View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 16th, 2018, 3:44 pm



Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Turkey Day Game. 
Author Message
NFL Team Captain

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1612
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Turkey Day Game.
The Legend wrote:
couple interesting things early

- Lions win the toss and take the ball but really didnt have anything special lined up on that first drive, it didnt seem they identified any weakness. weird approach against a team with a superior defense. you would think the lions would want the ball after the half with a chance to make adjustments from what they d seen in the first half...

- jarrad davis coming off the field on 3rd downs...ive ripped him as being disappointing but im not sure i agree with that move

- the vikings TEs are crushing our linebackers so far - WHitehead has had a rough showing so far

- down 14-0 it looks like stafford is going to be a sitting duck back there...



Agree with your observations. Although you won't agree, I believe it smacks of poor preparation and decision making in the biggest game so far this season. That's on Caldwell. Why do we look so lethargic? Zimmer seems to have his team focused and ready. As long as we don't generate any kind of run game, teams will continue to pound our QB. Give Tion Green a shot, what have we got to lose? Caldwell does nothing to inspire confidence in his ability to lead this team to anything above mediocrity.


November 23rd, 2017, 9:31 pm
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5043
Location: WSU
Post Re: Turkey Day Game.
liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:
couple interesting things early

- Lions win the toss and take the ball but really didnt have anything special lined up on that first drive, it didnt seem they identified any weakness. weird approach against a team with a superior defense. you would think the lions would want the ball after the half with a chance to make adjustments from what they d seen in the first half...

- jarrad davis coming off the field on 3rd downs...ive ripped him as being disappointing but im not sure i agree with that move

- the vikings TEs are crushing our linebackers so far - WHitehead has had a rough showing so far

- down 14-0 it looks like stafford is going to be a sitting duck back there...



Agree with your observations. Although you won't agree, I believe it smacks of poor preparation and decision making in the biggest game so far this season. That's on Caldwell. Why do we look so lethargic? Zimmer seems to have his team focused and ready. As long as we don't generate any kind of run game, teams will continue to pound our QB. Give Tion Green a shot, what have we got to lose? Caldwell does nothing to inspire confidence in his ability to lead this team to anything above mediocrity.


oh i definitely agree. thats at least the 2nd time this season the defense has played in the red zone with 10 players and given up a score. in this instance caldwell seemed to realize but still didnt call a timeout. game may be too quick for him. i dont understand how he didnt challenge the diggs 3rd down stretch - that was worth a challenge. a better coach also would get in the refs faces about the screw job with Fells dropped touchdown which was confirmed and then reviewed/overturned. that cant happen and should be a major grievance with the league. also slay and davis not returning the blocked PAT - obviously they arent understanding game situations. the slow starts over and over. there s a lot to criticize on this coach.


November 24th, 2017, 12:20 am
Profile
NFL Team Captain

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1612
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Turkey Day Game.
The Legend wrote:
liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:
couple interesting things early

- Lions win the toss and take the ball but really didnt have anything special lined up on that first drive, it didnt seem they identified any weakness. weird approach against a team with a superior defense. you would think the lions would want the ball after the half with a chance to make adjustments from what they d seen in the first half...

- jarrad davis coming off the field on 3rd downs...ive ripped him as being disappointing but im not sure i agree with that move

- the vikings TEs are crushing our linebackers so far - WHitehead has had a rough showing so far

- down 14-0 it looks like stafford is going to be a sitting duck back there...



Agree with your observations. Although you won't agree, I believe it smacks of poor preparation and decision making in the biggest game so far this season. That's on Caldwell. Why do we look so lethargic? Zimmer seems to have his team focused and ready. As long as we don't generate any kind of run game, teams will continue to pound our QB. Give Tion Green a shot, what have we got to lose? Caldwell does nothing to inspire confidence in his ability to lead this team to anything above mediocrity.


oh i definitely agree. thats at least the 2nd time this season the defense has played in the red zone with 10 players and given up a score. in this instance caldwell seemed to realize but still didnt call a timeout. game may be too quick for him. i dont understand how he didnt challenge the diggs 3rd down stretch - that was worth a challenge. a better coach also would get in the refs faces about the screw job with Fells dropped touchdown which was confirmed and then reviewed/overturned. that cant happen and should be a major grievance with the league. also slay and davis not returning the blocked PAT - obviously they arent understanding game situations. the slow starts over and over. there s a lot to criticize on this coach.



IMO, if the Lions don't make the playoffs, they should show him the door. Don't care that they extended him. His inability to prepare and inspire our team is inexcusable, as well as his lack of savvy on the sidelines. If Quinn can't see it he's blind.


November 24th, 2017, 11:01 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3683
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Turkey Day Game.
The only replay I was able to see was from behind the kick but I'm still not convinced Slay was offsides. You can move before the kick as long as you don't cross the line. His second step wasn't until after the ball was moving and it was that step that put him across the line. Until I see a side view I won't be convinced.


November 24th, 2017, 11:21 am
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5043
Location: WSU
Post Re: Turkey Day Game.
liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:
liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:
couple interesting things early

- Lions win the toss and take the ball but really didnt have anything special lined up on that first drive, it didnt seem they identified any weakness. weird approach against a team with a superior defense. you would think the lions would want the ball after the half with a chance to make adjustments from what they d seen in the first half...

- jarrad davis coming off the field on 3rd downs...ive ripped him as being disappointing but im not sure i agree with that move

- the vikings TEs are crushing our linebackers so far - WHitehead has had a rough showing so far

- down 14-0 it looks like stafford is going to be a sitting duck back there...



