View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 17th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Is Kevin Jones the Real Deal!? :Discuss: 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Is Kevin Jones the Real Deal!? :Discuss:
Do you feel like Kevin Jones can be an every down back, and is the next Billy Simms or Barry Sanders in terms of production for the detroit Lions?

Does he have:

1. The speed
2. The vision
3. The moves
4. The size
5. The durability
6. The Hands
7. The Elusiveness
8. The quickness
9. The blocking
10. The jumping ability (to get over the goalline in 3rd in short)

I dont know how acurrate these numbers are but Im definitely a numbers cruncher so I like to have as many of them as possible.. this was from nfl.com

AGILITY TESTS
4.38 in the 40-yard dash ... 360-pound bench press ... 560-pound squat ... 41?-inch vertical jump (school record for running backs) ... 6.7 in the 60-meters ... 10.2 100-meters and 21.2 200-meters ... Iron Hokie Award (top performer in the weight room) winner.

Height: 5'11"
weight: 221

He played 15 games last season with 241 attempts, 1133 yards (4.7 average)per attempt (75.5 average)per game, he had 5 touch downs and 1 fumble

Do you think the latter half of last season was a fluke, or a sign of good things to come?

June 15th, 2005, 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

5. Durabitily- Was injured, and someone here says his running style will get him injured.

6. The Hands- 28 receptions for 180 yards and 1 td. Hopefully he will improve on that.

9. Blocking- He has probably improved on this since beginning his rookie season

10. The jumping ability (to get over the goalline in 3rd in short)- We just haven't been able to see that so far, so he may have it.

I think that KingJones will be the next franchise back for us, and will be tops in the league for years, but thats just my opinion. He had 626 yards in his final 5 games. If you extrapplate that to a season, that is 2003.2 yards. Thats just his rookie season. :shock:

June 15th, 2005, 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

. If you extrapplate that to a season, that is 2003.2 yards. Thats just his rookie season. :shock:

extrappelating is cool 8) j/k

I have heard that his running style will get him hurt as well, but just from memory he always seemed to get every last inch out of a run, and get tackled Gracefully... He always bounced right back up... I Love his running style myself

June 15th, 2005, 10:53 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think the statement that his running style lends towards injuries is crap. Jones isn't a Barry Sanders (who is?), but he is certainly in the mold of being an elite running back. Should he continue to improve in receiving and blocking, then he will be remarkable to watch. I would certainly put him up there with Ahman Green and Shaun Alexander.

June 15th, 2005, 11:51 am
ST Coordinator – Joe Marciano

Good thread Ferris. I agree with BS and would just underscore injury. He has already been dinged often. This is no fluke but a product of how he runs. Also, he seems a risk for catastrophic injury. Additionally, like A. Green, whose style he most resembles, he will slow down as injuries accumulate. I love the guy, but I wonder if he will ever play for another contract? Acquiring a fill in who can capably start in his absence is crucial. White may be ideal in spread formations. Pinner is probably the only guy capable of being a workhorse. The skills of our backfield is not entirely complimentary in the sense that we do not have a great KJ back up option. Anyway, if KJ stays healthy he will put up monster numbers. I say this because of the adjustments he made in the second half and because the adjustments the offense make could potentially benefit him while Mooch remains committed to the run.

June 15th, 2005, 12:25 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

This is no fluke but a product of how he runs. Also, he seems a risk for catastrophic injury. Additionally, like A. Green, whose style he most resembles, he will slow down as injuries accumulate.

What do you mean by that Yorick? You must have been the one I was thinking of in my first post.

June 15th, 2005, 12:29 pm
Profile WWW

KJ is a powerback, which means that he runs through tackles. Obviously he is not a pure power back in that he can also make people miss. But when he runs at people high he will take hits which cause dings and can cause pops. Bruises will be regular fare for him since every game he takes and delivers hard hits. That means that he will run at less than 100% effectiveness. A pop is just something that will happen with a bad break or bad luck. The backs that make guys miss seem to have the most longevity in the NFL, especially if they are not dependent on acceleration or quickness. The great powerbacks have at most 5-6 good years. So historically, speaking that is the best case scenario for KJ. He plays out is first contract without major injury.

June 15th, 2005, 3:29 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

360 pound bench press
new_shocked.gif

Wow, that's almost what I bench. :^o

June 15th, 2005, 6:50 pm
Towel Boy

KJ is for real, and he's going to dish out a ton of pain before he slows down. :twisted: [/img]

June 15th, 2005, 11:10 pm
Pro Bowl Player

KJ is for real, and he's going to dish out a ton of pain before he slows down. :twisted: [/img]

I agree, thats what I love about him, he does NOT care if its Ray Lewis, He wont back down from anybody!, Though Ray got the best of him the last time he seen him!

June 19th, 2005, 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Yes :wink:

June 19th, 2005, 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

I will just answer:

Yes :wink:

thats way too logical alpha :roll: not fair :D

June 19th, 2005, 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

KJ is a powerback, which means that he runs through tackles. Obviously he is not a pure power back in that he can also make people miss. But when he runs at people high he will take hits which cause dings and can cause pops. Bruises will be regular fare for him since every game he takes and delivers hard hits. That means that he will run at less than 100% effectiveness. A pop is just something that will happen with a bad break or bad luck. The backs that make guys miss seem to have the most longevity in the NFL, especially if they are not dependent on acceleration or quickness. The great powerbacks have at most 5-6 good years. So historically, speaking that is the best case scenario for KJ. He plays out is first contract without major injury.

I remember another back who played the same way (2nd best back in his era) Emmit Smith. He was always banged up because of the abuse he was taking (and giving) but he lasted a couple of years in the league.

June 20th, 2005, 8:31 am

Emitt ran much lower to the ground and was more shifty, but yeah, I would take a career like that. I am not counting my chickens, however.

June 20th, 2005, 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]