View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2018, 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions cut Zettel 
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Lions cut Zettel
Unreal. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing. Bob Quinn spent two years drafting players that dont fit Patricia's scheme. The Lions dont have enough talent to be cutting talented players. Ominous sign.

September 5th, 2018, 9:16 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Lions cut Zettel
I liked Zettel, but this move means nothing. The kid still displays a complete lack of edge discipline after 2 years of substantial usage. If he had shown any improvement I'm sure he would still be on the team. He'll be an ok situational pass rusher for some 4-3 team if he gets claimed, but his inability to improve the rest of his game is why he got cut.

September 5th, 2018, 10:07 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

at some point you need a passrush and he made enormous strides from year 1 to year 2. this is going to be a long season. they could have easily cut one of there 4 TEs, one of the extra wideouts, Killebrew who s out of a position or some of the other substandard depth on the OL. Zettel was a guy that actually produces at rushing the passer - hard to believe they couldnt trade him for something. for sure someone will claim him - cheap and productive, hardworking with a big motor. they get an undrafted guy who couldnt see the field for the giants and will have 2 or 3 practices before the opener. Are they trying to lose to the Jets?

September 5th, 2018, 10:24 pm
NFL Team Captain

Disappointed. Fond of his hustle and relentless pursuit. Wondering if he's a possible practice squad addition? Hate to see him go.

September 6th, 2018, 8:40 am

The Legend wrote:
at some point you need a passrush and he made enormous strides from year 1 to year 2. this is going to be a long season. they could have easily cut one of there 4 TEs, one of the extra wideouts, Killebrew who s out of a position or some of the other substandard depth on the OL. Zettel was a guy that actually produces at rushing the passer - hard to believe they couldnt trade him for something. for sure someone will claim him - cheap and productive, hardworking with a big motor. they get an undrafted guy who couldnt see the field for the giants and will have 2 or 3 practices before the opener. Are they trying to lose to the Jets?

I don't disagree about the need for pass rush, but Zettel ran himself out of the play just as much as he applied pressure. Any kind of mobility from the QB rendered him mostly ineffective since he can't set an edge or readjust his attack once he's moving. I would have liked to see them drop a TE instead, but I don't see any where else they can afford to drop players. If Zettel was getting pushed down the depth chart it makes sense he was let go over the better ST players like Powell. I don't think it's hard to believe at all that he wasn't traded, lots of teams are shopping the waiver wire and Zettel didn't show anything this preseason or the second half of last season. The guy that they replaced Zettel with started for an injured JPP last season after coming off IR and by most accounts a surprising cut just like Zettel. Okwara weirdly was also the Giants best performer stat wise this preseason.

September 6th, 2018, 8:52 am
RIP Killer

Is it telling that nobody has claimed Zettel yet? Is it telling that nobody has claimed anybody that the Lions waived? If the depth is really as good as we keep being fed wouldn't others be picking our drops up?

September 6th, 2018, 10:19 am
Profile WWW
#1 Overall Pick

I think that we may be about to discover this season that Austin was working wonders with a bare cupboard of talent.

Patricia managed something similar with an equally poor talent base in NE. Only chance this season is if he repeats it here, but here the subpar talent doesn't even fit the scheme.

Long season ahead, I think.

September 6th, 2018, 2:33 pm
NFL Team Captain

UK Lion wrote:
I think that we may be about to discover this season that Austin was working wonders with a bare cupboard of talent.

Patricia managed something similar with an equally poor talent base in NE. Only chance this season is if he repeats it here, but here the subpar talent doesn't even fit the scheme.

Agree somewhat. Defensively we don't even know what we have yet. The preseason is no barometer. Hopefully we'll have a high powered offense to carry us to play-off contention. If we can mount some kind of running game and have better clock control, we could be in the mix.

September 6th, 2018, 4:41 pm
Water Boy

Zettle was claimed by the Browns!

September 6th, 2018, 11:20 pm
RIP Killer

4 teams claimed him. I know the packers and the browns put in claims. I forget the other 2.

I did like Zettle, but Rao is right. Dude seemed so focused on the sack, he would lose contain wait too frequently. He was trying so hard that it hurt him too often.

However, he is waaay better than most of the other turds on the roster. Is he really better than the giants waiver pickup that replaced him?

September 7th, 2018, 7:56 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Pablo wrote:
Is it telling that nobody has claimed Zettel yet? Is it telling that nobody has claimed anybody that the Lions waived? If the depth is really as good as we keep being fed wouldn't others be picking our drops up?

he was claimed by the team with the highest waiver priority, the packers among others put a claim in for him

September 8th, 2018, 1:53 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

UK Lion wrote:

quinn s statement last year when he fired caldwell was that he believed they had more talent than 9-7. besides kerryon and ragnow im not sure the lions have added anywhere and 9-7 or 10-6 or wherever quinn has set the bar certainly doesnt seem at all feasible let alone a gimme.

beyond that, quinn sold patricia as a guy that will take the talent that is available and create his scheme around it. cutting zettel makes it clear thats not the case.

September 8th, 2018, 1:58 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

conversion02 wrote:
4 teams claimed him. I know the packers and the browns put in claims. I forget the other 2.

I did like Zettle, but Rao is right. Dude seemed so focused on the sack, he would lose contain wait too frequently. He was trying so hard that it hurt him too often.

However, he is waaay better than most of the other turds on the roster. Is he really better than the giants waiver pickup that replaced him?

i agree zettel wasnt an all world end but he was a hell of a value with 2 years left on his deal at a 6th round salary who could give you near starter level snaps if necessary. the lions practiced with the giants so maybe they got a close up look at this new guy and he fits a 3-4 profile better than zettel but i agree with you - the lions have a lot of wasted roster space right now.

September 8th, 2018, 2:03 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I don't disagree about the need for pass rush, but Zettel ran himself out of the play just as much as he applied pressure. Any kind of mobility from the QB rendered him mostly ineffective since he can't set an edge or readjust his attack once he's moving. I would have liked to see them drop a TE instead, but I don't see any where else they can afford to drop players. If Zettel was getting pushed down the depth chart it makes sense he was let go over the better ST players like Powell. I don't think it's hard to believe at all that he wasn't traded, lots of teams are shopping the waiver wire and Zettel didn't show anything this preseason or the second half of last season. The guy that they replaced Zettel with started for an injured JPP last season after coming off IR and by most accounts a surprising cut just like Zettel. Okwara weirdly was also the Giants best performer stat wise this preseason.

sounds like jarrad davis

September 8th, 2018, 2:05 pm

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

sounds like jarrad davis

And??

September 8th, 2018, 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next