View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 11:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Lions biggest needs? 
All State

Post Lions biggest needs?
ok fellas we are nearly half way through the season and time to start looking at what the teams biggest need for improvement is. i'm curious what everyones thoughts on this are?

despite a great opening game against chicago, i'm not sure walker is working out too well at safety so that would be my choice as an area to upgrade.

November 4th, 2004, 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

While I think there a couple of player personnel changes I would like to see, I think that the Lions should make every effort to hire Rick Dennison.

If you don't recognize the name, he is the Offensive Line coach for the Denver Broncos and IMO is responsible for designing and implementing one of the most dynamic run blocking schemes in the game.

In me you can see that time of year when a few yellow leaves or none at all hang. In me you can see the glowing embers that lie upon the ashes remaining from the flame of my youth. So, respect more deeply that which you must give up before long.

November 4th, 2004, 10:43 am
RIP Killer

That is a tough question cause I've got a lot on my wish list (but much less than prior years).

Safety is a concern but since you raised it already I will go with right tackle. I haven't been impressed with McDougle this year and he will be a FA at seasons end. If Kelly Butler can play, then it won't be an area of need but I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement here.

Regardless, I think something along the offensive line has to change. Perhaps the team will look to replace Dominik R. with Woody at center, then they would need to go after a right guard.

November 4th, 2004, 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'd have to agree w/ what's been said in regards to safety.. I think we need to address those needs either w/ the draft or free agency.

NEVER GIVE UP!

November 4th, 2004, 10:56 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

While I think there a couple of player personnel changes I would like to see, I think that the Lions should make every effort to hire Rick Dennison.

If you don't recognize the name, he is the Offensive Line coach for the Denver Broncos and IMO is responsible for designing and implementing one of the most dynamic run blocking schemes in the game.

Your right getting the Broncos Oline coach would be big. But he isnt the guy who set that run of great blockers in motion. The guy who should get the credit is Alex Gibbs. He use to coach the Oline at Denver until two years ago he is now with the Falcons. That is why the running game for the Atlanta has gotten better.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/005/751/

I would like to see the running game inprove. Get a good pulling guard (Elton Brown)

and I would like to see Rogers Healthy[/quote]

November 4th, 2004, 11:52 am
QB Coach

Your right getting the Broncos Oline coach would be big. But he isnt the guy who set that run of great blockers in motion. The guy who should get the credit is Alex Gibbs. He use to coach the Oline at Denver until two years ago he is now with the Falcons. That is why the running game for the Atlanta has gotten better.

Was about to say that...LOL

I think we have to get rid of Pat Morris, just because he isn't getting the job done on offense. Would actually like to see us get rid of Jauron too, but I won't get into that. I wrote a list of needs on another forum, so let me copy and paste it here...

Defensive end doesn't seem like a huge need. Hall is having a phenomenal year (dare I say, pro-bowl year? we shall see) and Edwards is working well as a pass rusher. I actually think that the way our rush defense has been playing, we can afford to have Edwards in there more frequently. I hear people's excuse for us drafting a DE being "Porcher is done after this season" and my response has been..."so? has he even played at all this season?!". I think the following positions should be addressed through free agency/draft this off season...

1. Defensive Tackle- If we can't re-sign Shaun Rogers for any reason, then this is our biggest need by a longshot. perhaps Redding can be moved inside, but that is yet to be seen. If we tag Rogers, or re-sign him, this will go down to our 3rd need behind SS and OG. Wilkinson hasn't been as productive as I expected him to be this season, and needs to be replaced. If there is a quailty defensive tackle avaliable, I think we need to jump on it.

2. Strong Safety- Brock Marion has played very well (not statistically) at free safety, and should have another year in him. Holt could be moved to strong safety, but again, that has yet to be seen. Bracy Walker needs to get off this team, I remember him getting burnt by Shockey last week. I'd like to see if Brian Walker can come back or not, but even if he does, this is still a need area.

3. Offensive Guard- Damien Woody hasn't played as well as we expected him to play when we signed him to that huge deal, although he has been solid. The entire offensive line hasn't been opening holes for whatever runningback is in our backfield. Loverne actually has played well, and deserves to keep his job. I just think we may need to draft someone to light a fire under Woody, or draft a guard and move Woody to center, replacing Raiola.

4. Center- If we lose Raiola (most likely) and keep Woody at guard, then we could draft a center, or pick up one. I said draft because there is good top talent at the center position this season, and Wilkerson/Carter could come in and start for us right away. Raiola hasn't earned his contract extention, and I would think that letting him walk may be the right thing rather than overpaying to keep him here

5. Tight End- Alexander actually is a great fit for this offense, and put together a great game against the Giants last week, according to Detroit TE standards. If he continues to play like this, then TE won't be a need. But if Alexander gets hurt (like he has before) or he plays like he did the first 5 games, then I think he may need to be replaced.

Basically, we need to jump-start the rushing attack, and fix the pass defense. I say we get a new O-Line coach, make some changes up front personnel wise (Release Raiola, Move Woody to center, draft OG Elton Brown or OG David Baas). I don't like Jauron as DC, he is too conservative and it is hurting our pass defense, but he isn't going anywhere. So lets get a good strong safety in that secondary, hopefully Donovin Darius through free agency.

November 6th, 2004, 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]