Agree with your observations. Although you won't agree, I believe it smacks of poor preparation and decision making in the biggest game so far this season. That's on Caldwell. Why do we look so lethargic? Zimmer seems to have his team focused and ready. As long as we don't generate any kind of run game, teams will continue to pound our QB. Give Tion Green a shot, what have we got to lose? Caldwell does nothing to inspire confidence in his ability to lead this team to anything above mediocrity.


oh i definitely agree. thats at least the 2nd time this season the defense has played in the red zone with 10 players and given up a score. in this instance caldwell seemed to realize but still didnt call a timeout. game may be too quick for him. i dont understand how he didnt challenge the diggs 3rd down stretch - that was worth a challenge. a better coach also would get in the refs faces about the screw job with Fells dropped touchdown which was confirmed and then reviewed/overturned. that cant happen and should be a major grievance with the league. also slay and davis not returning the blocked PAT - obviously they arent understanding game situations. the slow starts over and over. there s a lot to criticize on this coach.



IMO, if the Lions don't make the playoffs, they should show him the door. Don't care that they extended him. His inability to prepare and inspire our team is inexcusable, as well as his lack of savvy on the sidelines. If Quinn can't see it he's blind.


i think there are definitely some issues that will make it difficult for the team to take the next step forward under caldwell. he needs someone at his side on on the other end of his headset that can help make the big decisions in games for him. Kick the go ahead FG against Pittsburgh, challenge close big plays that might turn in your favor, someone who knows the rules when someone bats the ball out the back of the end zone, etc - he cant keep up with the key details of whats happening in a game.

as for inspiring the team - i think thats overwhelmingly a caldwell strength, an A+. the team does not quit, they get back into games they seemed to be dominated in early and many times win those games. they turn the page and focus on whats ahead of them the team has a calm demeanor and generally has been overachieving for their talent level. IMO the Lions' team(s) under caldwell s watch has had below average talent and has finished with records mostly average or above average. i would also say, caldwell s leadership and his coaching staff has been outstanding at developing young players, findng ways to use them as role players and slowly expand there roles the more they learn. its a great match with a GM that does not swing for the fences in his acquisitions. he tends to make safer high floor picks to patch up needs and leaves it on the coaches and competition to push that floor higher.

if it were me (i wish haha) the determining factor on what happens on coaching decision for next year will boil down to how caldwell and his staff decide to start these next few games. caldwell when he started with the lions really scaled back matthew stafford to bobby ross era charlie batch game manager and had some early success with that but then with time has now started to realize that stafford is his best player and his only chance to the point where stafford now has full reign. its time now for caldwell to translate that thought to his game strategy. time to realize that you cant afford to sit around and play not to lose. the lions start out games just trying to keep it close and waiting for the opponent to lose the game to them. surprisingly, it does happen occassionally(someone should have told rod marinelli) like earlier this year on the road against minnesota but it cannot be an every game strategy when your back is against the wall in a playoff chase. the lions need to focus on there own strengths targeted against the opponents weaknesses every play of every game and go after these Ws. They are at least equals with every team left on the schedule. even if they lose, i want to see a team that goes after the W rather than sits back and says "oh boy, looks like we re going to have to play today" after they are down 2 or 3 scores and have already wasted 3 out of the 8 or 9 possessions they are going to get in the game. if i see caldwell move past that approach, then i think i can overlook his lack of in game savvy.


November 24th, 2017, 1:57 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10041
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Turkey Day Game.
The Legend wrote:
as for inspiring the team - i think thats overwhelmingly a caldwell strength, an A+. the team does not quit, they get back into games they seemed to be dominated in early and many times win those games.


Shouldn't the coach inspire them at the start of the game as well? The first quarter was an absolute joke. The Lions continue to come out flat, I only half watched after the opening period as it looked as though the game was slipping by along with the division.

Minnesota took their foot off the pedal by getting more conservative on both sides of the ball, this let the Lions back in the game as much as anything they seemed to do.

With Rodgers out and the division up in the air the Lions blew it to the Vikings and their 3rd string QB (and backup RB). Can't we finally win at least a division title. Hell, the Tampa Bay Bucs have won the NFC North more recently than the Lions and that was in the last century and six years after the Lions last division title. That is remarkable ineptitude...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


November 24th, 2017, 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5043
Location: WSU
Post Re: Turkey Day Game.
Pablo wrote:
The Legend wrote:
as for inspiring the team - i think thats overwhelmingly a caldwell strength, an A+. the team does not quit, they get back into games they seemed to be dominated in early and many times win those games.


Shouldn't the coach inspire them at the start of the game as well? The first quarter was an absolute joke. The Lions continue to come out flat, I only half watched after the opening period as it looked as though the game was slipping by along with the division.

Minnesota took their foot off the pedal by getting more conservative on both sides of the ball, this let the Lions back in the game as much as anything they seemed to do.

With Rodgers out and the division up in the air the Lions blew it to the Vikings and their 3rd string QB (and backup RB). Can't we finally win at least a division title. Hell, the Tampa Bay Bucs have won the NFC North more recently than the Lions and that was in the last century and six years after the Lions last division title. That is remarkable ineptitude...


i agree with the result but i think its more of a game strategy that caldwell utilizes by being ultra conservative on offense until there backs are against the wall. he believes if you dont turn it over you will win so he s okay with not taking chances early and a game and allowing drives to stall. i think the lions have scored on there 1st offensive drive just once this season but have no problem scoring later in games that they are behind when caldwell stops minimizing risk in favor of benefit.


November 24th, 2017, 10:50 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.