View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 14th, 2018, 11:58 am



Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tate a goner? 
Author Message
NFL Team Captain

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1636
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Tate a goner?
Rumors are he's being shopped. Not surprised, although I'd miss him. He has been a clutch receiver for us. But his contract is up and his age could be a factor as well.


Lions want 'at least' 4th-rounder for WR Tate

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Lions' asking price would be "at least" a fourth-round pick in exchange for Golden Tate.
Ian Rapoport added that "a few teams" have inquired about Tate. In his age-30 season, this is also Tate's contract year, and it sounds like the Lions are leaking this information to drum up trade interest with no intentions of keeping Tate in Detroit long term. If Tate were to be dealt, the Lions could turn to T.J. Jones at slot receiver between Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Oct 29 - 4:16 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... or-wr-tate


October 29th, 2018, 4:35 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10994
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Tate a goner?
Not buying it. If they were 1-6 or 2-5, then sure, but they’re 1 game out with 2 games against the bears remaining. They can’t dump Tate for peanuts

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


October 29th, 2018, 9:28 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2364
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Tate a goner?
A 4th for Tate isn't peanuts. He's a 30 yr old "slot" receiver on the last year of his deal, a 4th would be good value for him. He's a little to good to get a reasonable extension and not quite good enough to give up a large chunk of your available cap space. I think he still has another 3-4 years of really good play in him and I don't think he will see much of a decline as he continues to age, so ideally I would like to see the Lions extend him. I just don't see a world where the right value for the team and Tate's open market value will be close enough the two parties can make a good compromise. One side is going to have to get the wrong end of the deal for him to stay and if it's looking like the team has to take the hit then they should trade him now.


October 30th, 2018, 1:11 pm
Profile
Team MVP

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3283
Post Re: Tate a goner?
Tate to Philly. No details yet, i'll edit to update. *EDIT* it's a Third, not a 4th, so even better value.

As good as Tate has been, his attitude has been the downside. He's given up at times and that spreads. This will open things up for Golliday to have more playing time, and that actually opens things up for the running game and TE passing game more. Also opens cap space for a DE to actually get some pressure or a CB to improve the secondary.


October 30th, 2018, 1:47 pm
Profile
Team MVP

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3283
Post Re: Tate a goner?
He wasn't going to re-sign in the offseason, so getting a 3rd in 2019 is better than a later round comp pick in 2020. His touches were going down because of Golliday and if you want to use Golliday more, you don't keep Tate around when you can get value for him. This frees up over 9 million, not sure about the 9 million dead money cap hit. Let's just say it frees up a big chunk of change :)


October 30th, 2018, 1:58 pm
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9090
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Tate a goner?
3rd round pick. Can we get a 7th for Abdullah?


October 30th, 2018, 2:00 pm
Profile
Team MVP

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3283
Post Re: Tate a goner?
BillySims wrote:
3rd round pick. Can we get a 7th for Abdullah?


2 more hours until deadline, so possibly. Doubt anyone will offer one.


October 30th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Profile
Team MVP

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3283
Post Re: Tate a goner?
No more trades, but they restructured Marvin Jone's contract to free up another 2.2 million. So whatever we had before, we freed up an additional 11.5 million today.


October 30th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10994
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Tate a goner?
I’m a bit surprised considering they’re within reach of the division. Tate was their #1. No matter how much you love Golladay, Tate is consistent. Without Tate, they have a 1 dimensional Jones, an inconsistent Golladay, a no show (the other Jones), and a nobody (Powell). Are they going to put riddick in the slot?

I think a third is the best they could have done for a rental piece. Makes the cooper trade look hilarious for Dallas. Also, D Thomas was had for a 4th.

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


October 30th, 2018, 5:11 pm
Profile
Team MVP

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3283
Post Re: Tate a goner?
conversion02 wrote:
I’m a bit surprised considering they’re within reach of the division. Tate was their #1. No matter how much you love Golladay, Tate is consistent. Without Tate, they have a 1 dimensional Jones, an inconsistent Golladay, a no show (the other Jones), and a nobody (Powell). Are they going to put riddick in the slot?

I think a third is the best they could have done for a rental piece. Makes the cooper trade look hilarious for Dallas. Also, D Thomas was had for a 4th.


You can now have Golliday and Jones outside and have Riddick on the field as well as keep Johnson in as every down back, which is what he should be. You don't have to take him out to bring in Riddick now. That's just one option, but I'm sure the offense will be ok. Unless we can stop the run, the offense wouldn't make a difference.


October 30th, 2018, 5:23 pm
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5093
Location: WSU
Post Re: Tate a goner?
I was all about trading Tate in the offseason. He had a reasonable cap figure for this season and probably would have netted a 2nd round draft pick. Beyond that, the Lions could still compensate for his loss in the offseason by picking up a cheaper veteran wideout and have that player be the 3rd WR. Trading him during the season however is a difft story. As CO2 stated, the Lions are one game back in the division and yeah they came off a bad loss but they are 1-0 in the division and have 5 division games to go. Bob Quinn is again punting on yet another Lions season - this time before the decisive games against the division in this next 4-5 week stretch. What the Lions get back in return is $3.7m in cap savings this year that they can roll into next year (will Quinn even use that money?) and the difference bw a 2020 5th rd compensatory pick and a 2019 3rd pick. Remember on draft day, its pretty easy to pick up extra draft picks - move back a few picks in the 1st round and you can easily pick up another 3rd rd pick without flushing a season down the toilet. I d much rather see a move or two like that but this GM lacks creativity and knows that he has 5 years on his own deal. No pressure to win now. The best part is maybe the signal Bob Quinn is sending to end the confusion - that he thinks his Lions are more the team that lost to the doormat Jets and 49ers than the team that put away the Packers and Patriots.

