View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2018, 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs Jets on MNF 
RIP Killer

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs Jets on MNF
Terrible offense. Terrible defense. Terrible special teams.

Can't throw. Can't run. Can't block. Can't tackle. Can't even kick...

Can we fire the coach after one game? Can he take his buddy Quinn with him?

BTW - it's so bad I'm not watching the 4th quarter, giving my wife the remote.

September 10th, 2018, 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

This team has gotten progressively worse since we fired Schwartz.

September 10th, 2018, 9:59 pm
RIP Killer

Which is unfortunate because Schwartz was a cocky blowhard who was way too emotional and it carried over to the team

September 10th, 2018, 10:18 pm
Junior Varsity

You know, I had hope for the season. Until this. Wasting a good QBs career who all of sudden looked like natahan peterman. We were promised a step forward but went straight to the bottom. I havent been genuinely hurt by a lions loss in a long time. But I know that this is the signaling of unmitigated disaster. Lost season, maybe looking for a new coach and gm next year

September 10th, 2018, 10:20 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I'm not one to overreact after one game, but fire everyone. There is no excuse for a game like that. Even the 2008 roster put up a better fight than this team. I thought we would at least get a couple games into the season before we would see Ansah's 17M become dead money. I just don't understand how they have managed to become worse at ST and offense when virtually nothing has changed for those squads. If anything the offense got more talented and still somehow got worse. The only person that came to play was Golladay, he was the best offensive and defensive player.

September 10th, 2018, 10:30 pm

BillySims wrote:
This team has gotten progressively worse since we fired Schwartz.

Your giving Schwartz to much credit, Caldwell and Schwartz were equally as mediocre. Looks like Patricia and Quinn just threw the team off a cliff.

September 10th, 2018, 10:36 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

conversion02 wrote:
Davis has some of the worst instincts for a LB I have ever seen. I’ve never seen an NFL LB consistently shoot such awful holes so consistently. He never goes where the RB goes, he always goes where there’s a ha,f dozen beefcakes.

Also, whoever the lady calling the game is...she’s horrendous.

agreed he goes right at the O-Lineman and attacks them head on, doesnt try to slip them or put a move on them even. cant wrap up and finish tackles. he is a very disappointing player

September 10th, 2018, 11:41 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Pablo wrote:
Why am I still a fan of this team?

im wondering the same thing, was at the game and seriously considering why???? then i started to think, what new team i should pick instead.

September 10th, 2018, 11:42 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

rao wrote:
I'm not one to overreact after one game, but fire everyone. There is no excuse for a game like that. Even the 2008 roster put up a better fight than this team. I thought we would at least get a couple games into the season before we would see Ansah's 17M become dead money. I just don't understand how they have managed to become worse at ST and offense when virtually nothing has changed for those squads. If anything the offense got more talented and still somehow got worse. The only person that came to play was Golladay, he was the best offensive and defensive player.

Patricia is in Morninwheg territory already as just a total disaster. Morninwheg with his motorcycle departure from practice and Patricia running camp like it was high school two a days in full pads daily. They didnt show up for any of 5 performances for him so far. Even guys on the 3rd teams trying to just survive in the league no showed on him in camp. It certainly looks like he has lost the team or never had it in the first place. Caldwell was well liked, Patricia at best right now is merely tolerated. He worked the Lions hard in camp and then turn around and cut one of the highest motor guys on the team and benched one of there most talented interior lineman in favor of some scraps that couldnt cut in New England anymore. Today he played with 5-6-7 DBs dropping into zones while the Jets went max protect sending out 2-3 WRs and allowing Darnold eons to find someone. The Jets werent doing anything all that clever nor are they particularly talented but Patricia oversaw an awful game plan and did little to adjust to what was happening. The team looked neither prepared or motivated and unsurprisingly quit in the 3rd quarter. Its obvious that Patricia and Quinn had little if any responsibility in New England. Quinn should have known better than anyone else around the league not to bring in Patricia, no matter how good of friends they are.

Back to this game in particular, Golladay offensively had a good performance. Stafford was terrible but Tate and Jones didnt do him any favors. I was shocked at how little Cooter went to his runners given the offseason efforts to build up the OL and running back group. Kerryon Johnson looks like a quality player that could ve maybe stabilized the Lions offense especially the way Stafford was playing. Bradley Marquez on the punt return unit with contain responsibility on the right was getting totally abused all day and is probably the first person that should be cut. Defensively it was a disastrous group effort but I thought Sylvester Williams had some good moments inside and Devon Kennard had a couple on the edge.

Going forward Im not sure where a win comes from on the schedule and it looks like a slow painful road ahead with GM and HC both on 5 year deals, have to assume they are given at minimum the next 3 years.

September 11th, 2018, 12:22 am
Junior Varsity

Not sure if they get three years. I dont think anyone forgets "9-7 isnt good enough". But then again Patricia hit everyone with "this team is a work in progress". We cant ever just enjoy success

September 11th, 2018, 12:48 am
#1 Overall Pick

The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Davis has some of the worst instincts for a LB I have ever seen. I’ve never seen an NFL LB consistently shoot such awful holes so consistently. He never goes where the RB goes, he always goes where there’s a ha,f dozen beefcakes.

agreed he goes right at the O-Lineman and attacks them head on, doesnt try to slip them or put a move on them even. cant wrap up and finish tackles. he is a very disappointing player
Agree with you both. He looked appalling last year, and doesn't look any better this year. Kyle Van Noy level football instincts. Awful.

