View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 15th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 McQuarters and the Lions improving secondary 
Pro Bowl Player

Post McQuarters and the Lions improving secondary
http://usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/lions/home.htm

Inside Slant
It's one of Matt Millen's pet sayings: "You can never get too many good defensive backs." And he's giving the phrase more than lip service.
The addition of seven-year veteran cornerback R.W. McQuarters is the fourth major move Millen has made in the past three seasons to shore up the Lions defensive secondary.

It started with cornerback Dre' Bly, who was acquired as an unrestricted free agent in 2003. Bly has earned Pro Bowl honors in both years with the Lions.

Millen added cornerback Fernando Bryant, also by the free agent route, a year ago but didn't have quite the same luck. Bryant was hampered by an ankle injury, was limited in his effectiveness and missed much of the second half of the season.

In the past four months, Millen has made two more free agent moves - landing strong safety Kenoy Kennedy in the early days of free agency in March and, more recently, convinced McQuarters to accept a one-year, $1.6 million contract to join the Lions.

There is still a question as to how the Lions plan to use the versatile McQuarters when they get into the NFL season.

He almost certainly will get a chance to compete with Bryant for a starting cornerback job and Millen knows McQuarters could be effective as a nickel back. Because McQuarters has experience at free safety there is another scenario that isn't getting a lot of discussion.

It has been assumed that third-year player Terrence Holt would be the successor to Brock Marion at free safety but coach Steve Mariucci and defensive coordinator Dick Jauron have seemed at times to have reservations about turning the job over to Holt.

If Bly and Bryant look solid at the corners, there is a possibility McQuarters will join Holt in the competition for the free safety position.

Either way, the Lions look stronger in the secondary than they have been in recent years.

Last edited by Ferris on June 21st, 2005, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 21st, 2005, 12:47 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=c ... type=story

With the addition of seven-year veteran R.W. McQuarters to the roster, the Lions will go to training camp next month assured of stiff competition at the cornerback position.

With the addition of seven-year veteran R.W. McQuarters to the roster, the Lions will go to training camp next month assured of stiff competition at the cornerback position.

The roster will include 10 cornerbacks. Five of them have started at one time or another in the NFL and another three are young players the Lions feel can develop into capable players.

At the top of the list are two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Dre' Bly , McQuarters and Fernando Bryant , who was signed by the Lions as an unrestricted free agent a year ago but missed much of the 2004 season with an ankle injury.

Next in line are Andre Goodman and Chris Cash , three year veterans drafted in 2002 who have had limited success - in part because of injury problems.

Keith Smith , a third-round pick in the 2004 draft, made a good impression as a rookie and is almost certain to make the roster; Stanley Wilson , this year's third-round pick, has excellent speed and promising coverage ability; and Michael Echols, a third-year player plucked from Minnesota's practice squad late last season.

Jeff Sanchez , who played in NFL Europe this spring, and undrafted rookie Brandon Payne of New Mexico, have their work cut out for them just to get consideration for the practice squad.

The Lions also added veteran strong safety Kenoy Kennedy , an unrestricted free agent from Denver, to the secondary.

"This is the best our defensive backs have looked in a long time," said Lions president Matt Millen.

June 21st, 2005, 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Megatron

Good reads, thanks. I can't say it enough - I can't wait for the season to start!!!

Go Lions!!!

June 21st, 2005, 8:56 am
RIP Killer

Jeff Sanchez , who played in NFL Europe this spring, and undrafted rookie Brandon Payne of New Mexico, have their work cut out for them just to get consideration for the practice squad.

Sanchez looked really good in NFLE this last season...

June 21st, 2005, 9:00 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Remeber all those old guys we had in our secondary? It was embarassing. :oops:

June 21st, 2005, 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

I have high hopes for our secondary, and besides,,,, we have soo many players between 24-29, we could be contenders for the next few years

qshatter.gif

June 21st, 2005, 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Joe Marciano

Obviously not everyone will make the team. If Millen is smart he will be thinking about potential trade partners to recoup the picks we traded away.

KC figures to be a potential partner. They are desperate for secondary help after drafting DJ and losing Battle.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/KC/8578504

We have a history of trading with Vermeil. I think Goodman would be the most tradeable commodity, otherwise Cash has an uphill climb.

June 21st, 2005, 2:15 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

It wasn't embarrassing when Otis Smith layed that hit on Marc Bulger, sending him out of the game and Warner out of retirement...

