View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 13th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Next Roster Cut 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

If one of our WR's gets injured couldn't we replace him with a Steve Savoy or another WR off of our Practice Squad? I don't see only keeping 4 WR's as a huge mistake, because our WR's this season should be the least of our worries. It's better to have more personell for the other positions!

September 4th, 2005, 12:58 am
Profile YIM
3rd Round Selection

6 safeties? The Lions kept 6 f---ing safeties on the roster? How the H-E-L-L do you find room for 6 safeties on a roster?

1.McGraw, 2.Fox, 3.Holt, 4.Kennedy, 5.Johnson, 6.Walker

Not to mention that McQuartes can play safety also.

Who the heck is Cliff Johnson anyway why couldn't this guy be put on the practice squad?

September 4th, 2005, 1:09 am
Pro Bowl Player

Who the heck is Cliff Johnson anyway why couldn't this guy be put on the practice squad?

Wideout Cliff Johnson has been placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury NFL Europe list.

September 4th, 2005, 1:28 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Leo wrote:

Wideout Cliff Johnson has been placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury NFL Europe list.

He's a safety, not a wideout.

September 4th, 2005, 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

This list of cuts shows me one definitive thing..........Mariucci is a stubborn f$&#ing idiot of a coach who needs to be let go. Why? Glad you asked...

1. Will Matthews being waived and keeping Paul Smith is a BIG mistake. Matthews has been the more consistent blocker, and hit people with much more force than Paul Smith ever could. Smith has dropped passes, whiffed on blocks, run the wrong way and generally screwed up his opportunities. I could give a rats fat sweaty rectum about how well he may or may not do on special teams. He is now the starter at fullback, unless Mooch has plans for Bryson to start. Smith is only on his team because Mariucci coached him in San Fran and Smith must give a great BJ.
PAUL SMITH IS PANTY WASTE!!!
(I apologize if my words offend you, but this is a move I predicted. I am now officially starting the "Mariucci must go" bandwagon. Who wants to go for the ride?)

2. Bracy Walker should NOT be on this team. He got a gift interception the last game, but otherwise has stunk up the field this entire pre-season with missed tackles and coverage assignments. He is a waste, but once again Mooch goes with one of his "guys", and cuts other more promising prospects (Chris Cash got screwed).

3. Mariucci kept only five receivers last year at this time, and the Lions were lucky to be able to bring Reggie Swinton back into the fold after CRog got hurt last year. Well, Reggie isn't here anymore, and I think Scottie Vines will find work elsewhere. Drummond isn't a receiver, and having four on the roster is playing with fire. After the injuries last year to CRog and Roy, you'd think Mariucci would have learned. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...........!!!!!!!! This stubborn wop (and I can say that because I am Italian) decides to be stupid and keep 1000 defensive backs instead.

All this being said, the Lions will definitely be scrambling for replacements players during the season, and as a result, will most likely not be able to adequately contend for a playoff spot. The following players SHOULD have been cut:

Bracy Walker
Paul Smith
David Loverne
Andre Goodman

The following players should have been kept:

Will Matthews
Scottie Vines
Tyrone Hopson
Chris Cash

September 4th, 2005, 1:09 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

This list of cuts shows me one definitive thing..........Mariucci is a stubborn f$&#ing idiot of a coach who needs to be let go.

(I apologize if my words offend you, but this is a move I predicted. I am now officially starting the "Mariucci must go" bandwagon. Who wants to go for the ride?)

LOL!

I want on the bandwagon.

Who hired Mariucci in the first place? Another move making Millen worthy of that extention.

September 4th, 2005, 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

I hate to admit it but I have been a Mooch fan for awhile but things have changed. We definately are not getting $5mil worth of coaching from him or the entire staff for that matter.

I can't believe Walker, Loverne and Smith are on this team. I hope the Smith ordeal will be solved by signing Jon Ritchie. As far as I'm concerned Shazor could take over for Walker right nowr what about Rich Coady (I think that's his name) from Dallas, Jamaal Brimmer.

What should we do with our top 10 pick in 2006?

September 4th, 2005, 1:30 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

i think the lions probably kept the best players they had in camp but i sense some stubborness with the selection paul smith. I think that all along they wanted smith bc he is decent with the football and on special teams. they could sneak him onto the field and throw a couple passes his way or whatever. But with Schlesinger injured that means Smith would have to be a blocking back. For some reason the Lions (Mooch or Millen? i am not so sure it is all mooch) have not adjusted to the fact that schlesinger will miss a few games. Matthews was definitely a better lead blocker than smith, also Thump Belton was cut by the Bears - we had in camp last year and he was better than Matthews this year. I hope they still make a move here. As for Walker, how could we cut Brock Marion and bring back Bracy? Just move McQuarters to a safety spot and cut either Bracy or McGraw- neither is very good. The Lions upgraded their safety slot when they signed Kennedy but then blew it when they cut Marion inserted Holt as a starter and kept Bracy around. They are no better at safety now then they were last season.

September 5th, 2005, 8:40 am
ST Coordinator – Joe Marciano

" question why they would go with Goodman over Chris Cash, who is more consistent, especially given the inconsistent performances by 1st and 2nd year players Keith Smith and Stanley Wilson in preseason. Vernon Fox is a very good special teams player with some experience and more speed than Guman, but I do think that they kept too many safeties as both Bracy Walker and McGraw were retained as well to go along with Holt, Kennedy. We kept 11 DBs for 4 spots, I dont get it especially with McQuarters being able to play safety and corner. Walker has no business being in the NFL and I am not really sure if McGraw is any better."

Remember there are two angles to weigh for these bottom end guys: fill-in ability and ST play. If you go over the list, it was ST that was a decisive factor in the final lop-sided roster allotment. Shorting WR was a danger, but in case of injury you could sign one of our guys back: Kircus, Martinez, Vines, etc. Plus we already signed Martinez and Hamilton to the PS, and they would probably be the first to move up. A decision on Garcia might be shortly forthcoming with ramifications at WR. As for developmental TEs and FBs, if they are not great on special teams they belong on the practice squad. I cannot really argue too much with these cut downs especially with Sledge and Garcia holding down roster spots.

September 5th, 2005, 9:55 pm
Varsity Captain

This is goin against the grain of the conversation for this thread, but I was browsing the posts and noticed that Scotty Vines was cut. Was there any reason in particular or are they goin to put him on the practice squad?

September 6th, 2005, 2:37 pm
RIP Killer

He isn't elligible for the PS since this is his 3rd year in the league.

September 6th, 2005, 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2