View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Scouts Inc. Preview Lions @ Giants 
QB Coach

Post Scouts Inc. Preview Lions @ Giants
Lions at Giants

Insider Preview: Lions at Giants
Scouts Inc.

Why To Watch
This game will be a good measuring stick for the Lions and Giants, as both teams are off to strong starts. Detroit is coming off a tough loss against Green Bay and it will look to avoid losing back-to-back games for the first time this season.

Its chances of doing so will greatly improve with RB Kevin Jones and WR Roy Williams expected back in the lineup this week. The Giants, on the other hand, are surprisingly nipping at Philadelphia's heels in the NFC East and need a win in Sunday's game if they expect to keep pace.

When the Lions have the ball
Rushing: The Giants have the quickness along the defensive line to disrupt the Lions' interior running game and the range at linebacker to prevent Jones from turning the corner. However, Detroit must stay committed to running the ball because New York will start to bring pressure from all over the field if the Lions' offense becomes a one-dimensional attack. The Lions managed just 33 rushing yards on 16 carries last week, resulting in a 38-10 Packer win sparked by a heavy-blitz package that pressured QB Joey Harrington into making some poor decisions.

Jones and the running game must provide some balance if Detroit hopes to escape the Meadowlands with a win as a result. The Lions can help open up the ground game by running out of their multiple-receiver sets and utilizing some misdirection. Spreading the field will force New York into its nickel package ultimately removing a defender from the box and giving the offensive line a better chance to create running lanes. Detroit can also keep New York's aggressive linebacker corps off balance by mixing in some misdirection plays.

With FB Cory Schlesinger set to miss this game with a hamstring injury the Lions' ability to power the ball between the tackles will be limited. Running counters and reverses will create better blocking angles for the front five and help negate the speed of OLBs Carlos Emmons and Barrett Green. WR Az-Zahir Hakim has carried the ball 29 times during his career and has the speed to go the distance on an end around if either Emmons or Green gets caught out of position.

Passing:

With both FS Omar Stoutmire and SS Shaun Williams on injured reserve, New York's secondary is vulnerable to the vertical passing game. As a result, expect Detroit to spread the field with some three-receiver sets and look for WR Williams downfield. Even if Williams is unable to make the big play, it will open up the short-to-intermediate passing game for Hakim and No. 2 WR Tai Streets.

However, the Lions will need to provide Harrington with better pass protection if they expect to take advantage of the Giants' injury-decimated secondary. Harrington generally does a good job of finding the open receiver when given enough time, but he will make some mistakes when he is forced to rush his decisions. As a result, the Lions may keep a back or a tight end in to help out on obvious passing downs.

They can also help slow down the Giants' pass rush by running some screens to LDE Michael Strahan's side of the field. Although Strahan is a veteran player with great recognition skills, finding Jones behind him will keep him honest, as Jones has great speed and is dangerous in space. Strahan will have to respect Jones' big-play ability, ultimately making him less aggressive getting upfield.

When the Giants have the ball
Rushing:

Lions DTs Shaun Rogers and Dan Wilkinson have excellent size, and their ability to clog up the middle will force the Giants to bounce a lot of their runs outside. RB Tiki Barber has the speed to turn the corner and he can be effective running off tackle, but the onus will fall on OTs Luke Petitgout and David Diehl to seal the edge. Petitgout and Diehl have played surprisingly well this season and both have the lateral mobility to reach DEs James Hall and Cory Redding, as neither is strong against the run.

The receivers will also play a big role, as they must do a good job of stalk blocking on the outside in order to create an alley for Barber to exploit. If Detroit's back-seven tries to compensate by flying to the outside, the Giants will counter with some draw plays that take advantage of the Lions' over-aggressiveness. Barber has good vision and can locate the seams the draw play creates. The key will be the interior line doing a good job of bating Rogers and Wilkinson upfield. As a result, OC Shaun O'Hara along with OGs Jason Whittle and Chris Snee must sell the draw with a good pass set.

