys after resigning a few of their guys with about half just being mid level adds for depth/rotation.

December 4th, 2017, 3:18 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

On the bright side, we will finally be completely rid of Suh’s contract, as well as Megatron’s deal.

So, we should have quite a bit of cash to lure a few younger free agents here.

December 4th, 2017, 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next