View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 21st, 2018, 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Killer WDFN notes 
Megatron

Post Killer WDFN notes
Quote:
Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Killer WDFN Notes: Lions should roll Packers
On Sports Radio 1130 Detroit Tom Kowalski talked with Sean Baligian during his regular Wednesday 10:35 a.m. interview on It Is What It Is. Here are the highlights.

If something happened to Harrington or Orlovsky they'd go get someone, but Harrington has proven durable. The other question is, who is out there that's better than Orlovsky? They don't want to give up a roster spot for someone who will get zero reps. Not in this situation.

If they signed someone it wouldn't be someone without West Coast offense experience. They may have a list of available guys, but they're not ready to make that call.

They don't want to cut Bill Swancutt, a promising defensive lineman, or Vernon Fox, one of their best special teamers to bring in a third string QB.

The Lions think they've seen enough from Orlovsky to trust him on the field, and Killer completely agrees. Even if they got a veteran backup Orlovsky would be the starter if Harrington went down. This isn't an Andre Ware situation -- where he goes out there with absolutely no clue.

What bothered Killer about the MNF game isn't that they got beaten, but that they wilted. He doesn't want to say they quit, but they went from sky-high to nothing pretty quickly. BUT, the way they responded was the most encouraging thing. Players are even agreeing with the veterans right now. The intensity is finally up all over the place.

MiniMillen from the forum calls in -- What has Paul Smith shown to beat out Will Matthews at backup FB? Smith is better at sustaining blocks and knows the offense better, but Matthews is a much better prospect. Right now it's just a comfort level with a veteran.

More people around the NFL were more stunned in the Bills game -- that the Lions were able to shut the Bills down. Everyone expected the MNF performance. Many believe the Bills are absolutely loaded, and especially how Buffalo played their starters the whole half. That's why this Packers game is so important, they have got to make a statement.

No one will look at Harrington's passing stats anymore. That's out the door. All that matters anymore is winning. If he has a touchdown and four interceptions, and Hanson kicks the game-winner he'll remain at QB. That's how Favre is judged.

Callers asks -- ESPN's Chris Mortensen said the Lions are a soft organization, would a Bill Parcells be as soft on a QB like Harrington? If Garcia was healthy and Harrington stumbled, there'd be a change. In this situation they'll ride Harrington longer. If the Lions struggle when a healthy Garcia returns expect to see a change. Guys will be replaced if they don't produce now, WRs, OL, everyone. This waiting for development is finally over.

This is the perfect situation for Harrington. He won't be looking over his shoulder. He'll just focus on the task at hand. He's got five, maybe six games, to get it right. He won't be pulled for small mistakes.

Question from MLive caller (didn't identify himself) -- Will they bring in a backup like J.T. O'Sullivan or someone for a practice squad? Killer says they could bring in a "camp arm", not a real threat to play.

Regarding the Packers -- a lot hinges on whomever they name as the starting guards. If there is no running game, Favre isn't nearly as effective. These two guards, who aren't upgrades from last year, have to face the strength of the Lions defense -- the interior line. The Lions should be able to neutralize the Packers offense. Also, he doesn't see how the Packers defense can slow the Lions offense. Seriously.

Killer expects to see Favre air it out less than they have in the past. He says Jim Bates, the Packers defensive coordinator, won't just start blitzing because the Lions appeared to not be able to stop blites. Most NFL coordinators are just like Dick Jauron -- "This is my system, I'm sticking with it."

Killer pimps his 'Point After' show on WDFN starting next Monday at 7-8 p.m. "You're going to find out things on that show that you really won't hear anywhere." [Side note: look for audio of the show on MLive.com]

Quote:
Guys will be replaced if they don't produce now, WRs, OL, everyone. This waiting for development is finally over.

This is SO good to hear. Finally, the developement and rebuilding is over. Its time for these players to prove themselves and to start winning.

Go Lions!!!

September 7th, 2005, 11:44 am
Hall of Fame Player

TheRealWags wrote:
...No one will look at Harrington's passing stats anymore. That's out the door. All that matters anymore is winning. If he has a touchdown and four interceptions, and Hanson kicks the game-winner he'll remain at QB. That's how Favre is judged. ...

I don't really agree with this statement tho.

Harrington and Favre couldn't be more polarized in terms of how the fans view them. Favre could kick a puppy across Lambeau field and not get booed while the crowd is ready to tar and feather Harrington after every incomplete pass.

As for how coaches look at them; Favre gets a hall pass for a poor game while Harrington can't get a public 'that-a-boy' from Mooch if he saved the planet from an alien invasion.

Favre is always blameless - just like Barry Sanders was always blameless. Their place in the HOF buys (and has bought) privileges in every form including a lack of scrutiny. While Harrington has been Detroit's whipping boy for two years.

Maybe I'm reading this statement wrong or maybe I'm just over thinking it; but it just feels like when we lose it's usually Harrington's fault and when we win someone else gets the credit. And it doesn't seem to matter if you're the Lions front office or a fan - JH won't get judged like Favre even if he get's us to the playoffs.

MAYBE in future years - but not this season. Not a chance.

September 7th, 2005, 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Megatron

I don't really agree with this statement tho.

Harrington and Favre couldn't be more polarized in terms of how the fans view them. Favre could kick a puppy across Lambeau field and not get booed while the crowd is ready to tar and feather Harrington after every incomplete pass.

As for how coaches look at them; Favre gets a hall pass for a poor game while Harrington can't get a public 'that-a-boy' from Mooch if he saved the planet from an alien invasion.

