View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 we need to get the word out! 
Towel Boy

Post we need to get the word out!
3-4 defense, need I say more.....

our players are suited for this style of defense.
jauron needs to blitz and cause confusion! :twisted:

December 7th, 2004, 3:25 pm
Baton Girl

I disagree on so many levels. Big Baby would become less effective and just end up clogging the middle and lose his chance to make plays. Our ends are good and our second DT's and that rotation is amazing. Our linebackers are not the large outside type that are used on the ends in a 3-4 like the Pats. We are not suited for this at all and our defense would do much worse... our lb'ers are undesized and would be destroyed in the middle. All we need to do is blitz more and we will do great things.

December 7th, 2004, 4:24 pm
Site Admin

yea...most teams aren't Arizona and we cannot get away with prevent d all the time.

December 7th, 2004, 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I like the idea of blitzing more, as Jauron doesn't do that enough.

But our 4-3 defense as it is is fine with the personnel we currently have. I don't think we have the people to make a 3-4 productive.

December 7th, 2004, 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

4-3. With two good down lineman, and 2 D.E.'s rushing the passer well, there is no need to break up the group. If you go to a 3-4, you will put too many linebackers on the field that Detroit doesn't have. Besides, I just can't stand the 3-4. Seems too ineffective at stopping the run.

December 8th, 2004, 8:45 am
RIP Killer

First, I'm not a huge fan of the 3-4. Second, I agree with most of the posts about the Lions personnel. The defense is built for the 4-3. The Lions have a nice 8 man rotation along the d-line. A 3-4 kills that rotation. Tackles Big Daddy and Big Baby are the strength of the defense, a 3-4 would kill that. The Lions have also gotten decent pressure on the QB most games this year and Hall is having a career year.

In addition, as Brian pointed out our LB group is not built for a 3-4. Our OLBs (Bailey, Davis, Curry, Lehman, Lewis, etc.) is a group built on speed, not size.

I do agree that the D needs to be more aggressive, including blitzing more - especially with the speed at LB. The rookie Alex Lewis looks very fast on the blitz, I'd utilize that more.

December 8th, 2004, 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]