Passing: The Lions simply don't have the talent at outside linebacker or in the secondary to hold up in man-to-man coverage working against the Giants' versatile passing attack. As a result, Detroit cannot afford to blitz too often and it will need to pressure QB Kurt Warner with a four-man rush. Warner has been playing much better this season but he lacks ideal mobility and has always struggled in the face of pressure.

In order to take advantage of this vulnerability, the Lions need Rogers and Wilkinson to do their part in collapsing the pocket. If they are able to hurry some of Warner's throws when he is working against seven- and eight-man coverages it could lead to some turnovers for Detroit.

However, the Giants can force the Lions out of their soft cover schemes by establishing the running game early and forcing SS Bracy Walker to play closer to the line of scrimmage. As a result, Detroit may have to employ more cover-3 or man-free looks with FS Brock Marion rolled over to WR Amani Toomer's side of the field.

This will leave Ike Hilliard matched up one-on-one against Chris Cash, who has recently been elevated to a starting role because of Fernando Bryant's injury. Hilliard hasn't put up great numbers, but he is quicker and more athletic than Cash. He needs to take advantage of this mismatch and give Warner a reliable target downfield. In addition, expect Barber and TE Jeremy Shockey to have plenty of opportunities to produce in the short-to-intermediate passing game. They will frequently work against OLBs Teddy Lehman and James Davis who both lack ideal experience.

Scouts' Edge
The Lions' inability to run the football coupled with a secondary that is incapable of matching up with the Giants' versatile passing attack should lead to a New York win. Although Harrington will come up with some big plays of his own, he'll continue to be face heavy pressure without a balanced attack to keep the Giants honest.

It will lead to some critical mistakes that should produce some stalled drives as well as turnovers. Barber will have another big day running and catching the ball working against a Lions defense that lacks the speed at linebacker to match up. Warner will take advantage of the ground game keeping Detroit off balance and spread the ball around.

October 19th, 2004, 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Scouts Inc. Preview Lions @ Giants
Quote:
Barber will have another big day running and catching the ball working against a Lions defense that lacks the speed at linebacker to match up.

I disagree that the Lions lack speed at LB, especially on the outside. Lehman, Curry, Davis (and Boss when healthy) form one of the fastest linebacking cores in the NFL. That's one of the reasons they matched up well against Vick.

Last edited by Pablo on October 20th, 2004, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 19th, 2004, 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

The Giants look good running the football. Barber is haveing a good year so far. I hope the Lions play well and keep the turnovers down. The running game needs to get rolling or we can kiss the playoffs good bye.

I also like the write on bandwagon jumpers. Iam a school teacher and my students keep pulling for the Lions after week one. Now they jumped off the wagon and started pulling for who ever the lions are playing.

October 20th, 2004, 11:47 am
RIP Killer

I agree with much of what you say. I think the Lions can put pressure on Warner, and that is the secret of beating him. I see the Giants trying to establish their running game more so than trying to beat Detroit through the air. The one thing I don't agree with is the idea of the Lions not having speed at linebacker. Lewis, Davis and Lehman have plenty of speed and can match Barber out of the backfield. The problem is their pass/run recognition skills. Also, Lehman still has problems shedding blockers. Holmes is slow, but doesn't have to be fast if the OLB's do their job.
Offensively I think the Lions are in trouble. Their O-line is not getting the push up front in the running game to allow the runners to read holes. Too often have I seen Lions jerseys pushed into the backfield. Too often are the Lions runners getting grabbed behind the line of scrimmage. Pinner has done well to gain positive yardage by moving the pile himself. Passing wise, I am beginning to wonder what the problem is. Is Joey afraid to throw deep, or does Mariucci lack confidence in Harrington? The offensive playcalling has been pedestrian at best, lacking originality and big play potential. The pieces are there (Williams, Hakim and Jones), all Mariucci has to do is try once and a while.

