View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 17th, 2018, 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 McQuarters and the Lions improving secondary 
NFL Team Captain

Brian needs to grt his mind back on football and off my lady! :wink:

June 22nd, 2005, 8:14 am
Megatron

Post Re: covered
sleezye wrote:
2/3's of the earth is covered by water the rest is covered by Dre Bly, R.W. Mcquaters, and Fernando Bryant!!!!!

Gotta love it!!! headbang.gif

Quote:
But when I think of McQuarters... I think of the bears. How's that supposed to excite me?
Um, remember Mark Carrier???? Didn't he play for Da Bears before coming to Detroit........

June 22nd, 2005, 10:41 am
RIP Killer

I agree that I would have like to see Darius in a Lions uniform, but both the Jaguars and Darius wanted too much. The Jags wanted more than a third round pick (they were angling for our first rounder) and Darius wanted to be the highest paid safety (or close to it) in the NFL. Kennedy is younger and comes much cheaper, allowing us to sign other players. I would like to see us make an offer to Shulters to strengthen our depth at safety. I think if we do some maneuvering with the roster, they could sign him if he's not asking for the moon.

Looking at how the roster has changed, I grade the moves individually based on who has departed and who replaced that player:

REMOVED: REPLACED BY: SCORE:
Az Hakim Mike Williams A
Tai Streets Kevin Johnson A-
Matt Joyce Rick Demulling B+
Andre Goodman R.W. McQuarters B+
Brock Marion Kenoy Kennedy B+
Kelvin Pritchett Shaun Cody B
Steven Alexander Marcus Pollard B
Rick Mirer Dan Orlovsky B-
Mike McMahon Jeff Garcia B-
Chris Cash Stanley Wilson N/A
Stockar McDougle Kelly Butler N/A

Based on all of this, the Lions roster has definitely improved. It's tough to say 'we could have had Rivera or Wahle or Warner'. None of them seemed interested in coming here, and I'm sure the Lions made calls to their agents. The only real position that got downgraded was the right offensive tackle spot. Although McDougle deserved the criticism he got, I don't know that Butler or Kosier will be better than him. Same thing with Wilson over Cash. The injury to Chris may have hampered him last year and may not have been fully healed. Prior to that injury, Cash was an excellent corner. If he can return to form, he may displace Wilson and Stanley may be headed to the practice squad. Goodman is as good as gone.

June 22nd, 2005, 1:47 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

This is the only grade i disagree with Mike. This should be an A just for the fact Pollard is a great locker room presence. Also, he does not drop passes in his hands! Just wish we would have picked up a project TE in the draft. I think Alex Lewis is going to be good. I don't have much faith in Fitzsimmons as our future at TE.

Tim

June 22nd, 2005, 2:58 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:

This is the only grade i disagree with Mike. This should be an A just for the fact Pollard is a great locker room presence. Also, he does not drop passes in his hands! Just wish we would have picked up a project TE in the draft. I think Alex Lewis is going to be good. I don't have much faith in Fitzsimmons as our future at TE.

The only reason for that grade NOT being an A is because Pollard is 33 years old. I agree with every thing you said about his locker room presence, and I also feel he will catch the ball better.

I, too, was disappointed the Lions weren't able to come away with a tight end in this years draft. I think they could have. Jason Randall may make this ball club given the reports I've heard. As for Fitzsimmons, I think he is a great pass catcher but gets overmatched in his blocking assignments. He also lacks the ideal speed to stretch the field. But as a second tight end I think he is better than most will admit to.

June 22nd, 2005, 3:12 pm
NFL Veteran

Look, I'm not the eternal cynic of a Lion fan... but I temper my enthusiasm for these otherwise mediocre moves. I try to objectively see how they add to the team and I understand that it's for the long haul for the superbowl. Millen is taking into consideration what has continually bit him in the rear the past few years. And that's warm bodies dropping like flies.

I wouldn't get so out of hand as to say our secondary can now blanket the earth... you could maybe say so for the Ravens. That's a secondary to get igasms for.

But take these moves for what they're worth. They are absolutely necessary in the grand scheme of things... but not the blockbuster deals some of you make it out to be.

June 23rd, 2005, 1:28 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

This is somewhat anti climactical but it is now official.

Quote:
McQuarters signs one-year deal, joins former coaches

June 23, 2005

Cornerback R.W. McQuarters signed a one-year contract with the Lions on Wednesday and -- in the process -- rejoined two of his former head coaches.

Lions coach Steve Mariucci was the coach in San Francisco when the 49ers made McQuarters their first pick (28th overall) in the 1998 draft. After he was traded to Chicago in 2000, he played four more seasons under Dick Jauron, now the Lions' defensive coordinator.

McQuarters' projected role with the Lions is uncertain. He is experienced at both cornerback positions, has played the nickel and dime positions, and played free safety for part of the past season with the Bears.

The Bears released McQuarters, in part, for salary cap reasons. His deal with the Lions is believed to be worth $1.6 million.

By Curt Sylvester

But based on everything that's happened I agree with M2K that the talent (as well as depth) of this team is improved. In fact, I would go as far to say vastly improved!

I do still have concerns at the RT and DE positions and hopefully some things will happen to shore those spots up.

June 23rd, 2005, 6:06 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Fellahs. Meet RW McQuarters...

That was a very atheletic catch, I don't know what he could have done to keep a talent like Roy from making it. That could very well be Champ instead of RW.

June 23rd, 2005, 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

RW isn't slotted to be our #1 CB and there aren't too many Roy Williams types receivers out there that could have made that catch anyways (and of the few there are we have 3 of them). I think RW makes very nice depth and who knows he might even push Bryant for that #2 spot.

June 23rd, 2005, 11:29 am
ST Coordinator – Joe Marciano

Awesome HB. I think ten years from now many Pro Bowl QBs will be telling their grand kids about how they got killed by the king of the grid-iron.

June 23rd, 2005, 12:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2