View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 16th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Packers at Lions 
League MVP

Post Re: Packers at Lions
I don't know what to think of this team. Hope KJ uses the bye week to get healthy. The offense looks good and if Matt can connect on some of these deep balls we'll be in every game from here on out. The defense worries me. Pass rush is up and down and we need turnovers to keep us in games.

October 7th, 2018, 4:48 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I don't know what to think of this team. Hope KJ uses the bye week to get healthy. The offense looks good and if Matt can connect on some of these deep balls we'll be in every game from here on out. The defense worries me. Pass rush is up and down and we need turnovers to keep us in games.

You arent the only one but its clear at least that this isnt the same team that was shellshocked to begin the season. They woke up at some point right around Blount getting tossed from the San Fran game. The biggest weakness remains the run defense and its crucial to get out ahead early to force teams away from the run. The Pack had some success running with Aaron Jones but bw giving him a breather and missing a lot of kicks they couldnt stick with it. Jones had one run where he trucked both Davis and Tabor. As for the passrush, there really is none to speak of - Rodgers was holding the ball forever and ever but credit the Lions for making him pay. Rodgers knee injury seems to be a factor as was the inexperienced mess of receiving options he had out there. The lack of a real passrush showed in the second half when the Packers came back and the Lions had depth issues with Slay and Agnew leaving the game. Fortunately Slay returned but Agnew did not return and could be done for the year. Lions may want to take a look at Cyrus Jones who was just cut by the Patriots. The Patriots connection is there and he can fill in the return game like Agnew and profiles as a slot type corner. Leblanc played so poorly it d be hard to imagine him getting another chance. Teez Tabor is looking like a bust so its not like he can help outside and let Lawson go play slot. The Lions were doing a lot of mixing and matching later in the game and I wouldnt say it was working. At least the Lions have 2 weeks to get healthy or get someone in and get them up to speed.

Offensively, the line is better than a year ago but still not a true plus. The bigger runs on the edge seemed to be sprung mostly by WR blocks. There was decent push up the middle on the Blount 3rd down conversions and the 2 TDs but a lot of the difference is he s just a bigger tougher runner than what the Lions had last year. Kenny Wiggins has stepped in for Lang and done a commendable job. Lang is head and shoulders better than Wiggins but its possible he s played his last snap. Ragnow and Wagner both cost the Lions offense big plays. Marvin Jones dropped Stafford s attempted strike to the Packers jugular. Golladay looks like he will ascend into a true No 1 WR, his emergence combined with Kerryon Johnson s solid play should lead to some bigger games from the offense but they arent quite there yet. A win is a win but if the Lions land those plays than the story is more about how the Lions shredded the Packers rather than a bizarre game with the Packers being shorthanded, getting hosed by a mysterious special teams call and then Crosby having the worst game of his career.

October 7th, 2018, 9:58 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I didn't get to watch the game, but from what I have been reading online about the game seems like even though it was a dumpster fire, the team did show some progress in areas. While not likely, it is still possible the team could improve enough to look like they have a shot at playoffs even though we all know they really don't. Maybe we'll see the hard practice payoff in the second half of the season when teams are beginning to show season fatigue and Patricia's coaching style is supposed to get his team prepared for.

October 8th, 2018, 1:29 am
Junior Varsity

In response to bill about Rodgers, he was fine. The packers offense is essentially highschool route concepts, and when they dont have their starters in, it shows. Except for Adam's who had himself a day.

I read an article where romeo okwara said you have to be patient rushing Rodgers, and they were. The defensive gameplan was pretty solid and there was alot of havoc caused by coverage. GB did adjust well in the second half, but not enough to re gain control.

October 8th, 2018, 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2