View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 8:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Early Lions Mock Draft - Rd 1 & 2 
QB Coach

If we trade down...then we can get Heath Miller

That's what we are going to have to do. Trade down. Look at the top prospects.

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/index.html

They are all QB, RB, and WR. And since we are set in those positions, we don't really need a top 10 pick.

Get ready for the Lionbacker Mock Draft Thursday!

January 11th, 2005, 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm new, my name is Crazy and I love the Lions.

Welcome CRAZY, you should fit right in.

Brian - you are the "NFL Draft Expert" - I can't wait to see your mock draft!

I'm not sold on Heath - are you? If we trade down (say to the 17-20 range) and both Heath Miller (TE) and Thomas Davis (S) are avialble - who do you take?

January 11th, 2005, 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

my name is Crazy and I love the Lions.

lol...I just read that again and that totally goes without saying...you cannot love the Lions and not be on the edge IMO :lol:

That gets promoted to my sig!

January 11th, 2005, 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I think that Thomas Davis would make a very poor safety in the NFL after watching some tape on him, and reading about him. He doesn't have the speed and with these new rules, he will be burnt frequently. While he has hard hitting skills, he doesn't have the coverage skills or the speed to be successful in the NFL. He is a late first round pick, and even 17-20 would be a stretch for Davis.

I'm more sold on Heath Miller, and trading down a few spots to get him would be a solid scenario. He was the leading receiver for the Cavaliers, and is the complete package. He is a solid blocker, has much better hands that people realize he has, and has been playing in a pro style offense the past few seasons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to throw out a name of an underclassman who just declared. CB/S Jason Allen, Tennessee. He has played CB and safety, probably projects best at CB but could be a solid safety. This guy has been completely overlooked by every scout. When every safety this season has had a down season, he put up 120 tackles and 2 INTs, as well as 2.5 TFL and 1.5 sack. Those are great numbers. He runs around a 4.35 40, the guy has blazing speed. Also has good leap with 38-40 inches. I really think that he will be the first safety off the board. Davis just doesn't project well in the NFL.

But Allen isn't worth the 10th selection in the draft, so trading down to get him would be my new dream scenario. I'm a big Allen fan, he is a team player and one of the most overlooked players in this draft.

January 11th, 2005, 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

I think if Rolle slips to 10 he is a must have...he is a big time playmaker and the lions could find ways to get him in the game at safety or move bryant

January 11th, 2005, 7:43 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

The Lions most pressing needs are OG and SS which means the Lions will look to free agency to fill these needs.

As far as the draft goes I see the Lions either taking an offensive or defensive linemen.

1) The Lions' two weakest areas where secondary and offensive line. I think the Lions will sign an OG but let Stocker walk leaving a whole at OT. The Lions could draft a LT at #10 and move Backus to the less demanding RT position.

2) The DL might have been the strength of the team but that's not saying much. DT could be a problem if Bell is not resigned or Prichett retires and Wilkerson is not getting any younger either. DE could be upgraded I'm not sure Redding is best suited for a starting role. Edwards and DeVires have proven to be at best role players.

3) The Lions won't be spending a high draft pick on QB, WR, RB, CB due to the investments they've already made in other players. And C, OG, LB, FB, TE and S are generally not top 10 positions unless special players like Winslow or Taylor are available, which they are not.

Trading down is always an option but it always takes two to trade. So you can't count on doing that.

January 12th, 2005, 12:35 am
QB Coach

Great thoughts Leo, I have to say I agree with the majority of them, heck, I agree with all of them.

And welcome to the Boards! :idea:

January 12th, 2005, 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I agree, great post Leo. I just pray to God that we don't draft an oliner in the first round.

Brian, could you tell me what you don't like about Thomas Davis. Not being an NCAA fan, I have never seen him play. A lot of the mocks on the web have us taking him. What about Eramus James? He seems like a great option.

January 12th, 2005, 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

From what I have seen of Davis, I haven't been impressed. Scouts have made comparisons to Sean Taylor, Roy Williams, etc, and he is not in that ball park. He is more of a linebacker than a safety, his speed just isn't up to par, especially in the NFL with the emphasis on safeties that can run. I could see him becoming a great OLB in the NFL, or a slow safety. His coverage skills are below average. On the other hand, he has great tackling technique, knows where to position himself, and hits like a mack truck, delivering a punishing blow. I have him ranked as my #1 safety, but that's not due to the fact that he is deserving, rather this safety class is weak.

James is getting overhyped by Kiper. He is my 5th ranked defensive end in this draft. This draft is absolutely loaded with defensive ends. There are 5 ends (6 if you count Shawne Merriman) that had a season of 36 tackles, 11.5 TFL, and 8 sacks. They were all similar production wise, so off-season workouts and team needs will determine where they go. I like Pollack, his attitude, and his productivity from season to season. James has lingering injury concerns and could be a one year wonder. Spears is more of a defensive tackle than an end. Dan Cody doesn't have great strength and won't overpower people. Roth is relentless, almost too reletless, and needs to bulk up a bit, IMO.

1. David Pollack (6'3", 276): 48 tackles, 14.5 TFL, 9.5 sacks
2. Marcus Spears (6'4", 298) (DT/3-4 DE): 38 tackles, 17 TFL, 9 sacks
3. Dan Cody (6'5", 270): 38 tackles, 16 TFL, 9 sacks
4. Matt Roth (6'4", 270): 49 tackles, 15 TFL, 8 sacks
5. Erasmus James (6'4", 263): 36 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 8 sacks

All are first round selections, and they could concievably go in different orders. Cody could go higher, because of his consistent production the past 2 seasons. (He has 101 tackles, 33 TFL, 18 sacks the past 2 seasons against top Big 12 competition.) Roth and Pollack have also performed well for 3 years now, Spears hasn't recorded a great season yet, and may not be a double-digit sack man in the NFL, but his size and intangibles would be perfect for a 3-4 base defense.

Again, these players are all ranked close to each other. It's all about what team's preference is.

January 12th, 2005, 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2