View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 4:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Power Rankings 
Baton Girl

Post Power Rankings
So far this season I have checked out two different power rankings from two different sites. One, Fox Sports, and two, Lionbacker.com. It seems to me that, while I do have some differences of opinion with both, Lionbacker.com has a more realistic power ranking for the pre season. For instance, I couldn't believe that Fox Sports had the Broncos as the number 1 team to beat. Also, I don't think that the Pats are the number 1 team to beat either, as Lionbacker.com rated them. I think that overall Green Bay, as much as I hate to admit, is the best team overall in the NFL as of now. Anyone else have something to add? Thanks for putting up such a great site all you webmasters of Lionbacker.com!

Peace.

August 10th, 2004, 2:26 pm
RIP Killer

Thanks for your feedback on your site and the Power Rankings. Of course everyone will have a difference of opinion - hopefully we will here some more in this thread.

When putting together the rankings I just felt New England is the "team" to beat. They are the defending champs and their offseason wasn't too bad either now that they may have a strong running game to go with the passing game, excellent coaching and good defense.

As for Green Bay, they didn't do much in the offseason and Farve isn't getting any younger. I think you could make a case for them being #1 in the NFCN but not the NFL. That said, you gotta like Ahman Green - but if he goes down so do the Pack.

Glad your on the boards and thanks for the feedback again. I'd love to see your top 10 (and where you think the Lions are) if you wouldn't mind posting them in this thread...

Paul (aka Pablo)

August 10th, 2004, 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

I tried to make a top ten; however, I feel very lazy right now because of extensive conditioning at football practice this morning so I decided to just make a top five :P . Anyway... Here goes nothing.

1) Packers- With Favre at the helm, and Ahman Green running his arse off every night, I think that if Green Bay can pull their act together they can be champions yet again. I believe that Green Bay has the most potential, and because of their experience, particularly in the somewhat old, but still excellent, Brett Favre, they will be able to pull off a big season.
2) Patriots- Still an excellent team with a superb defense, The Patriots come in line at numero dos. I just find it hard to see them at the top of the leage this year, and I have always thought that they wouldn't even have one it last year if they had a different opponent in the championship.
3) Eagles- With a dominate quarterback like McNabb, and their newly acquired WR Owens, I see the Eagles going very far this season.
4) Colts- A great quarterback in Manning, a superb WR in Marvin, and a better than average RB in James, the Colts seem to have a one way ticket straight to the superbowl. But I see their less than stellar defense causing them problems this year.
5) Vikings- With a great power quarterback like Daunte Culpepper and a stellar, but cocky, wide out like Moss, I can see the Vikings having an excellent year. The only problem that I can see for the Vikings is a poor attitude due to a lack of team leadership and experience.

Well, thats my top 5. As for the lions, I hope to see them in the top 15 this year, but that all depends on whether or not our prospects live up to their hype (i.e. KJ, Williams, Lehman, and yes... Harrington!) I have faith in our team that they will work very hard this year, because it seems to me that they want to win this year more than they have in years past, and that is a major part of winning teams, they need a drive. As for Harrington, hopefully he will use his new tools at his dispense for the better, and finally live up to be the QB we all want him to be. Well, I suppose I should stop now :P , this post is long enough as it is. Let me know what you all think of it, eh?

Peace.

August 10th, 2004, 3:43 pm
Site Admin

Wait a second...Green Bay??? They are the same team as last year right? How are they that much more improved than a team like Philly who added a difference maker? And Denver too...maybe you could say Pablo made the safe and easy pick but it seems more justifyable. Ahman Green is very good but we in Detroit should know better than most that quality RBs don't necessarily = contention. BTW...who the hell was New Englands RB??? And that is my point :D

I am guessing ^^^ is a Cheesehead or something. The Packers have had the duo of Frave and Green for how many years now??? How many rings did they get??? If they have upgraded all around that is one thing but thats like saying that Kansas city has Priest Holmes and should win...just my opinion of course.

August 10th, 2004, 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Wait a second...Green Bay??? They are the same team as last year right? How are they that much more improved than a team like Philly who added a difference maker? And Denver too...maybe you could say Pablo made the safe and easy pick but it seems more justifyable.

While both those teams had additions that would seemingly put them over the top, they also lost key performers on both sides of the ball. Philly lost their best runningback in Duce Staley, and their starting two cornerbacks. Also, their run defense was horrible last season. Denver lost their dominant "factor back" but Griffin could be an adequate replacement. They also lost Sharpe, McCaffrey, Berry, Gardner, Gold, and Mobley. Lots of question marks all over that team...

August 10th, 2004, 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Not a fan of the Texans but they should be higher than #23. Good, young ballclub very comparable to ours, they are not 7 slots below us.

August 10th, 2004, 5:27 pm
RIP Killer

The Eagles were bad against the run for sure. That said, I didn't consider Duce their best back anymore and they use everyone's favorite "RB by committee" approach anyway. Taylor and Vincent were good corners, however, they are being replaced by 2 high draft picks that the Philly has a lot of faith in. They got significant playing time last year with the injuries to the starters and the Eagles were 2-0 when they started and had a better record when one of them was starting than when Taylor/Vincent were the starters. They also added a playmaker on both sides of the ball. It will be interesting to see how they do this year... That whole NFC East is a mess to figure out...

August 10th, 2004, 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I like the Texans a lot as well! They have something going with Carr/Johnson/Davis. My thinking was they were in a very tough division so perhaps I didn't rank them as high as I would have liked to based on that fact. Hope you join the boards (unless you already have and just didn't log in). :lol:

August 10th, 2004, 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I like the Texans a lot as well! They have something going with Carr/Johnson/Davis. My thinking was they were in a very tough division so perhaps I didn't rank them as high as I would have liked to based on that fact.

But rather than power rank them based on their projected finish, wouldn't it be better to rank them according to their skill?

August 10th, 2004, 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

You already know what I think of the power rankings Pablo!

August 10th, 2004, 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

i think the lions will be somewhere around 18, with indy and philly being the teams to beat.

August 11th, 2004, 1:49 am
All State

i agree with most of the rankings. i like the jags and leftwich this year to be a surprise team. GB? lol

August 11th, 2004, 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]