View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 15th, 2018, 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Head Coach Matt Patricia 
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Re: Head Coach Matt Patricia
rao wrote:
Considering what the Eagles did to the Minny defense and how weak the talent is on the Pats defense, I would say Patricia did as well as anyone could.

Its an injustice to compare the two defenses in the two games without considering that Case Keenum wasnt up to the challenge and instead was totally dominated by the Eagles defense. Keenum gave the Eagles life with a pick 6, fumble and erratic play. Contrast with the Super Bowl where Brady was basically unstoppable gashing the Eagles defense throughout the game. New England didnt punt once, creating a much larger margin of error for the Patriots defense. In addition to being outmanned I would have to say that the New England defense did not appear well prepared for this game.

February 5th, 2018, 1:55 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
Considering what the Eagles did to the Minny defense and how weak the talent is on the Pats defense, I would say Patricia did as well as anyone could.

Its an injustice to compare the two defenses in the two games without considering that Case Keenum wasnt up to the challenge and instead was totally dominated by the Eagles defense. Keenum gave the Eagles life with a pick 6, fumble and erratic play. Contrast with the Super Bowl where Brady was basically unstoppable gashing the Eagles defense throughout the game. New England didnt punt once, creating a much larger margin of error for the Patriots defense. In addition to being outmanned I would have to say that the New England defense did not appear well prepared for this game.

Where do you think they were unprepared? I didn't feel they were missing assignments or getting stupid penalties. They played disciplined football and just got outplayed athletically and physically. You could maybe say the Butler thing was bad coaching, but that seems like a Belichick call not on Patrica.

Foles was 78% on his passes in the Minny game. Keenum may have given the Eagles life, but that doesn't account for that kind of game from the opposing QB.

February 5th, 2018, 3:48 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Legend wrote:
Put me in the skeptical category. Patricia to the Lions sniffs of when Saban sent Nussmeir to UMich as OCoordinator. Saban's assistants are not the reason why Alabama is so consistently good and the same can be said for Belichick's assistants. Patricia will at least initially struggle outside the uterus sans Bill and Brady. It could even be addition by subtraction for the Patriots especially if they get Schiano a much more experienced and accomplished coach than the unproven product the Lions are getting. Like Bob Quinn when the Lions hired him, the new Lions head coach has also made very few decisions of his own during his time in New England. Stafford isnt exactly at the beginning of his career and hiring an inexperienced head coach and enduring those growing pains could be a foolish move against a dwindling clock. Patricia is by all accounts smart likeable and hardworking but in most of my interactions with other fans the expectation seems to be that this is going to happen overnight. 2018 brings Los Angeles Rams, Seattle, Carolina, the New York Jets, New England, Green Bay, Chicago and Minnesota to Detroit with the Lions travelling to San Francisco, Arizona, Dallas, Miami, Buffalo, Green Bay, Minnesota, and Chicago - not exactly the most welcoming schedule for the new coach.

What are you skeptical about exactly? Is it that he'll be as good as Caldwell or that he'll lead the team to playoff wins? If it's the playoff wins or getting to the Super Bowl then I'm right there with you, but I would be skeptical of any of the available coaches when it comes to those results. I don't think Patricia is a lock to be better than Caldwell, but given that he's never had the chance I'm happy to see if he can do it over continuing to watch the same problems from Caldwell for another year. Who was your preferred hire? I don't remember from the other thread. I went back and forth on who I liked better, but no one stood out head and shoulders above anyone else to me. At least Patricia has a connection to Quinn and the appreciation seems to have been mutual given he chose Detroit over other teams.

February 5th, 2018, 4:10 pm
NFL Team Captain

Just glad Caldwell's gone, as well as almost all his assistants. As for Patricia, I won't be surprised if there's growing pains. Sometimes you take a step back, and it would be foolish to think he's automatically gonna put us in the play-offs next season. Think he's the right hire if Quinn says so. Gotta give him a chance to bring in his own guy. Sink or swim? We'll find out.

February 5th, 2018, 5:18 pm
RIP Killer

You shouldn't judge Patricia on one game. Then again, how great was the defense all season ranking 29th in the league? Good thing their offense ranks #1. Our GM took the easy path to the coach hiring someone he knew which doesn't make it a bad hire but also doesn't give me a ton of confidence. The Billicheck tree of coaching isn't exactly littered with a lot of success stories.

I'm more a fan of offensive minded head coaches in the current NFL environment but really hope this one turns out well. We are now getting into a tighter window of having a franchise QB for once, lets take advantage of it.

February 6th, 2018, 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Defense wins championships, right? That’s what we’ve always said, lol. Doesn’t seem to be that way anymore. I would much rather have an offensive wizard bringing something unique to the table.

February 6th, 2018, 8:41 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

I'm trying hard to look at Matt Patricia and not see Jim Schwartz...

... the beard helps.

I expect Patricia to kind of suck next year, from just trying to figure out all the things he doesn't know that he didn't even know he was supposed to know.

I like that Quinn let Caldwell go, and then targeted the coach he wanted and got him. That whole scenario reeks of competence. Well played Bobby Quinn.

I don't know that there is any coach I would have liked better than Patricia, so, win or lose, I think he was our best shot for the next few years.

February 7th, 2018, 2:34 pm
3rd Round Selection

Quinn and Caldwell were not a fit. I don't believe they truly saw eye to eye on player acquisition and development. Quinn went after the tyoe of players he had learned to value while in NE; less emphasis on talent and greater focus on smarts and attitude. If you are not on the same page top to bottom in your leadership positions you will never succeed. This should be one more piece of the puzzle

February 9th, 2018, 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2