View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 22nd, 2019, 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 So....you're telling me there's a chance. 
Varsity Captain

Post So....you're telling me there's a chance.
So what will it take for the Lions to miraculously snatch a postseason berth from the jaws of an early vacation? Let’s break down all the breaks the Lions would have to catch in order to do the near impossible.

First and foremost, Detroit is going to have to win all three of their remaining games. On deck? A chilly matchup against the 4-9 Buffalo Bills in their house. Then, it’s back to Ford Field for a matchup against the 6-6-1 Minnesota Vikings. And lastly, it’s a regular season finale against the 5-7-1 Green Bay Packers in Lambeau.

Even if the Motor City is able to run the table, they’ll still need a ton of help to get in the playoffs. Not only will the Lions need to beat the Vikings, but they’ll also need their divisional foe to lose to either the 7-6 Miami Dolphins this weekend or to the 9-4 Chicago Bears in Week 17 as well.

Detroit would also need both the Washington Redskins and the Philadelphia Eagles to lose two out of their next three contests. And they’ll need the Carolina Panthers, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the New York Giants to lose at least one game each before the end of the season.

:ppp:

Frok

December 16th, 2018, 2:59 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Re: So....you're telling me there's a chance.
why even bother going there? this team isnt good. its not like past teams where they missed the playoffs by a game or two and they had handfuls of games that they lost for stupid gaffes or questionable calls. this is simply a bad football team and they arent making the playoffs. even if all the other miracles fall into the place, the lions arent capable of taking care of there side of it.

December 16th, 2018, 1:13 pm
Junior Varsity

Well, we lost to the Bills. Can't say much when you lose the games that are supposed to show how much heart and pride you have as a player and coach. No disrespect to the Bills, but the Lions organization has completely deflated my interest in the NFL. I am sick of watching teams rise to the top, fall down due to attrition and normal re-builds, and then zoom past us again to the top. The Lions never change. Don't get your hopes up, because if you do, you will only be disappointed, yet again.

December 20th, 2018, 5:36 pm
3rd Round Selection

Tis the badge of honor you wear as a Lions fan.

Was watching a short clip on YouTube in which Mark Schlerif (sp) pointed out that there are only about 12 teams that really want to field a winning football team. According to him, all the rest are simply seeking a pay day. If this is true the question before us is do we believe the Lions are part of those that seek championships or merely those satisfied with revenue alone?

I want to believe that since Martha took over the Lions are finally trending towards a championship goal. WCF let Russ Thomas run the team and Thomas was never about winning, just in stringing fans along. He taught Chuck Schmidt and Junior learned from both Thomas and Schmidt. Lewand was Schmidt's understudy. Junior convinced his dad to bring in Millen to run the team and Jr thought he'd have behind the scenes control until he found out Millen didn't play that game. Jr then set about undermining Millen and Millen probably didn't need the help. I am certain that it wasn't a coincidence that Martha kicked Jr to the sidelines from the moment she took ownership.

The trouble I have is really with the media covering the team. They went after Patricia from the start with the 20 year old sexual assault allegation and kept the headline at the top of their sports section forever it seemed. Someone at the News/Freep seems to have an agenda. So I have tended towards getting info from Mlive and about all I hear is the Lions traded Tate and the season went south, yada, yada, yada. Oh yeah, and the team lacks talent. It's B.S. that is easy journalism. Every year find a scapegoat and whine about talent.

If you are that dependent on a single player to make your offense go you have more problems than that one player and it isn't talent. These players didn't have the talent sucked out of them the moment they were drafted or signed by the Lions. Yeah, there is different levels of talent on the roster and the depth chart is set the way it is for a reason, partly due to talent, but mostly it is about mistakes. How often have we seen the Lions shoot themselves in the foot? The games often come down to about 5 or 6 plays that make the biggest differences and they are almost never about talent. You brought up the Bills game and there was a botched PAT snap, and offsides by Davis, the lame pass to Blount and the big play td pass that was a coverage mistake. Those were not talent issues!

Marinelli pointed out that he could alter the way he coached to get wins sooner, but they were unsustainable wins. You can't always get the favorable match ups and when pressure mounts the lack of fundamental kills. I believe we watched it since Millen was fired and Marinelli became a lame duck with Mayhew calling the shots. I believe Patricia is trying to do what Marinelli tried to do and what the top tier teams have already done. But that is me.

