View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2018, 12:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Making the Playoffs 

Will the Lions make the playoffs?
A. Yes, they will get at least 10 wins. 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
B. No, they will miss the playoffs again. 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 17

Making the Playoffs 
ST Coordinator – Joe Marciano

Post Making the Playoffs
After St. Louis a lot of wind went of our sails, but there are empirical reasons to believe the Lions "may" have a break-out year. One interesting facet of turn-around seasons is dramatic improvement on third down.

http://www.lionbacker.com/?id=articles& ... 7-playoffs

I know our #1 offense did not score, but I am pretty sure the third down conversion rate was way above last season's rate. That is a very good sign.

Welcome to Club Optimist. :lol:

September 7th, 2005, 10:10 pm
Varsity Captain

The Rams game was a bit of a wake up call, but I dont know why everyone went so overboard (the lions home page forum was insane the next morning) all it showed me was that we are still a young team with some defensive holes to fill and that they will still make mistakes. With all that said I still think were one of better teams in the division.
The Bears will have no O while the Pack will have no D. The only other serious contender I see for the North is the Vikes, and I want to see them play a regular season game before I buy into all the offseason hype they have been getting.

The North is up for grabs and it is very possible even dare I say likely that the Lions will end up on top.

Now winning a playoff game, thats a whole different story. Ill just settle on getting there for now though.

September 7th, 2005, 10:31 pm
NFL Veteran

In all honesty, in the last four years, I've tempered my optimism most this season. Even though it seems like this year has the biggest reasons why I should be gushing.

Maybe it's a fear of jinxing it. Because it does seem like an all or nothing affair. Super XL in Detroit or bust. And if we do bust it certainly means a measure of rebuilding even if only at the Quarterback position. But that QB position is huge. It's at least a year long set back if we go in with a QB other than Joe Harrington next year.

The free agency and draft as well seemed to lack the flair and pizazz of the previous two drafts. I think Derrick Johnson, Donavin Darius and Ty Law would've got my blood going. You guys wouldn't be able to shut me up.

On top of that, that was all before the Saint Louis game. They showed absoultely nothing as a means for optimism at that game. It was a total letdown. I wasn't among those swearing the Lions off for life... but it seemed to validate my less than enthusiastic response for the preseason and this year.

And then Jeff Garcia goes out and breaks his leg. I don't think that would've been as devasting as losing Harrington, but it's added weight you know. I said to myself, "I sure as hell hope Joe Harrington doesn't feel like the pressure is off of him anymore." Because it's that same pressure that moved Drew Brees to scratching the surface of greatness that I was counting on.

So that's it. I'm extremely quiet about it. I have this deep pride in my team. But I'm afraid to put myself out their for fear of a letdown in what is the most important season of the modern Detroit Lions era. I want to quietly root for them as they win game after game... enter the playoffs, and win game after game. And when they make the promise land, they make the unprecedented playing for the big prize in their own city. But if they start losing, I wouldn't look like an rectum tooting my horn about how great this team is.

But then I think, isn't that exactly what I despise. I'm not ashamed of my team... am I? No I am not. I hate fair-whethered fans. I hate bandwagon jumpers. It's all so cowardly. That, my friends, I am not. So I tell you I believe in this team. I put faith which may even be blind at times, but I believe they can do it. And there's nothing I won't settle any less for than SuperBowl XL. This team is certainly talented enough to get there. I just have to believe that they are hungry enough to get there.

But if they fall short of the playoffs, if they lose in the first round, second round, or even if they lose in the Superbowl, while I'll be disappointed... I won't be ashamed of them. I'll be proud of them regardless. But that isn't going to stop me from expecting the greatest from them.

And that Saint Louis game was the perfect wake up call. Perfect timing too. Better we get humiliated and knocked off our high horse when the games don't count than against Green Bay or any regular season game for that matter. And even if it didn't count as a game... it counted where it mattered... with the team. This team knows they can not take a single game for granted. Leaders were born in that locker room that day. Coaches were handed the simple truth that complacency and not reinventing your offensive or defensive philosophy is not going to cut it in this league. I have to believe that everyone was affected. But they have to be stronger than that. Same like the fans... we can't give up on them before they even started.

