View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 2:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Let's see what Kelly Butler can do 
RIP Killer

Post Let's see what Kelly Butler can do
With McDougle being a FA this year it will be interesting to see what the Lions decide to do with him. He has played OK, but he has also had a bad groin (ouch) much of the season.

One of the decision points may rest with the ability of draft pick Kelly Butler who was considered a "steal" by many at that point in the draft. Lets give this kid some playing time to see what he has got. The running game can't get any worse. He is too big to be a guard, right tackle is the ideal spot for him so give him a few snaps Mooch.

BTW (more on the rookies) - Chris Cash didn't show up on the injury report but didn't make the Lions 45 man active roster this week. Hummm? Looks like third round pick Keith Smith has impressed the coaching staff with his play (mostly in the nickle) this year. Speaking of the Nickle, that means the Lions have 3 rookies (Smith, Lehman and Lewis) playing in that package...

November 9th, 2004, 11:08 am
Profile WWW
All State

we don't know anything about Butler, it would be nice to see him get some action. kieth smith is playing pretty well now that he is getting a chance, i didn't realize they scratched cash...

November 9th, 2004, 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Butler didn't look agressive at all when run blocking in the pre-season. He doesn't play low enough, and people can overpower him. I guess it's worth a try, things can't get any worse, but I don't know. I think we just need to change the running game to fit Jones' style better, that's about all we can do right now. Maybe we can bench Loverne, move Woody to LG, McDougle to RG, and play Butler at RT, but that is making a lot of moves and I don't think this team is going to do such a thing. But something needs to be changed.

November 9th, 2004, 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'd like to see Woody play some center, perhaps next year if they can add a couple of guards. At least he gives the Lions some flexibility. They are going to really need to address the line in the offseason (FA & draft) - should be interesting to see what they do. Loverne isn't cutting it, he wont be starting next year. If both McDougle and Raiola are not resigned there should be at least a 60% turnover along the line.

November 10th, 2004, 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

McDougle and Raiola are the two guys i hope we dont re-sign. They probley would not start on any other line in the NFL. The line needs to be #1 on the Lions draft and FA board. IMO

November 10th, 2004, 11:32 am
All State

in fairness to stockar, the guy has been hurt and battled through the problems which limits his effectiveness. the right side of the line has also been stronger than the left.

raiola has to go...

November 11th, 2004, 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

I love it. He is the weakest part of the line in my opinion and the center spot needs to be addressed. I think McDougle can be a solid lineman and when healthy he is adequate.

I was excited to read about Jones being the "featured" back, I think that will help the line look better as well.

November 11th, 2004, 1:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

McDougle is not a bad lineman when healthy Ill admit that, but he will ask for more money than he is worth.

November 11th, 2004, 1:11 pm
Stadium Announcer

Good point. I definitely don't want them to overpay to keep him.

November 11th, 2004, 2:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Let's assume they let Raiola go. I personally don't think that he is one of the league's elite centers, as he has been referred to in the past and somtimes he doesn't seem to be a servicable one either. Where do the Lions go from there? Does anyone know of any good centers in the league that will be on the f/a market? Any help on this one would be appreciated.

November 24th, 2004, 6:59 am
All State

Let's assume they let Raiola go. I personally don't think that he is one of the league's elite centers, as he has been referred to in the past and somtimes he doesn't seem to be a servicable one either. Where do the Lions go from there? Does anyone know of any good centers in the league that will be on the f/a market? Any help on this one would be appreciated.

well remember woody can play guard or center so the lions have flexibility there. i think they may have better luck adding guards and moving woody to center but i haven't looked at the fa list for olinemen yet.

November 24th, 2004, 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

Post Woody will never play center for this team....
The Lions want him at LG word is that they will retain Raiola per Tom K.... the guards in FA this year are good... Andruzzi and Marco Rivera who are 2 VERY solid guards. Tom K. also says that they think Raiola just needs to work on a few techniques to be better that is why they are keeping him.... this comes from mlive.com/lions under the 23rd transcript.

November 24th, 2004, 7:53 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I forgot about Woody being able to play guard.....good point. I have a couple of questions about him and the O-line that I will ask in a new topic.

November 25th, 2004, 7:50 am
QB Coach

The offensive line has improved the past few games. We will get a real test this week facing Bertrand Berry, and Clancy Pendergast (the coordinator), as he is sure to draw up some blitzes.

I'm so happy, I get to see the Cardinals for the first time this season!

December 1st, 2004, 1:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]