View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 15th, 2018, 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ansah. 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Ansah.
I think we need to place the second highest tag on him if he doesn’t otherwise re-sign with the Lions. I wouldn’t give him the franchise tag. But, I would at least make sure we get a chance to match any offer he gets.

December 31st, 2017, 4:15 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Re: Ansah.
he probably earned himself the franchise tag and i think ebron s done enough to earn himself the 5th year option.

December 31st, 2017, 5:08 pm
RIP Killer

Ziggy, when healthy is worth the FT. Problem is, he’s constantly got nagging injuries that make him ineffective. He’s one of the streakiest players in the league. He also has padded his stats this year against garbage OTs (like today)

December 31st, 2017, 7:28 pm
Junior Varsity

It would be unwose for us to go into the offseason woth zero talent at DE. Please retain him somehow, if we end up hiring Patricia i think hes a good fit for that style of D

December 31st, 2017, 8:04 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Transition tag is probably going to be near $14M for DE. I would like to see Ansah brought back, but not for that kind of money. He's going to get overpaid by someone, so why hamstring your money just to decline to match?

December 31st, 2017, 9:24 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

rao wrote:
Transition tag is probably going to be near $14M for DE. I would like to see Ansah brought back, but not for that kind of money. He's going to get overpaid by someone, so why hamstring your money just to decline to match?

Because that is the only way to make sure we get more than just a 4th round pick for him. That is what the very 1st comp pick is. Nothing more than a 4th round pick.

January 1st, 2018, 12:32 am
NFL Team Captain

Quinn said in his press conference that retaining Ansah could possibly tied to what the new scheme is.

January 1st, 2018, 4:28 pm

BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:

Because that is the only way to make sure we get more than just a 4th round pick for him. That is what the very 1st comp pick is. Nothing more than a 4th round pick.

Ansah is an unrestricted free agent. They can only use the Franchise tag or transition tag to tender him. The transition tag provides no compensation if you refuse to match. The franchise tag will cost around $16M-$17M for DEs in 2018, you cannot tender an injury prone guy like Ansah for that much money. He would instantly sign his tender and you would destroy the cap space.

The very first compensatory pick is usually the end of the 3rd round, but I do believe the league could award a higher round if they ever wanted too.

I wouldn't even expect the Lions to receive a comp pick for Ansah. It's very likely they sign a FA of better or equal value. IMO the only way the Lions get value from Ansah leaving is with the FT and I think you would have to be an idiot to do that unless your committed to keeping him.

January 1st, 2018, 4:53 pm
Team MVP

The highest comp pick is a 3rd. If we don't sign Ansah back, we're going to have to sign at least one DE off another team, which would cancel out a comp pick, so don't base it on that. Depending on the scheme we run, we're going to have turnover on the defensive front. Whether we go with a 4-3 or 3-4 next season, or even a hybrid will determine where they invest that money. I think Ansah is versatile enough to be a 3-4 outside LB, but there might be cheaper options.

January 1st, 2018, 5:19 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

rao wrote:

in ansah s case the one year committment makes it easier to justify. this team isnt loaded with passrushers and cant afford to let the one they do have walk - especially when kid genius hasnt been drafting any the last 2 years. on the other hand, ansahs inconsistent play bc of injuries makes you hesitate to commit long term.

also im sick of hearing this about hamstringing money when the alternative is not having a good player and instead just having the money but not spending it on quality players. bringing in guys like cornelius washington, stefan charles, akeem spence isnt going to take ur defense to the next level. time to try something different this time around.

Last edited by The Legend on January 1st, 2018, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 1st, 2018, 6:24 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I think they should sign him. I think you're gonna need to pay up on this one. at least quite a bit if not all the money for his position. They need edge rushers in a big way. If he walks you have an extra giant hole to fill.

The should draft a pass rusher within the top 4 rds I think, but as a complement to Ziggy. not a hopeful replacement. They need more good players, not an exchange of names. Push the bottom guys off the roster with the new draft picks, not the top guys if they have ability.

January 1st, 2018, 7:54 pm
3rd Round Selection

I wouldn't tag Ansah with any of the tags. He had one breakout year followed by two busts. His sacks this year have come against sub par tackles and the staff even moved him to the right side (defensive left side) in the last game to get him up against a weaker opponent. The soon to be out-going staff wanted to help him pad his stats and they knew it wouldn't happen against a quality left tackle. What does that say about signing him? To me it says no to any tags.

January 3rd, 2018, 8:39 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:

Ansah is an unrestricted free agent. They can only use the Franchise tag or transition tag to tender him. The transition tag provides no compensation if you refuse to match. The franchise tag will cost around $16M-$17M for DEs in 2018, you cannot tender an injury prone guy like Ansah for that much money. He would instantly sign his tender and you would destroy the cap space.

The very first compensatory pick is usually the end of the 3rd round, but I do believe the league could award a higher round if they ever wanted too.

I wouldn't even expect the Lions to receive a comp pick for Ansah. It's very likely they sign a FA of better or equal value. IMO the only way the Lions get value from Ansah leaving is with the FT and I think you would have to be an idiot to do that unless your committed to keeping him.

The very first comp pick comes AT THE END of the third round. It is what used to be the 1st pick of the 4th round. You can use semantics and insist that it is a 3rd round pick all you want. Really it is a 4th round pick.

And everyone always says that if a FA leaves and you sign a guy to stop the bleeding, that you won’t get a comp pick. That is crap. There is so much that goes into the awarding of comp picks. Original round the guy you lost is a factor as well as how much he signed for with the new team all put into comparison with the guy you signed. Along with about another dozen factors.

January 3rd, 2018, 9:20 pm

BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:

The very first comp pick comes AT THE END of the third round. It is what used to be the 1st pick of the 4th round. You can use semantics and insist that it is a 3rd round pick all you want. Really it is a 4th round pick.

And everyone always says that if a FA leaves and you sign a guy to stop the bleeding, that you won’t get a comp pick. That is crap. There is so much that goes into the awarding of comp picks. Original round the guy you lost is a factor as well as how much he signed for with the new team all put into comparison with the guy you signed. Along with about another dozen factors.

The pick happens before the first pick of the 4th round so it is a 3rd round pick. That is a fact.

It's not crap to say the Lions wont get a comp pick for Ansah because with how much money they have available and a new coach it is almost a sure thing they will sign a FA of greater or equal value to Ansah. Also to get comp picks you have to lose more FAs than you sign and there is very little chance that happens with a new coach coming in.

January 3rd, 2018, 11:28 pm

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:

in ansah s case the one year committment makes it easier to justify. this team isnt loaded with passrushers and cant afford to let the one they do have walk - especially when kid genius hasnt been drafting any the last 2 years. on the other hand, ansahs inconsistent play bc of injuries makes you hesitate to commit long term.

also im sick of hearing this about hamstringing money when the alternative is not having a good player and instead just having the money but not spending it on quality players. bringing in guys like cornelius washington, stefan charles, akeem spence isnt going to take ur defense to the next level. time to try something different this time around.

Hamstring your money as in limit your available cap space for the opening of free agency. I think resigning Ansah for anything other than a team friendly deal is moronic and tagging him could stop you from actually signing a quality player. I'm assuming Ansah's agent would get him to instantly sign his tender if he's tagged. If not it's fine since you can just rescind the tag, but I wouldn't take that chance given Ansah's age and injury history.

January 3rd, 2018, 11:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next