View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 18th, 2018, 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Lions at Cowboys 
#1 Overall Pick

Post Lions at Cowboys
Well, the offense continued to look like the offense we'd probably hoped we'd have this season. Good to see that continue to click, and the emergence of KJ and KG as stars.

Shame the defense continues to struggle so badly, although not a huge surprise given how little resource has been invested there (and most of that resource has been spent on a guy who is allergic to the playing field). Still being gashed vs the run is a nightmare. I realise Patricia has limited talent to work with, but he needs to get this sorted asap.

October 1st, 2018, 5:01 am
Junior Varsity

Post Re: Lions at Cowboys
Defense knew what was coming, just not good enough to do anything about it. Also, why are they trusting Davis in coverage at end game like that?

October 1st, 2018, 12:58 pm
RIP Killer

I was at the game yesterday with my brother. We thought the game set up nicely for the Lions for a few reasons:

1) We figure if we held the Cowboys to 20 points or less we would score enough to win. The Cowboys offense hasn't been great this season so that was very realistic. The Cowboys squeaked out just enough. This was my fourth Lions/Cowboys game in person and first Lions loss...

2) The Patriots game plan is to always take away a teams best option. For the Cowboys, they have one guy on offense (Elliot) and one guy on defense (Lawrence) to game plan around and try to let someone else beat you. The Lions game plan didn't seem to be to try to stop either which killed them. Both had career days. Putting Davis (or really any LB on Elliot on the big play at the end of the 4th was poor coaching. Actually, the coverage by Davis didn't look terrible to me but I'd have put a safety on him in pass coverage.

I haven't watched the game on TV yet but the Lions made some very stupid costly plays. For example, we our player lined up offsides to keep the Cowboys drive going - that was terrible. We could see it clearly from the upper deck - how could no Lions player or coach see that and either move him back or call a timeout? That was a killer. The Lions also had a play called back after the ball hit the ground on a replay but had plenty of time to snap the ball before the challenge flag was throw - again, poor coaching.

The refs missed a ton of calls on the Cowboys. No penalties in the first half was a joke and only 2 all game. Pathetic. Again, from the upper deck we could see holding plays on both sides of the ball and other missed calls. The Cowboys scored on the play immediately after the roughing the passer personal foul. I need to watch that again, but Dak's knee went down and he acted like he was in college and the play was over so the Lions player tackled him. Seemed like a weird play and they didn't show the replay in the stadium so I'm not sure but that seemed questionable.

I feel bad for Stafford. He played well throughout for the most part and deserved to win coming back home to Dallas. The game was very winnable and I realize the Lions are limited on defense but you have to make the Cowboys beat you with someone other than Elliot. Hell, I saw MSU gameplan against him in 2015 and held Elliot to 2.8 ypc and beat OSU in Columbus on senior day with backup QBs.

There was no "Patriot Way" yesterday in the game plan and the Lions lost as a result!

October 1st, 2018, 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

We just let 1 Effin guy beat us!!!

October 1st, 2018, 4:13 pm
3rd Round Selection

Signing TJ and franchising Ziggy both look like huge mistakes. Neither player is on the field enough to justify their contracts - that money could have been better spent elsewhere.

October 1st, 2018, 10:29 pm
NFL Team Captain

Leo wrote:
Signing TJ and franchising Ziggy both look like huge mistakes. Neither player is on the field enough to justify their contracts - that money could have been better spent elsewhere.

Agree about Ziggy. Should have let him walk. It was a huge gamble on Quinn's part and it's starting to look like he lost.
TJ has played well when there and should be back after the bye. Financially he wasn't that bad of a gamble, no where near the one for Ansah.

October 2nd, 2018, 10:39 am
3rd Round Selection

I only watched a part of the game, but I did come to realize my late wife was right, they can't hear you through the television. I was yelling about lining up offside the entire time. I have read far too much about how Davis should not have been covering and how he blew the the coverage, yet that ball was about as perfect a pass and catch as you could ask for. could the coverage of been better? Yeah, so could the pressure from the d-line to alter the throw.

Look, as fans we almost always seek the easiest answer and focus in on one or two plays/calls that 'cost' us the game even though it is never just one or two plays; those are just the ones that stand out the most. I'm not nearly so upset about the pass over davis as I am about the offsides, yet how many plays after that did the Lions have an opportunity to stop the 'Boys and didn't? Why did Johnson only run the ball nine times? Was it play selection from the Bench or Stafford checking out? Why did we struggle so much to stop their running game? Why is it that players continue to do things they have been coached not to do such as Tate and his showboating before he scores. He admits he was coached about not doing it after his first score and yet does it again and is nearly caught and stripped of the ball the second time. It isn't whether Ziggy if is on the field or Lang is on the field (althiugh I was opposed to signing Ziggy). It is about coaches putting the players in the best position to succeed and then the players doing things right so they can succeed. The Lions just made too many mistakes.

October 7th, 2018, 7:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]