Ragnow also looked poor this game I thought. Don't think Quinn has any kind of eye for draft talent.

Looks like we become yet another team to grab a GM from the Patriots and discover he's not all that. Only we also pulled the same trick grabbing one of their coordinators. Classic Lions.

September 11th, 2018, 2:25 am

UK Lion wrote:
The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Agree with you both. He looked appalling last year, and doesn't look any better this year. Kyle Van Noy level football instincts. Awful.

Ragnow also looked poor this game I thought. Don't think Quinn has any kind of eye for draft talent.

Looks like we become yet another team to grab a GM from the Patriots and discover he's not all that. Only we also pulled the same trick grabbing one of their coordinators. Classic Lions.

Davis to me looks worse now than even last year, Austin had him settling in after he came back from his concussion and he played decently at the end of the season. Austin took all his responsibilities away and just let him play, but it looks like Patricia just slammed him with all those responsibilities again in a more complicated defense.

Ragnow was in his first real game, so he gets a pass from me. I won't say Quinn is bad at gauging talent. I think just like Legend has been saying, Patricia's rep as making his scheme fit the players is BS. A'Shawn being a healthy scratch is just crazy, if you can't get A'Shawn ready to play at least as depth in your defense, your either a crap coach or have a crap scheme.

September 11th, 2018, 9:17 am
National Champion

rao wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Davis to me looks worse now than even last year, Austin had him settling in after he came back from his concussion and he played decently at the end of the season. Austin took all his responsibilities away and just let him play, but it looks like Patricia just slammed him with all those responsibilities again in a more complicated defense.

Ragnow was in his first real game, so he gets a pass from me. I won't say Quinn is bad at gauging talent. I think just like Legend has been saying, Patricia's rep as making his scheme fit the players is BS. A'Shawn being a healthy scratch is just crazy, if you can't get A'Shawn ready to play at least as depth in your defense, your either a crap coach or have a crap scheme.

What do you mean? If A'shawn didn't sit this game then one of our FOUR awesome TEs would have had to sit. :roll:

And, yes, that was terrible. I thought Stafford was trying to break Ty Detmer's INT record for a second. At least we got a gem in keeping Matt Castel. That guy should be a starter in this league...

September 11th, 2018, 10:39 am

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:

Patricia is in Morninwheg territory already as just a total disaster. Morninwheg with his motorcycle departure from practice and Patricia running camp like it was high school two a days in full pads daily. They didnt show up for any of 5 performances for him so far. Even guys on the 3rd teams trying to just survive in the league no showed on him in camp. It certainly looks like he has lost the team or never had it in the first place. Caldwell was well liked, Patricia at best right now is merely tolerated. He worked the Lions hard in camp and then turn around and cut one of the highest motor guys on the team and benched one of there most talented interior lineman in favor of some scraps that couldnt cut in New England anymore. Today he played with 5-6-7 DBs dropping into zones while the Jets went max protect sending out 2-3 WRs and allowing Darnold eons to find someone. The Jets werent doing anything all that clever nor are they particularly talented but Patricia oversaw an awful game plan and did little to adjust to what was happening. The team looked neither prepared or motivated and unsurprisingly quit in the 3rd quarter. Its obvious that Patricia and Quinn had little if any responsibility in New England. Quinn should have known better than anyone else around the league not to bring in Patricia, no matter how good of friends they are.

Back to this game in particular, Golladay offensively had a good performance. Stafford was terrible but Tate and Jones didnt do him any favors. I was shocked at how little Cooter went to his runners given the offseason efforts to build up the OL and running back group. Kerryon Johnson looks like a quality player that could ve maybe stabilized the Lions offense especially the way Stafford was playing. Bradley Marquez on the punt return unit with contain responsibility on the right was getting totally abused all day and is probably the first person that should be cut. Defensively it was a disastrous group effort but I thought Sylvester Williams had some good moments inside and Devon Kennard had a couple on the edge.

Going forward Im not sure where a win comes from on the schedule and it looks like a slow painful road ahead with GM and HC both on 5 year deals, have to assume they are given at minimum the next 3 years.

I'm not sure if Patricia just never got the team fully on board, if maybe all the off field crap left a divide that never closed, or he had them and lost them in practice. It just looks really really ugly. Not only are the players seeming to not give full effort, but most the defense just look confused on assignments and responsibilities. Then add to that this JBC play calling situation, where the Jets players said they knew every call and audible the Lions made. The coaching is a complete mess. Patricia could get the team back on board and the defensive players can learn the system better, but there is nothing they can do about JBC now. Teams know his entire playbook now and he hasn't improved one iota. Johnson looked like a true 3 down back and yet JBC kept switching backs every series. He has no concept of how to use a RB as anything other than an extra receiver or how to use formations for both runs and passes. It no wonder the Oline looks bad every season when the opposing teams defense knows exactly when to pin their ears back and rush or sit low and hold their gaps.

September 11th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Marquez waived for OT Jamil Demby, looks like you were right Legend. Marquez was the first guy dropped after the horrible monday night game. This probably means Lang's back injury from the end of the game is going to be more than a minor injury. At least this Demby kid made a 53 man roster of a good team before being waived for Aaron Donald. 6th round pick from this years draft class, not a bad guy to take a look at.

September 11th, 2018, 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next