Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Highlight Reel 1/25
Tuesday, January 25, 2005
Killer notes from Monday's WDFN interview
In his Monday interview with Stoney and Wojo on Sports Radio 1130 Detroit, Tom Kowalski clarifies his belief -- Matt Millen pushed hard for improvements in the offense, and Steve Mariucci will interview who he wants and make the hire. So my previous paraphrase that Millen's fingerprints will be all over it is an overstatement. With that, here are the notes from the interview.
- Killer admits ?I have no idea? who the offensive coordinator will be.
- He clarifies: Millen is the guy who insisted they do something to fix the offense, but Mariucci is doing the interview and will make the hire.
- None of the Lions? assistants will get the O.C. job.
- It?s still wide open. The ?leader? is McCarthy. He doesn?t know if the guy they want came free with the playoff losses this weekend.
- It may take until after the Super Bowl to get the coordinator.
- The Lions staff is at the Senior Bowl, and looking at offensive lineman and safety, as well as diamonds in the rough that?ll be there in the late rounds.
- If you could only take one, which would you take: Tom Brady or Bill Belichick? Tom hums and haws, and finally picks Brady.
- He thinks Norm Chow is brilliant at the college level, but the Lions likely want someone who has fought the NFL wars, and is battle tested.
- Vick was trying to make plays with his feet, and because he was looking for holes to run through, he didn?t have a track on his receivers like McNabb did. McNabb keeps his head up to see what?s going on all the time.
- Linebackers effectively mirrored Mike Vick?s every move, forcing him to throw.
- Once the Eagles took control, it was hard to get Dunn and Duckett running
- He doesn?t see the Lions drafting Antrel Rolle, the CB from Miami, unless he also plays safety.
- As regards to free agency, they will pay dough for a back-up QB and a No. 3 receiver. If one of their guys leaves, then they?ll replace that position.
- Stockar McDougle may not get the offer he?s looking for on the market. The longer it goes on, the better chance he?ll be back.
- They could take a stud defensive end at the No. 10 spot because Kalimba Edwards hasn?t shown anything.
- New England could score 40 against the Eagles. ?I will not flop on this.?
Thanks to Jeff Cottrell for the notes
Joe Fauria, MVP!