Favre is always blameless - just like Barry Sanders was always blameless. Their place in the HOF buys (and has bought) privileges in every form including a lack of scrutiny. While Harrington has been Detroit's whipping boy for two years.

Maybe I'm reading this statement wrong or maybe I'm just over thinking it; but it just feels like when we lose it's usually Harrington's fault and when we win someone else gets the credit. And it doesn't seem to matter if you're the Lions front office or a fan - JH won't get judged like Favre even if he get's us to the playoffs.

MAYBE in future years - but not this season. Not a chance.

I see what you're saying LF57, but I tend to agree with Killer on this. I think that, realistically, as long ans the team wins, and continues to win, no one will care if Joey is putting up Pro Bowl numbers or not. However I do agree with you in that Favre's history gives him a lot more lee-way. Joey may be in a no-win situation, but as long as the Lions are winning, I don't think anybody will be calling for his head. The main thing that I think the fans and the city wants is for the Lions to be a winner and get away for the endless, traditional, mediocrity. JMHO

September 7th, 2005, 12:52 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Regarding the Packers -- a lot hinges on whomever they name as the starting guards. If there is no running game, Favre isn't nearly as effective. These two guards, who aren't upgrades from last year, have to face the strength of the Lions defense -- the interior line. The Lions should be able to neutralize the Packers offense. Also, he doesn't see how the Packers defense can slow the Lions offense. Seriously

First ~ to say the two guards aren't upgrades from last year is the biggest understatement of the year

second~ the Lions Interior Line has Shaun Rogers period. We need another stud somewhere on the line before we start talking shut down on the running game or pressuring the QB -- Minnesota will be a serious headache for NFC North teams this year

third~ Why would you even say "I don't see how the packers defense can slow the Lions Offense" ... they have players.. maybe not as good as last year, but I wouldn't go so far as to underestimate them- then they do and he looks like an idiot

anyone ever see the St. Louis Rams defense look so good?

I hope he is right, but I don't expect to score at will against the packers - I'll beleive it when I see it

September 7th, 2005, 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think the statement is that Favre is only judged favorably in Green Bay because the Packers are a winning organization. The fact that he throws a heap of interceptions is overlooked because of his ability to win ball games. Harrington has had his completion percentage and average yards per pass judged harshly, but only because the Lions don't win. Were the Lions a winning franchise with Harrington at the helm, nobody would give a damn about his statistics. I believe that is what Wags was aluding to.

September 7th, 2005, 12:55 pm
RIP Killer

First ~ to say the two guards aren't upgrades from last year is the biggest understatement of the year

second~ the Lions Interior Line has Shaun Rogers period. We need another stud somewhere on the line before we start talking shut down on the running game or pressuring the QB -- Minnesota will be a serious headache for NFC North teams this year

third~ Why would you even say "I don't see how the packers defense can slow the Lions Offense" ... they have players.. maybe not as good as last year, but I wouldn't go so far as to underestimate them- then they do and he looks like an idiot

anyone ever see the St. Louis Rams defense look so good?

I hope he is right, but I don't expect to score at will against the packers - I'll beleive it when I see it

First-the guards they will have starting ARE NOT as good as their starters from last year. A rookie (William Whitaker) and an often injured veteran (Adrian Klemm) certainly are not upgrades over Wahle and Rivera. While you may feel that Favre and Ahman Green helped to make them look good, the reverse could also be stated.

Second-Shaun Rogers is the only Lions Pro Bowler, but I wouldn't say He's their only quality player. James Hall had 11.5 sacks last year. Make all the arguments you want about him benefitting from Shaun Rogers presence, but keep in mind that Hall was rushing the passer from both sides of the line last year, not just the spot next to Rogers. Also, while Wilkinson is not a pass rushing threat, he is next to impossible to move in the middle and has kept blockers off Holmes for the past two years pretty well. He does the job he was hired for.

Third- I will agree that underestimating the Pack defense is a dangerous proposition. However, they have lost some experience and depth in the off-season. Cleditus Hunt and Darren Sharper haven't been adequately replaced, IMHO. Neither Ahmad Carrol nor Joey Thomas have filled the role that Mike McKenzie had (shutdown corner). The Packers don't have good secondary depth and don't sport a strong cast of linebackers. Outside of Nick Barnett and KGB, no player on that unit is worth mentioning. I can see where there is question marks about the Packers being able to stop the Lions offense, either from a running or passing standpoint. But I wouldn't make the mistake of saying 'they can't stop the Lions offense'.

September 7th, 2005, 1:09 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

But I wouldn't make the mistake of saying 'they can't stop the Lions offense'

I agree Mike. After all, they are paid proffesionals. With that being said, their defense looks to be weaker than last year and KJ did have pretty good numbers running against them. KJ has looked even better in the preseason this year and should feast against their run D. After he loosens them up, Joey should be able to go over the top on their inexperienced secondary. There is no reason Joey should have the same horrible numbers he had against their D last season. While I don't think that we will be able to score on every possession, we should get 20 + 1st downs and control the time of possession. As long as penalties don't kill us, I can see us scoring in the high 20's or low 30's.

Tim

September 7th, 2005, 2:17 pm
RIP Killer

While I don't think that we will be able to score on every possession, we should get 20 + 1st downs and control the time of possession. As long as penalties don't kill us, I can see us scoring in the high 20's or low 30's.

I think I was stretching to say they'll score 23 or whatever I said, only because they'll be the classic Lions and penalties will F them in the A. It has thus far in the PS.

September 7th, 2005, 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]