View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 6:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Tony tony tony... 
Site Admin

Post Tony tony tony...
Quote:
Harrington responds to Siragusa
During the Fox telecast of the game, sideline reporter Tony Siragusa told the crew in the booth, Daryl Johnston and Dick Stockton, that Joey Harrington was a little too sophisticated for his tastes, and the next day Harrington fired back.

Tony Siragusa: "He seems a little different than what I expected. I thought he went... and was a little bit too overconfident in the meeting. Just a different kind of guy. Not a meat-and-potato guy, but a very sophisticated man. That's as much as I can go into right now, Dick."
Darly Johnston: "More champagne and caviar than meat and potatoes?"
Siragusa: "Yeah! I wouldn't see him going out and ordering a beer anytime soon, to tell you the truth.
Dick Stockton: "In other words, he may not be your kind of guy?"
Siragusa: "Nah, he's the kind of guy who's on the other side of the club than I am. He's over there with the champagne and the caviar, and also the strawberries and chocolate."
Stockton: "Yeah, we get the idea."

Tony Ortiz, the Lions insider on Team 1270 AM, talked with Harrington on Monday about Siragusa's comments. Below is a transcript of what Harrington said in the audio clip played on the air.

"I'm not his kind of guy, why? Because I was cordial in the production meeting? Because I try to be articulate? Because I smile when I play? Because I enjoy myself out there? Because I'm not a billy badass?

"I was raised a certain way. I was raised to be polite. I was raised to look someone in the eye, and when they ask you a question then you answer it. If he's got a problem with the way I play, then go ahead and say it.

"If he looks at how I play I don't think he'd be making those comments. If he looks at how I work, I don't think he'd be making those comments. If he came to the parking lot and checked to see whose car is the last one out of here every day, would he be making those comments.

"It's nice playing in front of the best linebacker in the history of the game, isn't it?

"If that's his insult, then that doesn't say a whole lot for himself. If he says I'm sophisticated and articulate, then boy, that hurts. That really stings."

September 28th, 2004, 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

That is why players need to stay out of the booth.

September 28th, 2004, 2:55 pm
Site Admin

I know it's joked about but to make fun of someone or come across so suprised because someone is articulate and to go on about it makes Tony seem like a complete dufuss :roll:

September 28th, 2004, 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I didn't think it was that big of a deal at all. It was just a kind of comment that said maybe Harrington is a little to rich and sophisticated for Siragusa's liking. It's been blown out of porportion by the media, but what isn't? I was watching the news and someone was talking about how in a sense he was calling Harrington gay, although I don't have a clue where they got that from.

Harrington is kind of an odd-ball, IMO. But if he wins games, I don't care if he has the personality of say, Ryan Leaf. On field is what counts.

September 28th, 2004, 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]