View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 1st, 2014, 5:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Needs Poll 

What postions should the Lions focus on in FA and Draft
Wide Reciever 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Offensive Tackle 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Offensive Guard 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Defensive End 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Backup Quaterback 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Safety 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
Tight End 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Needs Poll 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Needs Poll
What are your thoughts? It seems to be the most popular topic now.

January 6th, 2005, 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
All State

safety. the safety is a key against both the run (ss) and pass (fs) in todays nfl. the lions currently have glaring holes at both positions with marion and walker. perhaps holt can play fs, but we haven't seen him much. i'm most interested in adding a quality strong safety this offseason. i think will change the makeup of the entire defense.

January 6th, 2005, 6:29 pm
Profile WWW

I agree with the safety being the most pressing issue at this time. I would like us to get a veteran QB to give Joey some competition which in doing so I think would help Joey be a better QB.

We'll see won't we?

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 6th, 2005, 7:42 pm

I have been extremly impressed with Holt everytime he has played this year. He had play as corner last year becasue of the injuries at DBack, but with Bryant, we have one phenomal corner and one really good one. If we could make a trade like last year and get two 1st round draft picks, we could get our SS in Thomas Davis and get our DE in one of the Codys from USC or Oaklahoma or maybe even Kiwi. Don't know how that would go down. The offensive talent in this draft isn't as good as last year, I don't know if anybody wants to move up. Maybe if Millen can snow Dallas into thinking he wants their pick like with Cincy last year. That might set things up for another big draft.

January 6th, 2005, 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

please remember that stephen alexander drops were pretty prominent in three of the teams losses. also look what a solid te did for drew breese...just imho

January 6th, 2005, 10:03 pm
RIP Killer

please remember that stephen alexander drops were pretty prominent in three of the teams losses. also look what a solid te did for drew breese...just imho

There is no doubt that safety is a huge need, one I'm sure that will be addressed by the Lions. However, they do have Marion under contract until 2007, Walker under contract until 2006 and Holt with a contract through this year.

I voted for tight end because the Lions have no tight end under contract unless you count Leonard Stephens who just resigned with the Lions after spending some time on the practice squad last year. And I'm not counting him just yet.

Just think of an offense with Rogers, Williams, Jones and a strong tight end. That could be scary. Plus, given how much Joey likes to check down in this offense, a tight end who can make plays is important. Seeing young guys like Gates in San Diego and Whitten in Dallas was impressive this year.

I would have to say safety on defense, tight end on offense and if I had to pick one given the current state of the team.

Heck, only one guy caught 100+ passes this year and he was a TE (Gonzo).

January 6th, 2005, 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

IMO Safety is the most glaring need followed by OLine, TE, DE

January 7th, 2005, 9:54 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Safety....through free agency. I would hate to see them have to break in a rookie. Guard.

January 7th, 2005, 10:47 am
Site Admin

I voted safety cause we still make runners like Antwain Smith look way to good. But all the top QBs seem to use their TEs bigtime especially in the Red Zone. Watching Ben Troupe make some clutch grabs vs us last game made me want a very good TE even more. Not that he has been a stats monster but it is just making key plays and that is exactly what we are missing. It would also be nice/reassuring cause I have some reasonable fears about our recievers ability to make it through an entire season unscathed. C.Rodgers thusfar has a glass frame so having one of our prime recievers coupled with a skilled TE still gives our passing game some punch.

I said safty but I would be fine with a later round safety or a FA pickup. I do not want to really EVER draft a Olinmen in the 1st round again cause it just hasn't panned out at all...damn do I miss ALLPRO Jeff Hartings...hell gimme Mike Compton back too. I think we are very much ok at the DE position and this young core seems to have been "gellin" this year. Goodman and Cash as DBs (if we still have em) need to either play or be gone for some solid vets cause we cannot afford them to play like rookies still as well. But to me...a first round draft pick needs to be spent on a top TE unless you have a saftey like Roy Williams available. But I trust Millen with the ability to find good value later on for that.

January 7th, 2005, 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

another route may be to go with rolle or marlin at cb in the first and move bryant to safety...when he played he was beaten deep multiple times and did not impress me.

I still believe that a top te will force the opp dbs and lbs to hesitate with play action and force them to play on thier heels

January 8th, 2005, 12:43 am
QB Coach

I still believe that a top te will force the opp dbs and lbs to hesitate with play action and force them to play on thier heels

Which is EXACTLY the reason I was pro-drafting Winslow. You aren't going to see any tight ends in a long time come out that are going to be like him. He is a gamebreaker, and everytime I see a team with a tight end that controls the offense, it helps the QB have a safety valve, it helps the WRs keep safeties off them, and it helps the running game as people have to concentrate on what the tight end is doing in the middle of the field. I wouldn't have passed up on Roy Williams and Teddy Lehman for Kellen Winslow, but Winslow will be something special.

January 8th, 2005, 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

i do not see a solid te in this draft ..but who was real high on gates...i believe the canes have a te that has good hands and can block a little maybe rnd 3 or 4?...but i would like to see another rolle or jackson in the def backfield

January 8th, 2005, 1:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]