View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 3:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Encouraging, pumped............but cautious 
Cheerleader

Post Encouraging, pumped............but cautious
obviously this team is on the way up......from the ownership, to millen (finally), to mooch (gotta love his enthusiaum), to jauron (he can concentrate on defense only), etc......to all those who sucked it up over the years and stayed with this team, i applaud you......BUT........as we all know we have a LONG, LONG way to go......this defense is getting better every week and with bly coming back, it's going to get even better ( i cannot wait for boss to come back, as well)......i hope jauron continues to slowly trust these guys to fly all over the field.......especially the linebackers......defense win championship, as we all should know.........my biggest problem with this team is with the offense........they've got to open it up much, much more.....they must commit a game plan to the run, right, wrong or indifferent.....if this team can develop a running game by week 10, then watch out.......mooch is too, too, too cautious with joey and it's about time to open it up........it will only help the running game........and then i'll be confident heading into the playoffs and less cautious........let's take care of business this weekend against the pack and then go kick the giants rectum on the road.......

October 13th, 2004, 5:27 pm
RIP Killer

Great post! I think you sum up how most Lions fans are feeling right now. Excellent summary and one of the best post I have ever read on Lionbacker. Really glad to have you on board.

GO RED SOX!
GO LIONS!

October 13th, 2004, 5:45 pm
Profile WWW
All State

very good points. i keep hearing that the lions need to open up the offense more but at the same time the lions are winning games because they keep winning the turnover battle. does opening up the offense = more turnovers?

October 13th, 2004, 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

just remember the 6-0 "Barry Who?" season...that went bad quickly

...butt ( )( ) I have to say this team compares favorably to that team in youth and skills IMO.

October 14th, 2004, 9:59 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

As far as opening up the offense, Mooch had a number of encouraging quotes this week that demonstrates his understanding of the need to "open" things up more:

Mooch stated, "there are a lot of things to be happy with, to build on," he said on Monday. "I would like to get faster on offense -- we need more explosive-type plays. We need to put more points on the board. We will (soon) face some teams that can score a lot of points; so, we have to be able to match that kind of production."

"We've got to get to the point where we can...throw the ball down the field, intermediate, short and long (routes) when we choose to do it," Mariucci says. "We've been very efficient in the passing game but not explosive -- not the 30- to 40-yard plays that you'd like to get once in a while for a variety of reasons.

"That's going to come as we get better, playing with each other with this new supporting cast with Joey (Harrington)," he says. "I sense that is coming."

We hope your senses are right Mooch!

October 14th, 2004, 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Cheerleader

i read that earlier in the week, as well......believe me, i realize he's well aware of this teams offensive deficiencies, especially on third down, which is pathetic.......slow but sure this offense will continue to gel, while the DEFENSE continue's to lead the way (as it should be)......looking forward to the game this sunday, the place is going to be rocking, not since the days of sanders........NOTE: Favre has only been sacked three times this year. I'd like to see that doubled, at least.....

October 14th, 2004, 11:24 am
RIP Killer

I believe they record six sacks on Michael "you'll never catch me" Vick. Favre will go down a number of times and throw a couple of picks as well. Green makes me nervous but other than that I think the Lions defense should make another statement.

October 14th, 2004, 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I would say my biggest concern is Jauron and his lack of calling blitzes on defense. It WILL catch up to us eventually, and it will hurt us against the better offensive lines (such as Green Bay). Also, we really need to open holes for our HBs. And go downfield more.

October 14th, 2004, 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]