December 21st, 2018, 11:26 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Jafo wrote:

Was watching a short clip on YouTube in which Mark Schlerif (sp) pointed out that there are only about 12 teams that really want to field a winning football team. According to him, all the rest are simply seeking a pay day. If this is true the question before us is do we believe the Lions are part of those that seek championships or merely those satisfied with revenue alone?

I want to believe that since Martha took over the Lions are finally trending towards a championship goal. WCF let Russ Thomas run the team and Thomas was never about winning, just in stringing fans along. He taught Chuck Schmidt and Junior learned from both Thomas and Schmidt. Lewand was Schmidt's understudy. Junior convinced his dad to bring in Millen to run the team and Jr thought he'd have behind the scenes control until he found out Millen didn't play that game. Jr then set about undermining Millen and Millen probably didn't need the help. I am certain that it wasn't a coincidence that Martha kicked Jr to the sidelines from the moment she took ownership.

The trouble I have is really with the media covering the team. They went after Patricia from the start with the 20 year old sexual assault allegation and kept the headline at the top of their sports section forever it seemed. Someone at the News/Freep seems to have an agenda. So I have tended towards getting info from Mlive and about all I hear is the Lions traded Tate and the season went south, yada, yada, yada. Oh yeah, and the team lacks talent. It's B.S. that is easy journalism. Every year find a scapegoat and whine about talent.

If you are that dependent on a single player to make your offense go you have more problems than that one player and it isn't talent. These players didn't have the talent sucked out of them the moment they were drafted or signed by the Lions. Yeah, there is different levels of talent on the roster and the depth chart is set the way it is for a reason, partly due to talent, but mostly it is about mistakes. How often have we seen the Lions shoot themselves in the foot? The games often come down to about 5 or 6 plays that make the biggest differences and they are almost never about talent. You brought up the Bills game and there was a botched PAT snap, and offsides by Davis, the lame pass to Blount and the big play td pass that was a coverage mistake. Those were not talent issues!

Marinelli pointed out that he could alter the way he coached to get wins sooner, but they were unsustainable wins. You can't always get the favorable match ups and when pressure mounts the lack of fundamental kills. I believe we watched it since Millen was fired and Marinelli became a lame duck with Mayhew calling the shots. I believe Patricia is trying to do what Marinelli tried to do and what the top tier teams have already done. But that is me.

i honestly might have no idea what you are saying but i dont think the ownership at any time has wanted the team to just string along fans. winning is hard and they want to win but when they re not winning they still need fans to be interested and show up or else your team is moving somewhere else. all the stuff about inner family ford dynamics to me is just speculation - william clay ford jr is doing a lot with the car company so that might be your reason rather than his 90 something year old mom kicking him to the sidelines bc of undermining. Millen sucked for 8 years and WCF was going to keep the ship rolling with him, someone needed to speak up when it was obvious after 3-4 years that Millen wasnt ever going to work. Thats different than undermining.

The media isnt causing wins and losses in the lockerroom. They ve clearly frustrated Caldwell and Patricia at times while Schwartz had a better relationship with them. I dont think the Lions lost to the Rams because Patricia was still chapped about the article bringing up his sexual assault charge. Knowing that was in his history, he might have backed away from more media intense markets like the NY Giants where he was a top choice bc he was more fearful they would dig further into that. A lot of fans seem to brush that sex assault charge to the side but if the Lions ever do right the ship and head into a 2 week Super Bowl preparation that sex assault thing is going to come up again and it ll be easy money for the first media outlet that puts something out there with the accuser s side of the story. That will get a lot of reads and could undermine the Lions at the wrong time.

If a couple mental errors make the difference in winning or losing with the Bills that tells you your talent level is low. They didnt lost because of one offsides penatly or one missed coverage, they lost because they were not substantially better than the Bills in any meaningful way. They dont have a strength that can impose its will on an opponent and the Bills front dominated the Lions offensive line and front. The Lions lack talent.

Sorry, Bob Quinn, but you have to make the team better and slapping singles in the draft is nice if you are filling the roster with talent in FA but if you refuse to pay up for the better talent than you have to take chances in the draft. Bob Quinn s formula is a formula for mediocrity and we ll see if it changes much this year. Quinn s draft this year was actually a major accomplishment but his planning and shaping of the roster prior to that was so bad that it still left us with this 5-6 win team despite the draft. Quinn needs to have better foresight and creativity. If he s only going to play in the draft than he needs to get more picks, more trading back than trading up and also taking some gambles at times on explosive athletes. If someone s going in to a walk year dont trade him midseason and throw up the white flags, trade him for more prior to the season when you have a chance to replace him. Bruce Ellington cant be the focal point of your passing game when you re trying to run the table.

