View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 What happened to our rushing defense? 
QB Coach

Post What happened to our rushing defense?
What once was a legit defense has been exposed the past few weeks against Clinton Portis and the Redskins, and Fred Taylor/LaBrandon Toefield and the Jaguars.

I miss Boss Bailey more than ever right now. I wonder what the injury report on James Hall is. Still, we need to upgrade the safety position. That hurt our defense more than ever today, failing to help our cornerbacks in pass coverage and failing to help our linebackers in rushing defense.

There are good safeties in free agency next year. Adrian Wilson, Sammy Knight (old), Dwight Smith, and Donovin Darius. Hopefully we can acquire at least one of them.

November 14th, 2004, 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Towel Boy

Post Re: What happened to our rushing defense?
Brian wrote:
What once was a legit defense has been exposed the past few weeks against Clinton Portis and the Redskins, and Fred Taylor/LaBrandon Toefield and the Jaguars.

I miss Boss Bailey more than ever right now. I wonder what the injury report on James Hall is. Still, we need to upgrade the safety position. That hurt our defense more than ever today, failing to help our cornerbacks in pass coverage and failing to help our linebackers in rushing defense.

There are good safeties in free agency next year. Adrian Wilson, Sammy Knight (old), Dwight Smith, and Donovin Darius. Hopefully we can acquire at l

That sounds like a start, Darius would be great, Iam disappointed in our db backs, drey bly can't be everywhere Fernando Bryant and (old) Brock Marion, Cash, Goodman all seem to be very ineffective when it comes to guarding anyone and tackling, this team needs a complete over hall and I dont mean just OL. What do u think.

November 15th, 2004, 4:16 am
QB Coach

That sounds like a start, Darius would be great, Iam disappointed in our db backs, drey bly can't be everywhere Fernando Bryant and (old) Brock Marion, Cash, Goodman all seem to be very ineffective when it comes to guarding anyone and tackling, this team needs a complete over hall and I dont mean just OL. What do u think.

First off, welcome to the boards!

I would agree, the D-Backs were one of the reasons this team lost against Jacksonville, and one of the reasons we are losing multiple times this season. They have been torched numerous times and something needs to be changed.

I want Bracy Walker out of there, he is terrible in coverage. Replace him at strong safety, possibly play Terrence Holt at FS because he will be taking over within the next year at that position, and hope the development of Keith Smith (who has played well at times this season) pays off, for cornerback help.

November 15th, 2004, 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Our defense seems to be off and on sometimes. I have always thought we need to be going after a safety in the off season. We are too old back there. I like the guys we have but they can't last much longer.
There have been so many injuries back there I don't know if maybe we have not played together enough as a unit? I still watch Dre and Fernando and see 2 guys that are still not 100% healthy. I could be wrong, but that is the feeling I get. Cash is good, so is Goodman ( when healthy). Good back-ups and or depth.

We miss Boss, but I also have like the way our LB's have played. Let's not forget we are very young there. So mistakes are inevitable. They are getting "on the job" expirience which is ver ymuch needed for those guys. ( Lehman, Lewis ) Plus, Curry has been hurt and I thought the guy looked good before the injury.

So give our defense time and hopefully some draft picks / FA we can get some youth back in the secondary and soem more years at the helm for aour younger guys.

November 16th, 2004, 1:53 pm
QB Coach

The young players have really contributed to this team well and stepped up when needed (Boss last season, Roy this season) but others still have to work harder. Lehman isn't playing well for my liking, when Boss comes back, hopefully he will be on the bench but we shall see.

I think that Bryant has played poorly this season. He got lit up by Terrell Owens (then again, who hasn't?), and is constantly getting burnt. He isn't committing penalties though.

I remember complaining about the defensive schemes here a while ago, and i'm not doing it as much, but we still aren't blitzing enough/getting enough pressure on third down and long so that corners like Bryant aren't hung out to dry. Jauron has done an admirable job with the defense though.

November 16th, 2004, 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Our defense is off and on sometimes like winston93 said. Our D is alot like Joey that way. When both are off it's a bad day (like against Jacksonville).

I think they are heading in the right direction, but Jauron needs some more time to build this defense. They need to add more speed in the secondary and to get Bailey back.

November 18th, 2004, 1:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]