The O-Man!

June 21st, 2005, 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I don't know, they keep adding guys, but I'm not as enthusiastic as everyone else, media included.

I do like the Kennedy signing. I would've loved Darius, but KK isn't too far behind Double D. The Stanley Wilson pick was shocking. But when I think of McQuarters... I think of the bears. How's that supposed to excite me? And then I think of Roy Williams spectacular catch part I... and R.W. being posterized.

The secondary would've aroused me more if we drafted a guy like Antrel Rolle.

June 21st, 2005, 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

Post covered
2/3's of the earth is covered by water the rest is covered by Dre Bly, R.W. Mcquaters, and Fernando Bryant!!!!!

June 21st, 2005, 10:25 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

I don't know, they keep adding guys, but I'm not as enthusiastic as everyone else, media included.

I do like the Kennedy signing. I would've loved Darius, but KK isn't too far behind Double D. The Stanley Wilson pick was shocking. But when I think of McQuarters... I think of the bears. How's that supposed to excite me? And then I think of Roy Williams spectacular catch part I... and R.W. being posterized.

Soooooo true.

It's like you have to think of this as the off-season that could have been.

OG - could have got Rivera, got DeMulling
SS - could have got Darius, got Kennedy
QB - could have got Warner/Johnson, got Garcia
WR - could have got Bradford, got Johnson
draft - could have got Johnson, got Williams

I mean, it's not that these moves were bad at all, or that the other option were better, but looking back, you never know.

June 21st, 2005, 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I personally like the Johnson signing much better than Bradford.

Garcia works and Warner would have been my top choice. Garcia over Johnson IMO.

Rivera or Wahle...both are better than DeMulling, agreed.

Darius...I don't think we could have gotten him. I would much rather have Shaun Cody (we would have had to give up our 2nd to get DD) and KK over just DD.

June 22nd, 2005, 12:06 am
ST Coordinator – Joe Marciano

"OG - could have got Rivera, got DeMulling
draft - could have got Johnson, got Williams "

The one misleading thing about that though is that we saved bundles on the second column guys. De Mulling got almost a third of what Riveria got, Kennedy works for about half of what Darius makes, Garcia gets half of Warner's salary I believe, Johnson gets the veteran minimum. In other words Riveria's deal just about adds up to every other guy on the other side of the ledger. The draftpicks are a wash. Now, I do agree that McQ is not flashy, but he is valuable in terms of his versatility. We need depth at KR, CB, and S. He fills all those slots. That is very significant especially if you look at keeping younger prospects. Hopefully we got a Patriot style bang for our buck. We'll see. I certainly do not believe that Riveria is worth 6 million and that Darius is worth 5 million.

June 22nd, 2005, 12:08 am
NFL Team Captain

Who knows if Rivera's surgically repaired back will even last through the first year of his massive contract. That is a big injury for a lineman. Maybe we dodge a bullet with him signing with Pablo's team.

Wahle would have been a great pick-up but not at the price he signed for, I think we will get alot more bang for our buck with DeMulling.

I would love to have Darius in our secondary but see above.

Sign Law or Schulters and we will be fine. JMO

June 22nd, 2005, 12:29 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: covered
sleezye wrote:
2/3's of the earth is covered by water the rest is covered by Dre Bly, R.W. Mcquaters, and Fernando Bryant!!!!!

Great line Sleezye!!

Honolulu_Blue wrote:

... But when I think of McQuarters... I think of the bears. How's that supposed to excite me? ...

HB,

That's like saying... 'When I think of Rebecca Romjin - I think of John Stamos'.

I have to tell you. That don't happen!! I'm excited just typing her name.

After a few games you'll be thinking of McQ as a Lion fixture and wondering how we can extend his contract.

Brian wrote:

Soooooo true.

It's like you have to think of this as the off-season that could have been.

OG - could have got Rivera, got DeMulling
draft - could have got Johnson, got Williams

I mean, it's not that these moves were bad at all, or that the other option were better, but looking back, you never know.

Brian,

Given Rivera's back surgery (10 seconds after signing w/ Dallas) and the money saved by siging the guys we got I think we did very well. I'm with Yorick on this. If we'd have signed Warner it would have killed off 2 others on our list. I will agree about the draft - Both 1st and 2nd round - But overall I think Millen did a good job this off season.

June 22nd, 2005, 5:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next