Now if your Coach Patricia how do you make up for losing Tate during the season? Brandon Powell is one option but he s really more of a punt returner with little experience and the preseason showed little more than a talent for turning accurate throws into circus catches. Maybe there s more to him than that - but I dont see it. They called Jace Billingsley for a workout after having him for 3 years but he turned them down. With Kerryon Johnson and the offense looking more functional with Johnson as a 3 down player, my answer would be Theo Riddick. Im not convinced they have a TE who can help fill the void. While they can put more on Kenny Golladays plate him and Marvin Jones are similar players at this stage of there careers - more the long striders going down the field. No matter the plan, I think it takes at least a few weeks to transition and try out the few different ideas they have and by that time they ve likely dialed up a couple of divisional losses.

How could Quinn handle things to make this trade work out? Maybe go and get someone with talent that might have a chance. Corey Coleman is a talented young WR who has had injuries and mostly an unstable QB situation. He could be a guy that locks in cheap on a 2 year deal and if they can get him involved this year becomes a cheap asset for 2019. Sign him off the Giants practice squad. He might actually have a chance and if Powell beats him out, all the better. In the offseason use that $3.7m for something more worthwhile than money wasted on a few games of Sylvester Williams. IE try to use it to bring in some higher end talent for the defense. Swap out that 3rd rd pick for a future 2nd rd pick, or maybe use that and the bonus 6th or 7th to grab an extra 2nd rounder this year.


October 30th, 2018, 9:50 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2364
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Tate a goner?
Nice value for an 8 game rental. Glad to see a move being made that is all business with no sentimentality. Quinn has been effective in the 3rd round of the draft and they could really use a young talent at TE. Losing Tate is a noticeable loss for this season, but there are guys on the roster that can fill in adequately as a committee for that slot spot. TJ Jones was good last year and has filled in as the 3rd guy plenty of times since he was drafted, this season could improve for him with more playtime. This could also lead to some dual HB sets with Riddick and Johnson that could be interesting. I think Powell could turn out to be something now that he should be able to get game time against starting level players for the rest of the season. It also means he should be active and the Lions can avoid letting Abdullah ever carry the ball again.


October 31st, 2018, 1:28 am
Profile
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1494
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Tate a goner?
Don't get this at all.

Quinn's explicit reason for firing Caldwell and hiring Patricia: this roster's talent level is better than 9-7.

7 games later, and we're only 1 game out of first place, with a win in the division and 5 more divisional games to go, and Quinn has decided this roster's talent level is not sufficient for a playoff push and he needs to bail on the season and build for the future.

And saving $3.7m, and accelerating a pick 1 year, hardly feels like the sort of haul to give up on a season to me.

I can't see this as anything other than giving up on the season. Golladay's emergence is fantastic, and having 3 receivers of the calibre we had felt like a luxury even in the modern NFL, but the drop off from our 3rd best receiver to our 4th is huge. Maybe Powell is a genuine diamond in the rough, but I don't see Riddick or TJ or any of the TE's we have getting anywhere near replacing Tate's production and what he was able to do.


Away from all that, it's also worth saying what a super player Tate has been in Detroit. His ability to change direction and pace, and make defenders miss, was the best I think I have seen. He massively outperformed his contract, and is one of the best free agent signings the Lions have made IMO. I'll miss watching him each week.


October 31st, 2018, 8:48 am
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5093
Location: WSU
Post Re: Tate a goner?
rao wrote:
Nice value for an 8 game rental. Glad to see a move being made that is all business with no sentimentality. Quinn has been effective in the 3rd round of the draft and they could really use a young talent at TE. Losing Tate is a noticeable loss for this season, but there are guys on the roster that can fill in adequately as a committee for that slot spot. TJ Jones was good last year and has filled in as the 3rd guy plenty of times since he was drafted, this season could improve for him with more playtime. This could also lead to some dual HB sets with Riddick and Johnson that could be interesting. I think Powell could turn out to be something now that he should be able to get game time against starting level players for the rest of the season. It also means he should be active and the Lions can avoid letting Abdullah ever carry the ball again.


Its not sentimentality, Quinn is giving up on yet another season when his team is right there. Is he ever going to go for it? Its like he s striving for mediocrity and just hoping the Lions will "run into one" one of these years. Hopefully we will start seeing some chips go on the table.


October 31st, 2018, 9:04 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2364
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Tate a goner?
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
Nice value for an 8 game rental. Glad to see a move being made that is all business with no sentimentality. Quinn has been effective in the 3rd round of the draft and they could really use a young talent at TE. Losing Tate is a noticeable loss for this season, but there are guys on the roster that can fill in adequately as a committee for that slot spot. TJ Jones was good last year and has filled in as the 3rd guy plenty of times since he was drafted, this season could improve for him with more playtime. This could also lead to some dual HB sets with Riddick and Johnson that could be interesting. I think Powell could turn out to be something now that he should be able to get game time against starting level players for the rest of the season. It also means he should be active and the Lions can avoid letting Abdullah ever carry the ball again.


Its not sentimentality, Quinn is giving up on yet another season when his team is right there. Is he ever going to go for it? Its like he s striving for mediocrity and just hoping the Lions will "run into one" one of these years. Hopefully we will start seeing some chips go on the table.


They aren't giving up on the season, that's nonsense. Jones and Golladay will be more than enough to keep the passing game rolling, they don't need to run those 3 WR sets like they used to with KJ now on the roster. Tate has been the guy making up for their lack of a run game, but they have one now. Even with Tate this season they haven't been successful when the run game wasn't working.

Quinn put his chips on the table this year tagging Ansah and that went the way we all knew it would.


November 1st, 2018, 12:18 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.