No idea what you are talking about with Marinelli, Patricia and picking spots to win. Not sure what you are comparing or saying either was doing.

December 22nd, 2018, 9:57 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Jafo wrote:

i honestly might have no idea what you are saying but i dont think the ownership at any time has wanted the team to just string along fans. winning is hard and they want to win but when they re not winning they still need fans to be interested and show up or else your team is moving somewhere else. all the stuff about inner family ford dynamics to me is just speculation - william clay ford jr is doing a lot with the car company so that might be your reason rather than his 90 something year old mom kicking him to the sidelines bc of undermining. Millen sucked for 8 years and WCF was going to keep the ship rolling with him, someone needed to speak up when it was obvious after 3-4 years that Millen wasnt ever going to work. Thats different than undermining.

The media isnt causing wins and losses in the lockerroom. They ve clearly frustrated Caldwell and Patricia at times while Schwartz had a better relationship with them. I dont think the Lions lost to the Rams because Patricia was still chapped about the article bringing up his sexual assault charge. Knowing that was in his history, he might have backed away from more media intense markets like the NY Giants where he was a top choice bc he was more fearful they would dig further into that. A lot of fans seem to brush that sex assault charge to the side but if the Lions ever do right the ship and head into a 2 week Super Bowl preparation that sex assault thing is going to come up again and it ll be easy money for the first media outlet that puts something out there with the accuser s side of the story. That will get a lot of reads and could undermine the Lions at the wrong time.

If a couple mental errors make the difference in winning or losing with the Bills that tells you your talent level is low. They didnt lost because of one offsides penatly or one missed coverage, they lost because they were not substantially better than the Bills in any meaningful way. They dont have a strength that can impose its will on an opponent and the Bills front dominated the Lions offensive line and front. The Lions lack talent.

Sorry, Bob Quinn, but you have to make the team better and slapping singles in the draft is nice if you are filling the roster with talent in FA but if you refuse to pay up for the better talent than you have to take chances in the draft. Bob Quinn s formula is a formula for mediocrity and we ll see if it changes much this year. Quinn s draft this year was actually a major accomplishment but his planning and shaping of the roster prior to that was so bad that it still left us with this 5-6 win team despite the draft. Quinn needs to have better foresight and creativity. If he s only going to play in the draft than he needs to get more picks, more trading back than trading up and also taking some gambles at times on explosive athletes. If someone s going in to a walk year dont trade him midseason and throw up the white flags, trade him for more prior to the season when you have a chance to replace him. Bruce Ellington cant be the focal point of your passing game when you re trying to run the table.

No idea what you are talking about with Marinelli, Patricia and picking spots to win. Not sure what you are comparing or saying either was doing.

December 22nd, 2018, 9:57 am
Junior Varsity

I refuse to pay Sunday Ticket to watch these Lions, so all I get down here are the Colts and the Bengals. I say that because I saw very little of Lions play this year, so I am not really able to criticize or support any deeper than surface level.
Having said that, I'd like to think there is some method to Patricia's rebuild. Clearly, his first year adjustments either exposed a weak infrastructure or demonstrated he doesn't know what he is doing. I think one more year will tell. Can't take your money down from this bet now, so no choice but to let it ride.
All this stuff about sell the team, or it's all Stafford's fault, or we should have kept Quinn, or we never should have left Briggs stadium, it's all bunk. Even though the results are the same, the problems we have now with this team are not the same as they were under Chuck Schmidt, Monty Clark, Wayne Fontes, or whoever. To me, the common thread is lack of team. We overpay certain positions which inhibits our ability to pay other positions, thus, we build a team combining mediocre with poor and get mad when we don't win championships. How much is it worth to each and every Lions player to win a championship? How much are you, the player, willing to give up so it increases the talent level of the guy next to you? So far, the answer is nothing. I know a few years back, Brady gave up money to put back toward the cap.
Let's face it, the elements that bring a championship football team together have eluded Detroit for many years. It starts with team, from top to bottom.

December 24th, 2018, 10:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]