View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 11:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Enjoyed the UDFA Article, but.... 
Fair Weather Fan

Post Enjoyed the UDFA Article, but....
Clifford Johnson was waived before camp and Kabongo is playing in Canada.

Also Trejo is in a dogfight for b-u FB with Paul Smith further lessening Beltons chance at a roster spot.

Good luck to Brandt unseating the roadgrader Owens for the #3 TE spot. Owens could very well break out this year as a pass catcher instead of just a blocker.

Ahmed Childress most likely has the best chance of making the roster, but, he needs to outplay Pritchett or Marcus Bell to hope for the 4th DT spot. Jared Devries is also a player in that he is a technically sound backup DE that can move inside to DT if necessary.

I too am rooting for Pearson, Lovelady can play center as well as Woody, so the OL already has some pretty versatile depth. Perhaps he can make enough of a splash to push Lovelady off the roster. With Page looking more like an OT than a G, its hard to say who will stay and who will go.

All in all its going to be difficult, barring more injuries like Boss', for these UDFA to make it on this already young team.

August 12th, 2004, 12:32 pm
QB Coach

I sent the article in for submission before Johnson was waived, and never went out of my way to edit it.

Belton actually has about no shot at making the team, because of our backs on the roster, sorry if I made it seem like he had a chance. I just liked how he looked in camp and the more you read about him, the more you like.

The thing that concerns me about Childress is yes he has the size and plays well, but he has attitude problems that caused him to go undrafted. He rarely gives 100% when playing on the field. I don't think that Detroit would give up the veteran leadership they have in Pritchett for someone like that, unless he does something in the pre-season.

You mentioned Page. I've read numerous places that he isn't performing well at all in the OG position and can't even beat out Loverne! ugh...so much for that pickup, but I want to see him for myself.

August 12th, 2004, 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Fair Weather Fan

I wonder if the have tinkered with moving McDougle back inside to OG and looking at Page as the ORT, that would keep Loverne off the field, and Woody played LG as a Pat.

I've heard the same thing about Childress, it seems he is an animal when motivated but tends to coast to much. I think he needs to watch "Rudy" a few times and find some heart. You hate to see talent wasted due to laziness, maybe not being drafted will give him a kick in the pants.

All in all, its going to be tough for these UDFA, based on the number of holes the org was able to fill via the draft and FA. Hopefully injuries stay to a minimum and we can see how much talent we have and what holes still need to be addressed.

GO LIONS!!

August 12th, 2004, 12:54 pm
QB Coach

You are exactly right Magoo, because of the sudden explosion of youthful talent on this team, it's going to be very hard for all these rookies, much harder than it would have been a year ago.

I too wish that McDougle was playing at RG, it seems that he would fit well there and Page is truly a RT, not a RG. He isn't making the transition well, while I think McDougle could play well there. Should be interesting to see what Mariucci does.

August 12th, 2004, 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]