And so... my vote. (Hell I'll shoot for 16 wins. give or take 16 wins or so... lol).

I usually right a more in depth article about my predictions but here's my prelminary one:

W- Packers
W- Bears
W- Bucaneers
L - Ravens
L - Panthers
W- Browns
W- Bears
W- Vikings
W- Cardinals
W- Cowboys
W- Falcons
W- Vikings
W- Packers
W- Bengals
W- Saints
L - Steelers

13-3 baby. That's right.

September 7th, 2005, 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Location: Tampa, Florida...my pool is 90 today and it'll be 90 for Christmas morning!
That no vote had to be our friendly neighborhood poster Brian! :lol:

I'm such a Lion junkie. :roll: All things considered I still have a good fealing about the team and I really believe that they're going to come out swinging. I can't lose hope until they come out and lay an egg in a real game this year. That'll suck and then I'll look forward to next season. :oops: I just really want to see some aggresive play on both sides of the ball. If they come out and play really aggresive I will enjoy the games win or lose. The wins will come if we start kicking teams badonkadonk' :!: :twisted:

September 8th, 2005, 5:32 am
Pop Warner Rookie

W- Packers
W- Bears
W- Bucaneers
L - Ravens
L - Panthers
W- Browns
W- Bears
W- Vikings
W- Cardinals
W- Cowboys
W- Falcons
W- Vikings
W- Packers
W- Bengals
W- Saints
L - Steelers

13-3 baby. That's right.
Thats a 10 game win streak! I love my Lions but I dont think so :wink:

September 8th, 2005, 7:54 am
Junior Varsity

i dont know about sweeping the vikes and pack

the bears, yea

11-5 or 10 -6

definitely a 3-0 start..........I think ????????????????????????

September 8th, 2005, 8:53 am
RIP Killer

It is really something to see all these posters drunk on optimism. I guess I shall play Devil's Advocate. After witnessing the lack of protective pass blocking and the lack of pressure being put on by our defensive front four, I do not share your optimism. Our starters on both lines did not look as good as I had hoped they would. Therefore, I feel things will work out like this:

W- Packers
W- Bears
L- Bucaneers
L - Ravens
L - Panthers
W- Browns
W- Bears
L- Vikings
W- Cardinals
L- Cowboys
L- Falcons
W- Vikings
L- Packers
W- Bengals
W- Saints
L - Steelers

The Lions will finish second in the NFC North with an 8-8 record. They will not make the playoffs.

September 8th, 2005, 12:31 pm

Count me in the do-not-know camp. The OL looks horrible, but there is this silver lining, Indy and other teams make do just fine with unphysical and quasi-athletic linemen. The key is deception, masking your run or pass. If you convert third downs and sustain drives the defense gets tired. Whether the Lions can master the nuances to get rush/pass balance is an open question, but they have enough talent at the rights spots to do so.

September 8th, 2005, 1:31 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I know this is going to seem like punking out, but I am going to reserve my judgement on the season until AFTER the Green Bay game. I want to see how the players respond in a game that actually counts before reserving judgement.

And I will be baking a big batch of cornbread on Saturday night w/ some koolaid for the game :D

Tim

September 8th, 2005, 1:43 pm
RIP Killer

Yorick - your initial question and then poll questions don't sync up. Since when does making the playoffs = 10 wins in the NFC? Certainly not last year and 9 wins could get you in this year.

September 8th, 2005, 3:22 pm
Profile WWW

Technically true, but 10 wins gets you a playoff spot 90% of the time or so. Nine wins is a major crapshoot. I would guess about 35-40% of the time. That is the big ledge. I guess, if those numbers are about right, the logic is taht if the Lions want to control their own destiny than 10 wins is what they need. If other teams flounder they could benefit and sneak in with less, no question. On rare times, teams have even slid in with 8 wins. :D

September 8th, 2005, 7:37 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

13-3 baby. That's right.

The Detroit Free Press had an article this morning, a big Lions section about the season preview, and it said on the cover "Lions win the Super Bowl"

Your post was funnier, because you were being serious.

September 8th, 2005, 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]