October 20th, 2004, 4:26 pm
QB Coach

I agree with about everything you have said. As like all of the games of this season, the key to the victory will be the defense forcing turnovers, which means Barber fumbling and Warner being hurried.

This can happen, as we have good rushers in Hall, Edwards and DeVries, but in general Jauron hasn't been aggressive at all this season, and rushes 4 the entire time. If he wakes up and realizes that if we blitz Warner we will be successful, then we have a good chance. Otherwise, it could be a long game

We should be able to stop the Giants rushing game. Barber is great this year, but so is our rushing defense. Usually defense wins that battle. I am still not convinced that the Giants O-Line is any good either.

Welcome to the board!

October 20th, 2004, 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Thanks Brian. I agree, Jauron has been too conservative. Overall I'd say the Lions as a whole have been too conservative. When's the last time you (or anybody) saw a fake punt or field goal out of the Lions? Onsides kick when it wasn't an obvious situation? I like Mariucci, but it's time to take the kid gloves off and start playing some football. Ball control is great, but once in while you have to go for the throat. Same thing defensively, send eight guys and go into a three deep zone. If they can disguise their blitzes, the Lions have enough speed defensively to get away with it.
Thanks again Brian. Glad to be a part of this forum.

October 21st, 2004, 8:57 am

, Jauron has been too conservative. Overall I'd say the Lions as a whole have been too conservative.

I feel that Jaurons conservative play calling cost him his job in Chicago. I also feel that he never wants to give up a big play that is why he only rushes 4.
As for the offense, I think the only way mooch can play it is conservative. He has no deep threat to stretch the field and no running game. I think the only thing the lions are trying to do is keep the turnovers down and depend on the D to pull them through.

October 21st, 2004, 12:25 pm
RIP Killer

I think you're right about why Jauron got canned in Chicago. And I understand what you are saying about why the offense is conservative. Problem is, the very fact that they don't have a deep threat is why they should try to stretch the field more. An occasional shot downfield is NOT going to hurt them, and it may cause the defenses to loosen up some. Unfortunately, the Lions have got to use the passing game to set up the run game right now. Basically, the offensive line has sucked. They are getting pushed into the backfield, and whoever is running the ball barely has time to get the handoff before being assaulted. The Lions are going to have to start using some misdirection and traps in order to offset this. Going deep on occasion will help as well, especially if the Lions can gain some big plays. Teams may still keep in nickle packages, but will be forced to play more two and three deep zone coverage, rather than cover one or robber. Also, the Lions have to learn how to take advantage of using the tight ends more in the passing game. They haven't done so, and if Williams is drawing double coverage, someone has got to be open. Defensively, the Lions have supposedly gained speed, so start using it. The big deal about drafting Lehman and Lewis was to utilize their speed in chasing down runners and blitzing the QB. So far, nothing much has been done to pressure the opposing QB using the LB's. The front four did an admirable job on Vick, but couldn't do much against Favre. The gameplans have to be modified to the opposition. The Lions haven't changed anything game to game, IMO.

October 21st, 2004, 12:53 pm

The pressureing Farve is tough because the Packs Oline is one of the best.

I agree the Lions need send the Lbs on a blitz every now and agian.
But lets hope this week that we can shut the run down and play better D

Good to have you on the board

October 21st, 2004, 1:42 pm
QB Coach

I also feel that he never wants to give up a big play that is why he only rushes 4.

I agree with your thinking, but the problem is, because we don't have a great pass rush and our secondary plays a bunch of zones, good wide receivers have been able to exploit those zones and run past them. Terrell Owens for example. We were out-coached that game-Philadelphia. Johnson blitzed nearly 75% of the time and it flustered Harrington. If we had a coordinator like that, we wouldn't have the NFL's 29th ranked pass defense. We are up there defensively with Minnesota, New Orleans, and Indianapolis. Basically I believe that if we don't change our defense, it won't improve.

October 21st, 2004, 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]