View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2018, 3:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mooch wants Mike, Millen wants Joey 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Kurt Warner again? What's your real name, are you his agent? Warner is poop!!! I would much rather see McMahon start.

January 10th, 2005, 9:32 am
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Inside Dish: Lions could be interested in Warner

By Dan Pompei - SportingNews

It looks like QB Kurt Warner could be more popular this offseason than he was a year ago. In addition to the Bears, another potential suitor is the Lions. Detroit wants to bring in a veteran capable of challenging Joey Harrington, and Warner could be an ideal fit. Having WRs Roy Williams and Charles Rogers and RB Kevin Jones makes Detroit an attractive spot for a quarterback. . . .

I don't want Kurt Warner. He would be worse than Harrington behind the helm. I'm going to support Joey and the Lions for one more year. If the team can't get it done with Joey quarterbacking for one more year, I will support a change. Usually you will 'get' the offense by your 4th season, and you should be able to judge whether or not Harrington is your quarterback.

It just seems like no one wants Joey. Mornhinweg wanted to draft Quentin Jammer, and was adament to drafting Harrington. Mooch doesn't like Joey, and neither do the Lions faithful. He gets booed constantly, and is the definition of inconsistency. The entire team doesn't seem to respect him or let him do his thing. I don't think he is ever going to develop into an elite QB in the NFL. We shall see, give him a season with Rogers and Williams out there together.

January 10th, 2005, 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Actually as it turns out, perhaps Millen did want Joey afterall:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0501/09/d02-54523.htm

Depending on what you've heard or read for three years, it was either Lions Owner William Clay Ford, his son, Bill Jr., or departed personnel chief Bill Tobin who forced President Matt Millen to draft Joey Harrington on the first round in 2002.

Dan Miller, sports director at Fox 2 in Detroit, has a close association with Millen and has an insight on the 2002 pick.

It wasn't the Fords or Tobin who made the call on Harrington, Miller says. It was Millen, which the Lions president had insisted all along.

Miller used to host a weekly radio show with Millen long before either landed in Detroit, and they've maintained a good relationship.

In the spring of 2002, Miller was tabbed by the Fox network to do play-by-play of some NFL Europe games. The network uses the games for its broadcasters in much the way NFL teams use them for players -- as a testing ground to evaluate and develop talent. Miller passed his test. Fox uses him on a handful of games each season.

Back to the 2002 draft debate. Miller was about to depart for Europe, and he called Millen to get his take on the draft.

"It was two weeks before the draft," Miller said earlier this week. "I called Matt and asked him who the Lions were going to draft."

The proviso was that Miller was going to be out of the country, and Millen's answer was safe with him.

Millen said he was going to draft Harrington, the quarterback from Oregon, Miller said.

The top two picks were locked in. Houston wanted David Carr, the quarterback from Fresno State, with the first pick. Carolina was going to take defensive lineman Julius Peppers of North Carolina with the second pick. Harrington landed in Detroit.

Miller was in Europe when the draft was conducted. He had no idea there was any controversy about the pick until he got back to Detroit. Millen was stoic when he announced that the Lions had drafted Harrington, but that was because of the fallout it would cause with the coaching staff, not because he had drafted a quarterback, Miller said.

January 10th, 2005, 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

When the rumors started flying that we would select Joey Ballgame instead of Jammer, I thought that the Lions couldn't possibly make such a dumb mistake. Then I heard that they did and have been suffering through 3 years of check-downs and short 3rd down throws knowing that if i had Millen's job, we would have had a building block on defense with a shut down corner, an excellent WR in morton, and a devoloping qb in mcMike. But who am i to talk. I'm just a stupid kid. millen had years of experience in broadcasting.

January 10th, 2005, 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

You would think that after 3 years this would be a dead topic. Either way, Detroit needed a quarterback, just like they could have used Jammer. I just hope that Joey works out and becomes the quarterback they envisioned he would be.

Go Lions 2005

January 11th, 2005, 2:20 am
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

BUMP!

June 16th, 2005, 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2